Northbridge Temp Bizzare

LiquidRid

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Can anyone make sense of this:
I have an MSI 865PE Neo2 Motherboard with active cooling on the Northbridge. Now, I never really liked the flashing colors coming from the fan and I recently realized that the fan might be making unnecessary noise. I decided to unplug the northbrige fan and see what affects it had. SpeedFan 4.21 registered that the NB temp dropped from 54'C to something around 45'C. How does that make any sense? Why would removing a fan cause a decrease in temperature? And if these readings are correct, should I run the PC without the fan running "since it appears to make things worse"

LiquidRid

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Yes, the temperature climbs back to 54'C. I have no idea how this is possible. Why would a fan make things worse? I looked at the Swiftech you recommended, it looks good and my motherboard seems to has the mouting hooks (doesnt have mount holes though). Can anyone else understand why my NB fan registers higher temps when running?

endyen

Splendid
It is theoreticly possible that the fan is a heat source. Most commonly it requires a short cct in the windings.
The more current that flows through a device, the more power is used. Most of the power is released as heat energy. Friction losses would also be a factor.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I don't think that it would necessarily have to have a short circuit. If the bearings are going bad or the fan is otherwise in a bind this will put a increased load on the motor and the increased load will cause extra heat in the windings.
I wonder if that is the same fan that Abit is having problems with. Could be that both use the same supplier.

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek: </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>

LiquidRid

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Alright, I'm going to remove the NB fan (or atleast unplug it). Now, if SpeedFan 4.21 is registering a drop in temperature, I can trust that right? Can I assume that SpeedFan is registering the actual temperatures and that removing the fan is actually HELPING?

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Can I assume that SpeedFan is registering the actual temperatures and that removing the fan is actually HELPING?
I am looking forward to your resolution of the issue. My NB fan on IS7 is about to die. I am too chicken to unplug it. But if you succeed, I guess I may try turning it off and using just the heatsink to which the fan is currently attached. I am kinda hopeful that lack of fan will not make the temps go up to dangerous levels...

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

LiquidRid

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
I took out the NB fan completely. I left the heatsink as is. I let it run for 2.5 hrs and then I checked the temperature. Before removing the NB fan, SpeedFan registered a temp of 54-55'C. After removing it, the temperature is steady around 50'C. I made sure I had good case airflow though.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
You may try checking directly with MSI to see if they have a replacement fan. Other motherboard mfg. companies have been having N. bridge cooling fan problems and I suspect that there are bad fans that were supplied to several mobo mfg's.
If not at least check to be sure that your n. bridge is within operating temps. I would bet that 50 c. is OK but it won't hurt to be sure.

<font color=red>!#&$</font color=red> :eek: ---<font color=blue><i><b>There's the facts .... the twisted facts ... the distorted facts</font color=blue>,...<font color=red>THEN THERE'S JOURNALISM!</font color=red></i></b>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My NB fan on IS7 is about to die.

Is it squealing on start-up like mine?

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Could possibly be volt drop through mainboard - fault or just bad design.

I've worked with meters digital/analog and had varied readings when power was used by devices in connection with apparatus. This was caused by inefficient onboard voltage regulators.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I bet I can sqeal like the sound of that fan just as I well as I can sqeal like a girl!

Used to squealing, hmmmmmm.............Unleashes python........Wusy, "ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

LOL - you're gonna have him sqealing about lizards now.... :lol: