Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

wireless cameras and surveliance

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 12:35:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I am new to computers and wireless. I am gone alot from my house and
would like to know what is going on in there while I am gone.
(Especially children).

Is there a way I can monitor rooms in my house from my computer at work
over the internet without the kids being able to find out on my main
computer at home? (Which they use alot)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 2:10:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On 26 Oct 2004 08:35:45 -0700, ALWAYSLONELY8@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

>I am new to computers and wireless. I am gone alot from my house and
>would like to know what is going on in there while I am gone.
>(Especially children).
>
>Is there a way I can monitor rooms in my house from my computer at work
>over the internet without the kids being able to find out on my main
>computer at home? (Which they use alot)

Yep. I'll assume you have a broadband connection. Purchase one of
the numerous internet cameras, that have a built in web server. The
really fancy ones also have remote zoom, pan, and swivel. Set it up
on your LAN (ethernet or wireless) and point it at the kids. If you
don't have a static (fixed) IP address, subscribe to one of the
numerous dynamic DNS services so that you can find your home IP
address. Redirect the necessary IP ports, in your router
configuration, to the camera. It's all in the instructions. From
work, just run something like:
http://yourhome.dyndns.com:5000
where the URL is whatever you setup as a dynamic DNS name, and the
5000 is what I vaguely recall is the default port for DLink. Most
cameras include audio, so you can also listen.

Just one flaw in this method. If your kids have an IQ over 100, they
will instantly find the camera and find a way to defeat or circumvent
it. If their IQ is under 100, they will instantly find a way to
destroy it.

Drivel: I wanted to monitor what my worthless cat was inviting to
share his food. So, I setup a very large camcorder on a tripod, in
the living room, and pointed it at the doorway. I used an IR motion
detector to trigger the recorder. I got a few odd photos as various
neighborhood cats arrived, ate, and escaped. However, I had an
interesting suprise when I taped my neighbors 10 and 13 year old
brats, burglarizing my house. How they could have missed seeing the
camera is beyond my limited imagination. When they denied performing
the burglary, I played the video for their horrified parents.


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 9:09:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Check out www.X10.com

Just don't give out your email. (They will be emailing you 5 times a day!)

They have lots of wireless video equipment and multi camera solutions.


<ALWAYSLONELY8@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
news:1098804945.817956.33110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I am new to computers and wireless. I am gone alot from my house and
> would like to know what is going on in there while I am gone.
> (Especially children).
>
> Is there a way I can monitor rooms in my house from my computer at work
> over the internet without the kids being able to find out on my main
> computer at home? (Which they use alot)
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 9:17:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

network ip camera has nothing to do with your other comps, but their
connections will be in a router unless you have multiple ip from
isp-provider.

You may want to seek professional help.
Kids deserve privacy

<ALWAYSLONELY8@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
news:1098804945.817956.33110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I am new to computers and wireless. I am gone alot from my house and
> would like to know what is going on in there while I am gone.
> (Especially children).
>
> Is there a way I can monitor rooms in my house from my computer at work
> over the internet without the kids being able to find out on my main
> computer at home? (Which they use alot)
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 27, 2004 4:57:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in
< a carefully crafted URL will enable you to bypass the password protection

how about a hint on what u speak
I've several of those and despise the requirement of login/pass for cam
access other than admin
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 27, 2004 4:57:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:57:29 GMT, "bumtracks" <posted@usenet.bud>
wrote:

><William P.N. Smith> wrote in
>< a carefully crafted URL will enable you to bypass the password protection

>how about a hint on what u speak
>I've several of those and despise the requirement of login/pass for cam
>access other than admin

Webcam servers are a bit like Swiss cheeze. Full of holes.

For DCS-900, See:
http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Aug/1011100.html

Then, go unto to the search page at:
http://search.securitytracker.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl
and use "webcam" as the keyword for 22 assorted vulnerabilites with
webcams. You might also find the keywords "camera" (22 hits) or
"dlink" (13 hits) of interest.

Oh swell. Microsoft ASP.NET with a hole due to hand crafted URL's.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/10/07/aspnet_sec...


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
October 27, 2004 5:42:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
news:hqutn0t6bidemqb7l123v5asdro8bsq0s0@4ax.com...
>
> Webcam servers are a bit like Swiss cheeze. Full of holes.

It is interesting that builders of security devices seem to follow the
microsoft "security" model. I was working with one network accessable that
didn't even allow for a simple password. If you found the device you owned
it and the network it was running on.



>
> For DCS-900, See:
> http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Aug/1011100.html
>
> Then, go unto to the search page at:
> http://search.securitytracker.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl
> and use "webcam" as the keyword for 22 assorted vulnerabilites with
> webcams. You might also find the keywords "camera" (22 hits) or
> "dlink" (13 hits) of interest.
>
> Oh swell. Microsoft ASP.NET with a hole due to hand crafted URL's.
>
>
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/10/07/aspnet_sec...
>
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
!