Anyone using WEP with WRE54G

I have spent several hours trying to get a Linksys WRE54G to work with WEP
enabled. I have a WRT54G router. Following the Linksys install
instructions I disable encryption in the router and plug in the WRE54G. I
press the auto-install button and it installs. Everything seems to be
working fine. When I enable WEP either first in the WRE54G or first in the
router, the red light goes on on the WRE54G which appears to mean it is not
installed. Has anyone gotten this to work?

What firmware are you using with the WGR54G? Make sure you have
upgraded the firmware to at least v.2.02.2. The latest firmware is
3.01.3. What OS are you using? I'm assuming it is Windows XP.

According to the Linksys website, do the following:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wre54g_ug.pdf
Common Problems and Solutions
1. The Wireless-G Range Expander will not connect to my Wireless-G
network.
Go through this checklist:
• Verify that your PC can communicate with your wireless network.
• Press the Range Expander’s reset button (with a pin or a pen) for
five seconds. This should reset the
Range Expander’s settings back to their default.
• Disconnect the Range Expander’s power for 30 seconds. Then, connect
the power again.
• Press the Auto configuration button on the side of the Range
Expander. As long as it is within range of an
access point or wireless router that has disabled WEP, it should
communicate with it.
2. The Setup Wizard does not detect the Range Expander.
Go through this checklist:
• Press the Range Expander’s reset button (with a pin or a pen) for
five seconds. This should reset the
Range Expander’s settings back to their default.
• Disconnect the Range Expander’s power for 30 seconds. Then, connect
the power again.

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/qinstalls/wre54g_qi.pdf

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:14:48 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:

>I have spent several hours trying to get a Linksys WRE54G to work with WEP
>enabled. I have a WRT54G router. Following the Linksys install
>instructions I disable encryption in the router and plug in the WRE54G. I
>press the auto-install button and it installs. Everything seems to be
>working fine. When I enable WEP either first in the WRE54G or first in the
>router, the red light goes on on the WRE54G which appears to mean it is not
>installed. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Just Me, D

The LinkSys web site states a minimum firmware of 2.02.2 for the WRT54G
router to me compatible with the WRE54G. What is the current firmware
version on your WRT54G router?

David

Dave G wrote:
> I have spent several hours trying to get a Linksys WRE54G to work with WEP
> enabled. I have a WRT54G router. Following the Linksys install
> instructions I disable encryption in the router and plug in the WRE54G. I
> press the auto-install button and it installs. Everything seems to be
> working fine. When I enable WEP either first in the WRE54G or first in the
> router, the red light goes on on the WRE54G which appears to mean it is not
> installed. Has anyone gotten this to work?

I am using firmware "2.04.3, Jun 24, 2004" and Win XP Pro with SP/2. I
have followed Linksys's directions several times and can get the WRE54G to
work without WEP but not after turning WEP on.

Dave G

"Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message
> What firmware are you using with the WGR54G? Make sure you have
> upgraded the firmware to at least v.2.02.2. The latest firmware is
> 3.01.3. What OS are you using? I'm assuming it is Windows XP.
>
> According to the Linksys website, do the following:
>
> ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wre54g_ug.pdf
> Common Problems and Solutions
> 1. The Wireless-G Range Expander will not connect to my Wireless-G
> network.
> Go through this checklist:
> . Verify that your PC can communicate with your wireless network.
> . Press the Range Expander's reset button (with a pin or a pen) for
> five seconds. This should reset the
> Range Expander's settings back to their default.
> . Disconnect the Range Expander's power for 30 seconds. Then, connect
> the power again.
> . Press the Auto configuration button on the side of the Range
> Expander. As long as it is within range of an
> access point or wireless router that has disabled WEP, it should
> communicate with it.
> 2. The Setup Wizard does not detect the Range Expander.
> Go through this checklist:
> . Press the Range Expander's reset button (with a pin or a pen) for
> five seconds. This should reset the
> Range Expander's settings back to their default.
> . Disconnect the Range Expander's power for 30 seconds. Then, connect
> the power again.
>
> ftp://ftp.linksys.com/qinstalls/wre54g_qi.pdf
>
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:14:48 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have spent several hours trying to get a Linksys WRE54G to work with WEP
>>enabled. I have a WRT54G router. Following the Linksys install
>>instructions I disable encryption in the router and plug in the WRE54G. I
>>press the auto-install button and it installs. Everything seems to be
>>working fine. When I enable WEP either first in the WRE54G or first in
>>the
>>router, the red light goes on on the WRE54G which appears to mean it is
>>not
>>installed. Has anyone gotten this to work?
>>

> Just Me, D

Please see my previous post.

Dave G

"David Chong" <davidchong@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> The LinkSys web site states a minimum firmware of 2.02.2 for the WRT54G
> router to me compatible with the WRE54G. What is the current firmware
> version on your WRT54G router?
>
> David
>
> Dave G wrote:
>> I have spent several hours trying to get a Linksys WRE54G to work with
>> WEP enabled. I have a WRT54G router. Following the Linksys install
>> instructions I disable encryption in the router and plug in the WRE54G.
>> I press the auto-install button and it installs. Everything seems to be
>> working fine. When I enable WEP either first in the WRE54G or first in
>> the router, the red light goes on on the WRE54G which appears to mean it
>> is not installed. Has anyone gotten this to work?

keith

Dave, I just got mine working. I am using a WRT54G router and the
WRE54G. Turns out I had to DOWNGRADE the firmware to 2.02.2. Anything
higher and as of today...it will NOT work. I spent days working on
debugging this.

I no have WEB working with the router and blue lights and everybody is
happy. Major Linksys flaw in router firmware...and their knowledgebase
article on this topic is incorrect as well. I emailed them. They need
to fix the firmware and in the interim, update the knowledgebase.

Try reseting the repeater using the button for 30 seconds, install new
firmware on the router (downlevel) and I bet everything will work even
with WEP.
Keith