Windows 7 Installation Disc Will Not Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riku64

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Hi, I'm new to this forum, forgive me if my problem has been solved before. I have tried searching everywhere for the problem I'm having.

This is my first PC build and all the hardware seems to be running fine.
My build consists of:
* Antec DF-85 Dark Fleet Full Tower
* Cooler Master eXtreme 500w Power Supply (RS-500-PCAR-A3)
* Asus Crosshair IV Formula
* AMD Phenom II x6 1055t 2.80GHz 125W ( I have one four pin power plug installed by the CPU)
* XFX HD5750 1GB DDR5 ( I have one six pin power plug installed )
* Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 (PVS34G2000LLKN)
* Western Digital 1TB Black Edition (WD1002FAEX)
* Asus Blu-Ray Combo Drive (BC-08B1LT)
* i-Concepts Wireless Keyboard/Mouse (62150NS)

Everything boots fine.
When I insert Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Installation Disc and reboot the system it goes through the normal boot screens, and the video cuts off, The Blu Ray Drive looks like its reading for a while then stops. No reboot no video nothing.

Now at first I thought that the Blu Ray Drive was broken, But I tried the Motherboard Support DVD and it booted into that.

Next I tried using vLite to make an unattended install disc, I then inserted the disc and rebooted the system. Normal boot procedures, Video cuts. It goes on to Windows Is Loading Files, complete then video cuts. Next is the Status bar with the bouncing green line (With Microsoft underneath) and then video cuts out. Blu Ray Drive Blinks a little, then stops. No video and system is still running, I left it like that for over 30 minutes and nothing.

I have no idea why this is not working, I would appreciate any help. It sucks when expensive software doesnt work.

Thank you in advance :)

Jacob

Solution
Hi Jacob,

I take it you are trying to install Windows 7 on a brand new system. The hard drive is brand new too, correct? I'm not sure what your various resources are but getting that hard drive checked out would be a good move. If you have another working station, which I assume you do, slave that hard drive and download and use SeaTools to see if the HD is bad. If it's bad, then there is your problem.

Another thing you can try is to completely "nuke" the drive...aka...going sector by sector and writing 0s to it. This process is extensive. You'll need to download Darik's Boot and Nuke and just let it sit. Keep in mind this is going to blow the everything on the drive away.

I don't know your level of tech so I'm not insulting...

Riku64

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Sorry for posting again but I wanted to update this thread.

I tried installing from a USB Stick but it kept giving me an error saying insert boot media and then press any key, Kept looping.

I tried the Windows 7 Installation Media in another computer (Acer Aspire 5515) and it went to installation screen, so the media is not defective.

Any insight on to if there is a problem with the Blu-Ray Drive or possibly the motherboard?

Thank you in advance for any help. :)

Jacob

You may have memory problems, download memtest86 make a bootable CD and boot memtest86. This will test the memory and also if you are able to boot from CD. It is normal for the Windows 7 installation disk to stall at first for a few minutes but you did say that you left it for half an hour.

Riku64

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
First, Thank you all for replying.

Jonmor68: I have looked at all USB settings possible to enable the usb drive, however I never found an exact Enable USB Boot option. I went back to frys and purchased a regular OEM dvd sata drive, still same results.

jsphdickens: I've tried all kinds of boot settings DVD Drive before hard disk, hard disk before DVD Drive. None of it seems to want to boot Windows 7 Install Disc.

pjmelect:Thanks for the suggestion I have not tried testing memory, I will give it a try as soon as possible.

Again, Thanks for your responses. I will try testing the memory, I would appreciate any other suggestions. I would love to get this system working. :D

Jacob

Riku64

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I burned a disk of memtest86, and ran it in my system, got a blue screen it ran for a few moments then video flipped off and the system restarted and same thing repeated.

I removed the 500w Power supply and bought a 1000w Antec Power Supply still no results with windows installing.

Could I have gotten a defective proccessor or memory stick?

Thanks for any help :)

Jacob

This could be a faulty motherboard, memtest86 should not blue screen due to faulty memory. I would suggest that you try to clear the CMOS memory. You clear the CMOS memory by temporarily moving the clear CMOS link one position with the POWER DISCONECTED. Removing the battery is not good enough.

Riku64

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I tried resetting the CMOS memory, nothing different.
When I said blue screen I meant it would run a few things then restart, not BSOD.

I tried a copy of windows XP 64 Bit and it installed perfectly, I then tried upgrading within XP, Files written to hard drive, but when it restarted it just would not show anything, restarted a few times and ran, but nothing.

I tried both windows 7 64 Bit and 32 Bit and nothing, the same windows 7 discs boot perfectly in my Acer Aspire 5515, I get to the install screen. But not on this newly built PC.

Any ideas? :??: :cry:

Thanks,
Jacob

schan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Hi Jacob,

I take it you are trying to install Windows 7 on a brand new system. The hard drive is brand new too, correct? I'm not sure what your various resources are but getting that hard drive checked out would be a good move. If you have another working station, which I assume you do, slave that hard drive and download and use SeaTools to see if the HD is bad. If it's bad, then there is your problem.

Another thing you can try is to completely "nuke" the drive...aka...going sector by sector and writing 0s to it. This process is extensive. You'll need to download Darik's Boot and Nuke and just let it sit. Keep in mind this is going to blow the everything on the drive away.

I don't know your level of tech so I'm not insulting your intelligence, but how were you trying to install from USB? Did you use "diskpart" to make it a bootable USB drive and then just copied all the files from your media to the flash drive?

And of course what I always recommend people, flash the BIOS. That usually fixes, if not, at least stabilizes a ton of weird, random issues!

If you need details/help with any of the things I mentioned above just let me know.

Good luck!

Solution

Riku64

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

Thanks for your reply :),
The whole system is brand new, no used items, all fresh.

The hard drive is good, when I installed Windows XP 64 Bit I installed the video driver and installed Quake 4 Demo, The game setup took one minute I kid you not. :D

I used diskpart to make the USB drive bootable with help from windows 7 install disc.

As for my tech level, I know a few things but im a novice if anything I can ALWAYS learn new things. :)

I'm open to flashing the BIOS, If you could point me in the right direction on how to flash the BIOS on an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, that would be sweet.

Thank you in advance,
Jacob

Riku64

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
UPDATE: I updated the BIOS to the latest version, the previous version was at least four months old.

Bad news: Same results with the Windows 7 Install, none. Tried every dvd that was customized of the original windows 7 disc and nothing, I can not get to the install menu.

I even went back to frys and got them to switch the dvds, still no difference.
No idea why anything other than windows 7 will boot, I checked all the components before I even purchased them, all support windows 7.

I just don't get it. :(
You try to do what's right and purchase the software and support the people who made it, and this is what happens.

Thanks for helping everyone.

Jacob

Riku64

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I figured out my problem,
I connected my monitor using HDMI, which was not good for windows 7 installation.
I went and bought a DVI to VGA adapter and cable and it installed fine.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS