wireless cameras and surveliance

I am new to computers and wireless. I am gone alot from my house and
would like to know what is going on in there while I am gone.
(Especially children).

Is there a way I can monitor rooms in my house from my computer at work
over the internet without the kids being able to find out on my main
computer at home? (Which they use alot)
6 answers Last reply
More about wireless cameras surveliance

    On 26 Oct 2004 08:35:45 -0700, ALWAYSLONELY8@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

    >I am new to computers and wireless. I am gone alot from my house and
    >would like to know what is going on in there while I am gone.
    >(Especially children).
    >
    >Is there a way I can monitor rooms in my house from my computer at work
    >over the internet without the kids being able to find out on my main
    >computer at home? (Which they use alot)

    Yep. I'll assume you have a broadband connection. Purchase one of
    the numerous internet cameras, that have a built in web server. The
    really fancy ones also have remote zoom, pan, and swivel. Set it up
    on your LAN (ethernet or wireless) and point it at the kids. If you
    don't have a static (fixed) IP address, subscribe to one of the
    numerous dynamic DNS services so that you can find your home IP
    address. Redirect the necessary IP ports, in your router
    configuration, to the camera. It's all in the instructions. From
    work, just run something like:
    http://yourhome.dyndns.com:5000
    where the URL is whatever you setup as a dynamic DNS name, and the
    5000 is what I vaguely recall is the default port for DLink. Most
    cameras include audio, so you can also listen.

    Just one flaw in this method. If your kids have an IQ over 100, they
    will instantly find the camera and find a way to defeat or circumvent
    it. If their IQ is under 100, they will instantly find a way to
    destroy it.

    Drivel: I wanted to monitor what my worthless cat was inviting to
    share his food. So, I setup a very large camcorder on a tripod, in
    the living room, and pointed it at the doorway. I used an IR motion
    detector to trigger the recorder. I got a few odd photos as various
    neighborhood cats arrived, ate, and escaped. However, I had an
    interesting suprise when I taped my neighbors 10 and 13 year old
    brats, burglarizing my house. How they could have missed seeing the
    camera is beyond my limited imagination. When they denied performing
    the burglary, I played the video for their horrified parents.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Check out www.X10.com

    Just don't give out your email. (They will be emailing you 5 times a day!)

    They have lots of wireless video equipment and multi camera solutions.

    <ALWAYSLONELY8@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
    > I am new to computers and wireless. I am gone alot from my house and
    > would like to know what is going on in there while I am gone.
    > (Especially children).
    >
    > Is there a way I can monitor rooms in my house from my computer at work
    > over the internet without the kids being able to find out on my main
    > computer at home? (Which they use alot)

    network ip camera has nothing to do with your other comps, but their
    connections will be in a router unless you have multiple ip from
    isp-provider.

    You may want to seek professional help.
    Kids deserve privacy

    <ALWAYSLONELY8@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
    > I am new to computers and wireless. I am gone alot from my house and
    > would like to know what is going on in there while I am gone.
    > (Especially children).
    >
    > Is there a way I can monitor rooms in my house from my computer at work
    > over the internet without the kids being able to find out on my main
    > computer at home? (Which they use alot)

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in
    < a carefully crafted URL will enable you to bypass the password protection

    how about a hint on what u speak
    I've several of those and despise the requirement of login/pass for cam
    access other than admin

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:57:29 GMT, "bumtracks" <posted@usenet.bud>
    wrote:

    ><William P.N. Smith> wrote in
    >< a carefully crafted URL will enable you to bypass the password protection

    >how about a hint on what u speak
    >I've several of those and despise the requirement of login/pass for cam
    >access other than admin

    Webcam servers are a bit like Swiss cheeze. Full of holes.

    For DCS-900, See:
    http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Aug/1011100.html

    Then, go unto to the search page at:
    http://search.securitytracker.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl
    and use "webcam" as the keyword for 22 assorted vulnerabilites with
    webcams. You might also find the keywords "camera" (22 hits) or
    "dlink" (13 hits) of interest.

    Oh swell. Microsoft ASP.NET with a hole due to hand crafted URL's.

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/10/07/aspnet_security_flaw_can_bypass_password.html

    > Webcam servers are a bit like Swiss cheeze. Full of holes.

    It is interesting that builders of security devices seem to follow the
    microsoft "security" model. I was working with one network accessable that
    didn't even allow for a simple password. If you found the device you owned
    it and the network it was running on.

    > For DCS-900, See:
    > http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Aug/1011100.html
    >
    > Then, go unto to the search page at:
    > http://search.securitytracker.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl
    > and use "webcam" as the keyword for 22 assorted vulnerabilites with
    > webcams. You might also find the keywords "camera" (22 hits) or
    > "dlink" (13 hits) of interest.
    >
    > Oh swell. Microsoft ASP.NET with a hole due to hand crafted URL's.

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/10/07/aspnet_security_flaw_can_bypass_password.html

    > Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Wireless Computers Cameras Internet Wireless Networking