Sign in with
Your question

Asus? Gigabite? Biostar?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 15, 2005 12:02:35 AM

I just thought I'd take a stab here after lurking for awhile. I'm currently into desktop video - converting dozens of home videos, current videos etc. I've found out that my Athlon XP1900 isn't a bad cpu, but when it comes to encoding it isn't a speed demon either. I believe it has a 133mhz fsb, and I have 512mb 2700 DDR. I'm ready to upgrade, and would like opinions on cost effective board/chip combos. As I understand it, Intel chipsets 875 and E7505 tend to work well with video - any suggestions for boards/cpus? I want a decent system that offers real advantage over my ancient K7AMA board and AMD - thanks for any suggestions! I'll be running three drives currently and a Plextor dvd burner. I'm not a gamer either.

More about : asus gigabite biostar

March 15, 2005 12:09:35 AM

If it is for editing, then either AMD or Intel will do good. Choose a mobo with RAID support and get at least 1 gigs of RAM.. That will matter more than a CPU

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
March 15, 2005 12:21:47 AM

I would select the Gigabyte board... Solid, stable, fast and feature rich...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 4:52:34 AM

If you want to go P4, I suggest a 3.2C (Northwood, 512k cache) and an Abit IS7. If you're considering RAID, a couple Seagate SATA drives would do. Also, you'll want some name-brand PC3200 with decent latencies, CAS 2.5 is good, CAS 2 is better.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 15, 2005 10:05:34 PM

Unless I misunderstand RAID, I'm not going to need that. I'm running three separate drives - one for system, one for data and a third dedicated to video.
March 15, 2005 10:18:18 PM

RAID will help while editing your video file as the data will be send faster to the editor, as when you edit your clip and want to move fast to a certain location. More RAM will help by having the computer to avoid using a swap file too often.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
!