Asus? Gigabite? Biostar?

I just thought I'd take a stab here after lurking for awhile. I'm currently into desktop video - converting dozens of home videos, current videos etc. I've found out that my Athlon XP1900 isn't a bad cpu, but when it comes to encoding it isn't a speed demon either. I believe it has a 133mhz fsb, and I have 512mb 2700 DDR. I'm ready to upgrade, and would like opinions on cost effective board/chip combos. As I understand it, Intel chipsets 875 and E7505 tend to work well with video - any suggestions for boards/cpus? I want a decent system that offers real advantage over my ancient K7AMA board and AMD - thanks for any suggestions! I'll be running three drives currently and a Plextor dvd burner. I'm not a gamer either.
5 answers Last reply
More about asus gigabite biostar
  1. If it is for editing, then either AMD or Intel will do good. Choose a mobo with RAID support and get at least 1 gigs of RAM.. That will matter more than a CPU

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
  2. I would select the Gigabyte board... Solid, stable, fast and feature rich...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
    And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
    So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
  3. If you want to go P4, I suggest a 3.2C (Northwood, 512k cache) and an Abit IS7. If you're considering RAID, a couple Seagate SATA drives would do. Also, you'll want some name-brand PC3200 with decent latencies, CAS 2.5 is good, CAS 2 is better.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  4. Unless I misunderstand RAID, I'm not going to need that. I'm running three separate drives - one for system, one for data and a third dedicated to video.
  5. RAID will help while editing your video file as the data will be send faster to the editor, as when you edit your clip and want to move fast to a certain location. More RAM will help by having the computer to avoid using a swap file too often.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Video Biostar