alternate power connector

robocop

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
Hello.
I apologize in advance if the topic was covered previously. I looked in the site, in the forums and nothing was brought. When one gets the typical message that "Intel recommends a 12x2 power connector or an old 10x2 connector coupled with an alternate data connector" at boot time in a 915-based mobo, is that alternate connector the same as any ATA drive connector a 20-pin ATX mobo has? Can I really connect that 1x4 drive connector to the alternate power connector in the mobo? I only found this reference in the net: Molex #53109-0410.
Thanks.

robocop

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
Sorry but you are wrong. Since I can't send you the booklet that comes with my Intel MB, can you look here to convince yourself, please?
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/bl/C6859901.pdf
:)
Page 61 lists the connectors shown in diagram in the previous page:
O - Alternate power connector
P - +12V power connector (ATX12V)
T - Power connector
Page 63 says:
The board has three power supply connectors:
- Main power - a 2x12 connector. [snip]
- ATX12V power - a 2x2 connector. [snip] (All ATX power sources used for any P4 have this connector that's mandatory, so this is not the problem. Maybe you were thinking on it when you replied.)
- Alternate power – a 1 x 4 connector. This connector provides additional power when using high wattage PCI Express x16 graphics cards. (See, this is the connector I'm looking more information about.)

Later it says in the same page:
An alternate method of power delivery is to use a power supply with a 2 x 10 main power cable.
In this configuration, use three connectors to provide power to the board:
- The main power connector
- The ATX12V connector
- The alternate power connector
END QUOTE
Since the latter looks the same as any ATA disk drive power connector, I wanted to ask if someone has experience with it and if I really can use one of the available drive connectors from the power source. I don't want to burn anything.
:)

Why don't I change the power suply? Because it's a wonderful model from pcpowerandcooling.com and while it works and the 2x10 power connector is still supported by the newer MB designs, I will continue using it.

Thanks!

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
PSU's and their connectors are pretty much designed to be idiot proof. ie: if it doesn't fit then it's not meant to go there and if it does then it's not going to do any harm.

to answer the direct question, yes the standard 4x1 molex power conn is the right power source for the alternate power supply to the pci-e bus HOWEVER unless your power supply is v2.0 (and i strongly suspect your isn't) then it had better be pretty high spec'd to ensure stable operation if your using a high end GC.

on another note, i'd be careful of yelling "your wrong" at people on the forum. it's not likely to earn you any favor and will most likely lead to people just not answering your questions.

Why would he ask the question if he already knew the answer... :mad:

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
erm... sorry dude, not sure i follow?

He asked a question. When he received a response to HIS question, he blasted the response!

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
oh, sorry, i thought you were pissed with me. that's fair enough, and i agree.

endyen

Splendid
And how exactly am I wrong? Did you do as I suggested, and look on the mobo to see which connector is supported?
It is unusual for a mobo to require that much power, so that it needs bothe extra plugs though.

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
the asus k8n has the same molex connector just above the primary pci-e slot i don't think the 2x2 is routed to it at all, it's all the way up in the top left hand corner of the mobo.

maybe this board has a similar setup... i haven't looked at the link he posted as i can't ftp to easily from work so i can't be sure.

endyen

Splendid
His mobo uses a possible 3 connectors. If you use a 20 pin connector, you need the inline 4 molex, and the 2X2.
All he had to do was look at the board, and he would have seen the plugs.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can use any of the 12v connectors you want. They all come off of the same rail with that power supply. The 2X2 connector normally only powers the CPU, but in your case even an adapter would do. I have several.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

robocop

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
Thanks, Cybercraig.
Actually the mobo manual doesn't say anything if that connector was really all that proof idiot (it only says it's a 1x4 MOLEX, but apprently there are several MOLEX specifications) and I wanted to check if the solution was as easy as plugging a hard disk power connector. Just have to try under my own responsability.

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
the reason the manual doesn't say anything about it is that even the manufacturers assume that you would have the god given common sense to figure it out.

endyen is right, all you have to do is look at the board, the connectors are right there in front of you and the lines from the psu fit into them perfectly --> IDIOTPROOF!

dude, when people answer your questions, they're doing you a favour. the least you can do give them the benefit of the doubt and appreciate the fact that they know what they are talking about. and finally, as the great big f*ck off disclaimer on the site implies, *everything* you do to your machinery or anyone elses with your own hands is your responsibility, don't assume that by asking a question you shift the blame when you f*ck up.