MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Raid Problem

ricleo2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am having a frustrating experience trying to set up a raid array, bootable or non bootable. When I try to install WinXP home with my 2 raptors on SATA 3 & 4 the computer freezes at the same point during windows installation. The screen says "starting windows" when it just stalls. On SATA 1 & 2 windows installs more fully before I get a blue screen that says I have a hardware or software problem. Both these problems always happens at the same instance. The raid drivers seem to install just fine after "F6". To further enhance my frustration I try to set up the array in Windows, but the"initialize and convert disk wizard" does not open up in disk management like the manual says it should. I have the latest bios, drivers, and MSI utilities installed. Any suggestions is very appreciated.

MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM
AMD 64 3500
OCZ PC3200 PLATINUM EDITION 2-3-2-5
BFG 6800 ULTRA
1-IDE 40GIG WESTERN DIGITAL HD
2-SATA 37GIG WESTERN DIGITAL HD
VANTEC 520 WATT POWER SUPPLY

pat

Expert
Have you RAID enabled in BIOS for SATA 3-4? Is it the nforce3 controller or a third party as SIL or Promise? Do you have to press F10 at post time to define your array? Or CTRL-c if it is a Promise, or whatever else?

You say that the drivers seem to install just fine after F6, do you mean right after F6 or you insert the floppy disk sometime while installing?

My first suspicion is that RAID is not enabled in BIOS, so you havent defined your array.

Go to the HDD section and read the RAID FAQ.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

ricleo2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes. I have done all that you have suggested. I defined the array quite easily after F10 when booting up, the bios is all set, the controller is nforce, I have inserted the floppy with the latest Raid drivers during Windows installation, and I have read the manual carefully. I have done all this three times to no avail. Thanks for the response.

pat

Expert
Is the system overclocked? Have you been able to format the array while installing windows?

You cannot rebuilt a RAID0 array. I would try to copy the latest drivers from the nvidia web site and use them instead. Use the 5.10 version, it is for your board.

ricleo2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No I am not overclocking. I am able to format when I use SATA 1 & 2 but not 3 & 4 before my problems develop and I used the RAID drivers you have mentioned. I have deleted the array and defined it all over again in the nforce raid setup(F10) three times. I have also used Western Digital utilities to write zeros to both drives twice.

pat

Expert
Is there is another third party controller on that board? I think the the nforce3 doenst like when you set it as RAID and there is another controller, like a Promise, set as RAID too, even if there is no drive connected to it. If ist is the case, disable it in BIOS.

ricleo2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, I studied the manual and it mentions just the one nforce controller with four SATA ports which corresponds with the bios. I think I will try enabling all 4 SATA ports as RAID instead of just the two I have my HD's hooked up to. Thanks for trying to help. Please keep your suggestions coming.