help the noobie!! my comp won't start :*(

loneg1

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
My old pc from Gateway was damaged. The fan of the power supply was dead, causing overheating. However, all other parts worked fine. So I tried to buy new parts and build a new PC myself. I took the following out of my old comp, and put them on my new comp :

<A HREF="http://support.gateway.com/support/srt/docs.asp?sn=0029322400" target="_new"> Full computer specs of my old PC </A>

CD-RW/DVD Combo Drives -
HLDS 32X/10X/40X CD/RW - 16X DVD Combo Drive
<A HREF="http://support.gateway.com/s//CDROM/HLDS/5502414/5502414nv.shtml" target="_new"> Documents and Specs </A>

Floppy Drives -
Panasonic 1.44-MB Floppy Disk Drive Revision 7
<A HREF="http://support.gateway.com/s//FLOPPY/5502183/5502183nv.shtml" target="_new"> Documents and Specs </A>

Hard Drives -
Western Digital 40-GB 5M 40GPP Hard Disk Drive
<A HREF="http://support.gateway.com/s//HARDDRV/Westernd/5502080/5502080nv.shtml" target="_new"> Documents and Specs </A>

Followings are the new parts that I bought:

Chasis -
Thermaltake Tsunami Aluminum VA3000BNA
<A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/tsunami/bna/bna.htm" target="_new"> More info </A>

Motherboard -
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

CPU -
AMD Athlon 64 3500+

RAM -
Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO Xtra low latency

Graphic Card -
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT PCI-Express

SATA Hard Drive -
Seagate ST3160023ASRK Internal Barracuda 7200 160 GB SATA Hard Drive

Power Supply -
Antec TruePower 550-Watt Power Supply

Sound Card -
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Internal Sound Card

Monitor -
Iiyama 19" CRT Monitor Model LS902UT - Retail

I can turn on my computer, but no screen! it'd remains on, but nothing happens. I've tried putting 1 stick of RAM only, taking out sound card from motherboard, then turning on the computer. But still no luck :/ there's no beeping or anything.

Also, I've noticed that the activity LED on my Corsair RAM wasn't flashing when I turn on the computer. Does that mean my RAM is not compatible with my motherboard? Therefore unable to boot?

What other factors might be causing this? :*(

Please Please Please help the noobie ... thanks a loooooooooot !!!!!!!

***EDITED on 3/9/05 - Thanks to you guys .. the monitor problem was sovled! :D
I've installed my new graphic card, but the problem still remains, it won't freaking starrrt! :*(<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by loneg1 on 03/09/05 11:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Right off it sounds like a grounding issue or you something isn't completely inserted.
Go back to basics first:
1. Unplug the power to the comp!
2. Disconnect everything, remove the mobo and make sure that you don't have in too many posts. Every post should be used or removed. An unused post will short the mobo.
3. Install the mobo, HDD, RAM and vid card. Make sure that they are properly inserted/seated.
4. Try to start the comp. Make sure you note any beeps that the computer makes - if any.
5. Let us know the results.

pat

Expert
no.. he doesnt seem to have a video card ...

from his post:
My old monitor's input connector is "15-pin mini d-sub analog VGA." Seems like it isn't supported by my new motherboard. Is there any way to get my old monitor to work on my new comp? or should I buy a new monitor with certain input connector that is supported by this motherboard?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

pat

Expert
OMG...

Unless I read it wrong, do you have a video card??? I guess that you were using onboard graphic with your old gateway..

That motherboard doesnt have OB graphic, you need a video card

Sorry.. but I'm LOL ROTF if it is the case...

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, just a second while I wipe the tears out of my eyes! ROFLMAO! :lol:
OK, there aren't any SLI rigs with on-board video. I would recommend at least a 6600GT card for that motherboard. Something like <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-214&depa=1" target="_new">this.</A>

You will also want to reformat that drive as the differences between the two platforms are going to be too significant for a repair install. That would be an OK 40gb drive to use for data storage as a slave or secondary.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Cybercraig on 03/04/05 08:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

loneg1

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
AHAHAHAH .. this is such a great news, I seriously thought that I've already damaged some of my new parts :D LOLz
(there's no beeping or anything, that's why I was confused)

actually I didn't know that it doesn't have an on board graphic card (hey .. I'm a noob rememba :p). I did ordered a BFG Geforece 6800 GT, but I haven't receive it yet. And I might get another one in the future, that's why I chose this motherboard :D
thanks guys, I'm so happy, LOL

ohh ... and ... what should I do with my monitor :(
do I have to order a new one? or is there any way to get the existing one to work on my new comp :*(
if I have to .. does this one going to work?
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-172-050&depa=1" target="_new"> Iiyama 19" CRT Monitor </A>
I really like this one, and it supports up to
118 Hz @ 1024 x 768. Sound's great for gaming :)

hehe .. thanks again :p I luv you all!

=/ errrr....Guess I should have gone REALLY basic! ROFLMAO!
Loner - Does Pat have this one nailed? Do you have a video card?

:tongue: <font color=red>Have you read the FAQ? Searched for other posts on this topic?</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rugger on 03/04/05 10:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
"ohh ... and ... what should I do with my monitor :("

Get a better one... it wont be able to cope with the resolution and frequency of your new card if you want to really want it shine. The 6800 is a very good video card that will drive your game at high resolution and it would be a shame to cripple it with such a poor monitor. A nice Samsung CRT will be good and you will be able to play most of your game at 1280x1024 with this card. But that your choice.. the iiyama is overpriced if you plan to game only

Hey!! you gave me a nice laugh... thanks!!!

=/ no friggin' VIDEO CARD!!

*cracks a grin*

ROFLMAO!

loneg1

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I know I know .. my monitor sux .. but I have to bear with it, since I'm tie on budget :/
other parts had already cost me 1400 bux

I know there's something like USB 2.0 to PS/2 converter adapter exists, but is there anything that can convert 15-pin mini d-sub analog VGA to .. er .. whatever type of connector that this new motherboard requires (hey..I'm a noob .. what do you expect :p) ??

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
First time I heard...starting a computer without a video card. Not a good idea, but everybody is a noobie at one point and you just have to move on.

My sister even worse, don't even know how to plug the keyboard, mouse, and ... on the back of the computer. I say, she just lazy of hopeless. The back of the PC even have the picture where the plug goes.

Also a 15 inch monitor is unheard of. Most people now consider 17 inch monitor is the default size. Low on cash, then a refurb monitor will save you $$$.

<font color=red> Live long, Live to the fullest and be Bless </font color=red> :wink:
<font color=blue> ____________</font color=blue>
Aspire X-Alien / Antec SX1040B
P4 2.8B OC to 3.3 / AXP 1.67 OC to 1.9
Abit IC7 / Abit KR7A

endyen

Splendid
Just so you know, the graphics card must be installed, before your system will boot.
Your current xp install will not work with the new system.
You might be able to sell your old chip, and get enough money to by a decent used monitor. What is your old chip?

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Here in the UK a reasonable 17inch monitor will set you back about £85 or less in the states im guessing thats abot $110. If you have already spent $1400 Im sure you can spare another 100.

The new graphics cards normally come with DVI connectors for digital monitors. But since every CRT monitor I know of and most of the low end TFT monitors come with 15pin analog connectors all graphics card companies include adaptors with thier cards.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Your current monitor will work for now. But a 17" or 19" one to go with the new system will really be a pleasure to your eyes.

You can't plug your monitor into your computer until you have the graphics card installed. When the 6800gt (you did say it was a 6800gt, right?) comes in, you can get back to setting up your PC.

Mike.

loneg1

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
OMG!! you know what! I've just recieved my eVGA GeForce 6800 GT PCIe today, and I have install it on my motherboard right away. But my computer still won't start! :*(

The situation is the same. All the LEDs on my chasis were all lighted up(Power LED, Power SW, H.D.D LED, Reset SW), 2 fans on my power supply and cpu fan spinned for 3 seconds, and everything stopped(fans stopped, LED lights faded).

no matter how hard and how many times I press the power button on the chasis, it just won't start :*(
I've checked all the connectors, they are firmly attached.

what might be the possible reason? :*(

Pleassse! Xperts! please help the noobie again .. *TEARS*

pat

Expert
Is the SLI connector(the thing between the slots) set for non sli operation as the manual indicate? Or maybe the board is grounded.. Hey ! read the FAQ, the first post of that forum

loneg1

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
THANKS PAT! you were absolutely right! it was indeed because of grounding(I didn't know that it shouldn't be grounded on my case ... hehe)
However .. I'm facing another problem ...

I can turn on my computer now, but no screen! it'd remains on, but nothing happens. I've tried putting 1 stick of RAM only, taking out sound card from motherboard, then turning on the computer. But still no luck :/ there's no beeping or anything.

Also, I've noticed that the activity LED on my Corsair RAM wasn't flashing when I turn on the computer. Does that mean my RAM is not compatible with my motherboard? Therefore unable to boot?

What other factors might be causing this? :*(

pat

Expert
Did you check to make sure that the board is correctly configured for single video card operation?

Maybe the grounding damaged something on that motherboard

pat

Expert
Yes it is what I meant. Now, did you set the dongle(or whatever they call it) between the 2 PCIe slots for single card operation?

Maybe it could be a good idea to take the motherboard out if the case to make sure that it is not grounded again.

loneg1

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
"did you set the dongle(or whatever they call it) between the 2 PCIe slots for single card operation?"

sorry man, I don't really know what you are talking about, lol. I don't really remember seeing that in my manual, would you please explain it to me? :D

I just tried to put the Corsair 1gb RAM on my old computer, and it works. LEDs were flashing also. Well .. I don't know if it has anything to do with my new comp .. just mentioning

oww..it'd be a pain to take the motherboard out again, since I got all those messy cables tied up at proper places. But ya, I will definitely try it when I have time.

loneg1

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Ok .. I have something that I would like to clarify..
These are some of the steps that I did when I was building my new comp:

<A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-d/a8nsli-d_l.jpg" target="_new"> This is the picture of my motherboard </A>
On the bottom right of the pic, there are 4 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets(2 Blue & 2 Black). On my manual, it says the 1st socket on the top is "DIMM_A1," the 2nd is "DIMM_A2," the 3rd is "DIMM_B1," and the 4th is "DIMM_B2." I inserted my 2 RAM sticks in DIMM_A1(Blue) & DIMM_B1(Blue) respectively, is that correct?

The only part that didn't come with a manual is my new Seagate SATA Hard drive. On my motherboard, there are 4 SATA Connectors(SATA1 ~ SATA4), and 4 SATA RAID Connectors(SATA_RAID1 ~ SATA_RAID4) right next to them. I wasn't sure which one to plug, so I just plugged the SATA signal cable in "SATA1" connector on my motherboard. After I found out that the computer failed to boot, I also tried to plug the SATA signal cable in "SATA_RAID1" connector(I don't know if there's any point of doing it, was just trying, lol), but problem remains.

For my old IDE hard drive, I followed the new motherboard manual. I connected the "slave" signal cable to the old hard drive, and set the jumper to "slave." For my old CD-ROM drive, I set it's jumper to "master." For floppy drive, I simply connected the FDD signal cable. And yes, I did connected all the appropriate power connectors to them.

If I did anything wrong, please correct me, thanks!

and by the way .. I don't have to format my old hard drive first or do I?

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
ok, if i have this right, then when you try to power up your machine you get no bios beeps, and nothing on the monitor. correct?

if you're not getting any bios beeps then the first thing i would recommend is checking that: A) you have a case speaker (ie: something to emit the beep in the first place), B) you have it connected properly (check your manual). if these checks don't fix the no-beeping problem (and i *really* hope they do) then you may have some serious issues. your mobo should give one 1 second beep at boot, if it does anything else, it's not good. :/

right, the dongle thing that pat was on about is (i think) the card in between the two pci-e slots on your mobo. it looks a lot like a sodimm ram card (laptop ram) that card has two sides, one for single disply, one for dual. make sure that the single disply side is in the slot.

your ram setup is correct, so you're ok there.

you need to have your master drive connected to any of the *non* RAID SATA connectors, preferably no.1 but it doesn't really matter. if your old drive is in slave mode it will have no effect on the boot so no you don't have to reformat it, in fact the best thing you can do is probably just disconnect it altogether until you get the system up and running and then add it in.

before your computer will boot, (and assuming your getting a post screen on the monitor) you need to install an OS(operating system). your new HD is blank so you my get an error like 'boot disk failure' or 'no boot device detected'..etc. this means you need to have a bootable windows XP/2000 disk. i'd strongly recommend XP-pro SP2 (windows XP professional with service pack 2) you can buy this retail or OEM if you can show proof of purchase for your mobo, proc, hd, etc (at least that's how it works in europe)

i'm sorry if i am oversimplifying things a little here, but seen as you tried to boot without a GC, i'm taking nothing for granted. :p

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
if you look at the photo of your mobo you posted, the dongle thing is the card with "ASUS-pantent pending" written on it.

the connections for your case/mobo speaker are on the colorful jumper block in the bottom left

and i sincerely hope that you have power connected to the molex power header beside the first pci-e bus.