Jumper settings for Karajan Audio Module

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
The front audio connector (J4) on the Karajan Audio Module has 10 pins. The shipped defaults have jumpers on pins 1 & 2 and 5 & 6. Should I leave these as is? Do I need to set other/more jumpers? Seems like I would have to also (or instead?) connect some of the wires from the front jacks to this J4 connector. But I am not sure which wires and whether I have to remove the jumpers? I guess that I am just generally confused about this J4 connector. What tod I do?
I am using the Antec SuperLanboy case. So I have 2 USB and 2 sound-related jacks on the front.

The CD-in connector on the Karajan Audio Module allows for one CD to be plugged in to the module. What do I do if I have 2 CDs and a DVD in my system. How do I get sound to work for the others?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's like most onboard audio front-panel headers, the jumpers passthrough the sound to the rear ports. Removing the jumpers disconnects the rear ports, and you connect the front ports to that location. The pin definitions are listed in the manual.

Some cases have a loop on the connectors that allows them to tap the pins and keep them connected as a jumper would. This solution makes the front and rear connectors carry the same signal, it's good for people who would like to use their speakers sometimes, or turn them off and use headphones from the front ports.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
Thank you for your response. After finding the full manual on the DFI site, I am a bit smarter now. However, the material that I read brings up another question. Can I somehow enable both the front AND the rear speaker jacks? That would seem to be best case scenario? The manual makes me think that this is not allowed for some reason. However, the Antec case front speaker wire terminates in a plug that fits the 10-pin and it also has 7-colored wires that come out the back of the terminating plug that look like they could go on individual pins that makes me guess (a total guess) that the front and back scenario MIGHT be possible? How can I get both front and back working?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of cases have the looped cable I spoke of which serves the purpose of the jumper AND a lead. I'm speaking of a wire looped like the letter "h", where the two lower legs act as a jumper and the upper extension goes to the front jacks. You'll have to look at your cables to see if this is true for yours.

Of course you can't get good sound if you power your headphones and speakers from the same source, but using a looped cable you can turn off your speakers and plug in the headphones, or unhook the headphones and turn on the speakers, sending the sound to only one device at a time.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
Thanks. Can I ask another newbie question. I am using a Antec SuperLanboy case. It comes with a package containing three different kinds of screws. What is each type of screw for? I cannot seem to find any documentation about them

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Computers commonly use two kinds of screws, course and fine thread. Course thread is normally used for cards, power supplies, and hard drives, fine is normally used for floppy drives, CD-ROM's, etc.

The standoffs (the things that hold the motherboard up off the sheet metal) will use either the fine or course thread screws, you have to figure out which on your own.