Sign in with
Your question

Real-time strategy pc help requested

Last response: in Video Games
August 19, 2010 4:09:14 PM

I am looking for some help with choosing a pc from Dell. I'm looking to use it for real-time strategy gaming and photo editing. I think real-time strategy games like C&C 3/4 and the Total War games aren't high end graphic intense. I'm debating between a refurbished model with faster processor/graphics card vs new with a slower processor but less expensive.

The refurbished models have the following choices:
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor (3.0GHz, 8MB) or
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1035T (2.6GHz)
both with 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450

New model would have either
AMD Athlon™ II X4 630 + ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB or
AMD Athlon™ II X4 630 + ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB

Also does memory make much difference, going from 4gb to 8gb? I've heard that after 4gb there isn't much difference in speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
August 19, 2010 8:48:09 PM

The second refurbished PC has teh X6, but both have low-tier GPU's. The 5670 is probably the bare minimum DX11 GPU out there (just like the 4670 was the low-tier DX10 GPU for so long...), and should prove more capable. So I'd go with the new model with the 5670, unless you plan to buy a stronger GPU yourself after the fact.

As for memory, beyond about 3GB or so, the only time the extra RAM really helps is when you are doing a lot of memory intensive tasks, considering how no Win32 application (even in Windows X64) can actually use more then 2GB of data at any one time...(why devs don't make more X64 binaries is beyond me...)
August 19, 2010 8:54:47 PM

What are the prices on these systems?
!