P4C800 won't boot...

adeseta596

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2005
I installed a 3.4Ghz Prescott on my Asus P4C800 Deluxe today. It replaced my 2.8 Northwood. Everything went perfect. The system booted right up after I changed some BIOS settings. I did some heat cycling for the Arctic Silver 5... Heating it up to 70*C, running for a while, and shutting the system down so it could cool.

After a while I decided to raise the FSB a little bit. The system wouldn't start XP, so I upped the voltage to 1.45v. It started fine. Then I tried to restart to twek some BIOS settings, but the BIOS froze up every time I went into the CPU setting page. It would become unresponsive and go back to the first BIOS screen with the time and everything. I was forced to resart everytime I went to this screen. I could go to other screens like the boot screen without a problem.

So I said to myself "Great, the Bios is corrupt".

Time to reflash. It took me a few hours to find a floppy drive, get the files together, and get the AFUDOS.exe to work properly. When the planets aligned just right, the program started working. It stopped after a minute and said "Main BIOS checksum is bad". WTH???

I restarted (only option). The comp is now is big, big trouble. It won't boot. Drives fire up, all the fans turn on, but no video. I can't boot from any drive. Fun, fun.

I cleared the CMOS. Nothing. I removed RAM and my 9800xt, NOTHING. The little green light doesn't flash or anything. Asus sucks. I now see the light. Why couldn't they have some sort of visible error report system???

And now the comp turns off after 30 secs or so. It just turns off. The little green LED stays on, but the system acts like I pressed the power button. I seriously doubt this is a power supply issue, because that would be one hell of a coincidence.

Any thoughts? I'm about to drop 150 bucks on a new mobo, but that wouldn't be cool. Why did the BIOS mess up in the first place?

Specs:
Asus P4c800 Deluxe
P4 3.4 Prescott and Spark7
9800xt
60gig Maxtor SATA drive
140gig WD
DVD and CD-RW drives
400w Thermaltake PSU

-Anthony

adeseta596

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2005
Ahhh...
Scratch that thing I said about the comp turning off. I had unplugged the HSF fan accidently!!! Luckily, no damage. Still not booting up, though.