Show CPU temperature in OSD - Tutorial

proton_chain

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hello there,

I was wondering if there was any utility to monitor CPU usage and/or CPU temperature while in game. I know that you can easily view GPU temperature using rivaturner OSD (or EVGA Precision and MSI afterburner which uses technically the same thing) while you are playing. So, you can always monitor the temperature level. But what about CPU? You can find lots of utilities like realtemp, coretemp, Everest . . . (the list goes on). But they monitor the temperature outside the game, and even if you Alt+Tab out, you can't get the perfect temperature as the CPU gets hotter and cooler depending on load very quickly, so you lose a few degrees in between switching applications. Then comes logging to graph. That gives you an overall idea, not instant results. It would be best to have that in game. . .

So, I discovered a way to have On Screen Display (=OSD) show CPU usage and core temperatures. First of all you need ATI Tray Tools. Grab the link here => http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

Nvidia users, don't worry. Technically, it is supposed to work on your hardware as well. After installing, run it and right click the ATI Tray tools icon => Tools & Options => On Screen Display...

dwm2010081909142623.jpg

Then under OSD tab, check Show on screen display. Other settings are up to you.

dwm2010081909142886.jpg

After that, click on Flash OSD tab and set it to Show All Time. Then in Select Active Fields Section, check what you want. I checked CPU usage and GPU temp. Then go down and check Use Flash OSD plugin. Click Configure and Choose Intel Coretemp if you have Intel CPU or AMD Coretemp if you have AMD CPU. You might have to set the TJmax value if it is incorrect. Then click OK and its done!

dwm2010081909005633.jpg

Here is how it looks like inside a game.

crysis20100819065858941.jpg

Please not that it might also work with EVGA precision, MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner itself. But I have some compatibility issues with them (like the OSD not being showed in some games even after turning up the application detection level). ATI Tray Tools worked with every game I own, excluding the 64-bit executables only. Thats why I shared only the method of doing it using ATT, not others. You might feel otherwise, its a matter of personal flavor and experience.

Let me know your thoughts on this subject.

M. A. Akif Mustofa Khan Shuvo.

proton_chain

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

I said that they all basically use the same thing (I mean rivatuner OSD). So, I included only one. Others are similar to configure (including rivatuner). The reason rivatuner itself couldn't be configured is because I'm on a 64-bit system, and rivatuner has some unsigned components (which comes as a warning massage). And ATT looks and performs better to me.

Well I'm on a 64bit system and I've got Rivatuner configured to show CPU temps and usage in the OSD and it works just fine and dandy.

proton_chain

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

Of course it works, but windows gives a warning that "unsigned drivers or something similar (forgot the exact error message) was installed" the last time I tried 2.24. I have not checked for a newer version afterwards. I got similar OSD in EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner. In ATT, I also get the same overclocker, so I really did not feel the need for rivatuner as I got what I needed.

Edited the first post to remove the misunderstanding that might arise. This guide is not for expert users like you, LOL :non: Its for beginners, don't you understand that from the screenshots? :D

The "unsigned driver" does not mean that that the driver won't work just that it is not a WHQL driver and Rivatuner has not been updated since version 2.24c possibly because the guy responsible for it now gets paid by MSI to write Afterburner.

icegood

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
ATI Tray Tools really cool. Because i also interest in temperature of videocard, memory usage and so on. But has significant drawback... It doesn't support modern videocards. In particular HD 5470

stevv

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

HI, I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you could point me to the direction of how you have your CPU temp shown through the MSI afterburner OSD.

I've found some methods, but they require extra software (such has hwinfo), but not native. There's even a request for that feature (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=345528) so I'm wondering if using another software is the only option now.

Thanks

My proc. and video.
Intel i7 2600K @4.4Ghz
XFX HD 6870 Black Edition

I can only get the CPU temp to show in Rivatuner, never had any luck with Afterburner.

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
On MSI afterburner all you have to do is click on the settings button on the bottom right, and click On screen display. I us eit and it shows all the stats i want in game, never had an issue with it. Simple as that