a8v deluxe and SATAhdd

tedlogun

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
recently i bought a pair of wd1600 sata hard drives for my bros and my pcs, they are both 3200winnies but his has abit av8 and mine has asus a8v, all is fine on his pc but windows setyp just won't detect the hard drive, in the manual it say something like 'this mobo doesn't support plug and play sata drive' i think this could be the problem and i'm sure the hdd isn't broken because it was working in my old p4 prez system and i my bros system as a slave drive. i have ordered an ata drive anyway but is anyone else could just confirm my problem being the mobo, it would be a great help

pat

Expert
Some part I dont understand..
"because it was working in my old p4 prez system and i my bros system as a slave drive."

there is no such thing as master and slave with sata controller. I guess that you means that it was plugged on the second connector of the first controller.

Plug n play sata is hot swappable. It has nothing to do with the HDD not being detected. It means that you can power off the device and remove it from the system without shutting it down.

The first thing you should do is check your manual for any info about SATA connectors present on your board. If you dont have it, download it from Asus web site. Then you should have any info about where to plug the HDD to use the native controller or if the controller is provided by a thir party company like Promise or Sil. Native controller refer as the VIA controller and dont need drivers to be recognized by Windows. third party does need drivers. Look at your BIOS.. are the SATA controller activated??? Are they set for RAID or standard IDE controller?? Enable and set them for non-raid operation if necessary.

Now, go and do your homework.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

tedlogun

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
windows does detect the hdd, just windows setup doesn't, that means i cant install windows on the thing,
and by slave yes i did mean in the second controller for my bros mobo

great minds think alike, fools seldom differ...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Windows Setup will detect SATA drives if they're connected to a controller that's on the chipset and not in RAID mode. If they're connected to a separate controller chip, you have to use a driver from floppy at the F6 command.

You probably should have read the last Q&A in the Motherboards FAQ.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
All right.. I did the work for you and you have plugged you HDD to the Promise controller that this board has. One of the 2 underneath the lower blue connector. If you want to have your HDD recognized for installation, then you should either plug it to one of the connector at the right of of the southbridge(look at you manual if you dont know what is the southbridge) or leave it there and press f6 at installation whan asked at the bottom of the screen in the first minutes of the installation and have you PROMISE floppy ready when the install will ask you to specify third party drivers. Your manual explain that too.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

We never see these posts from the people that DO read the FAQ! Imagine the number of questions/posts the FAQ has prevented!