garbage graphics

garett

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
I am not exactly sure where to post this because I have no idea what the problem is, but here goes.

I just recently bought the following:

AMD64 3000+(939)
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI
MSI NX6600GT-TDI128E (GeForce 6600 GT PCI Express)
1 stick of Crucial Technology 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Memory(CT6464Z40B Double Sided)
Antech 350 Watt SmartPower power supply

older components include:

PlexWriter 16/10/40A
Creative 52x CDROM
Maxtor 60GB ATA133 IDE HD

here is my problem:

I did a clean install of WinXP Pro last night, OS was fully installed just fine. I got my network and internet connections set up fine. Downloaded the latest graphics card drivers and installed them, and rebooted. Then I started the process downloading windows updates. During this process I was browsing the net looking for optimization settings for the BIOS of my newly built system, and all of a sudden a bunch of garbage graphics started popping up all over my screen and then the pc rebooted itself. Now the garbage pops up even during the BIOS post screen. I booted in to safemode and did a system restore, and now its worse. I can boot in to safe mode but I can't do anything because nothing actually comes up except the words savemode in the for corners of the screen some garbage graphics. I have also tried setting the BIOS to safe/default and claring the cmos. No luck.

I would also like the say that the system ran fine for a couple of hours at least during the install of WinXP and while I was trying to get my internet connection working(took me a while to figure out i needed to reset my cable modem). Any suggestions??

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Did you connect/attach the extra molex to the graphics card?
Is the fan on the graphics card spinning.
What r ur case temps?

Did you mess with the frequencies of PCI or AGP?

What did u tweak?

The loving are the daring!

garett

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
there is no spot to connect the graphics card to the power supply. the graphics card fan is spinning.

temperatures according to the bios:

system 35C/95F
cpu 37C/98F

these temps are taken after letting the pc run for about 10min. i am using the heatsink included with the processor.

only changes i made in the bios were the typematic rate and the booting order of the drives. everything else was left at default.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I don't think the 6600GT's PCI express versions have a power connector. The card gets enough power from the slot. If the lettering is screwed up on the BIOS screen, that means its not a driver related problem within Windows. I would try to re-flash the BIOS.

My Rig and Website:
<A HREF="http://www26.brinkster.com/amdgamer1/main.html" target="_new">http://www26.brinkster.com/amdgamer1/main.html</A>

Using this <A HREF="http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/" target="_new">Wattage Calculator</A> it looks like your rigs continuous wattage draw is around 289W. Optimally, your PSUs continuous wattage draw should be less than 60% of your PSUs rated wattage (350W). Drawing 289W you are around 82% of rated wattage. Antec makes really good PSUs, so this may not be the issue. On the other hand you could be putting a bad strain on it with your rig...

Another possibility - have you disabled SLI in the BIOS? Read the manual for running this rig with only one vid card. I think there are couple of jumpers/cards you need to ensure are setup correctly on the board itself.

What order did you install the drivers?

garett

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
just an update. i grabbed that other power supply and installed it. it is a 433 watt enermax. it did not fix the problem. so then i flashed the bios, but that did not help either.

now i cant help but wonder if the graphics card was damaged from having that 350 watt power supply in there :(