Asus A7V880

sherkhan

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
Hello! I want to buy this motherboard, ASUS A7V880, but I read on some forums that there are some problems with it. I would like that someone from Tomshardware tell me if there really are problems with this mobo or those who had problems with it didn’t made the right configuration of the BIOS or did’t know how to install a SATA drive.

The most common problems I’ve found on forums are:
-the battery on the mobo must be replaced;
-there are problems when installing SATA hard drives;
-when shuting down the system(win xp), it hangs and it must be shut down from the main power button or restarted
-problems with the bios settings and versions.
I like this mobo, a trust ASUS, I have built computers based on ASUS mobo’s for friends and I had no problems. I would like to know if this problems are real and if they are not, please tell me what are the settings for the BIOS with this configuration:

AMD Sempron 2600+ PIB
ASUS A7V880
Twinmos Kit Dual channel 256 x 2 DDR400 CL 2,5
Leadtek Winfast A360TDH GeForce FX5700
HDD SATA Seagate 7200.8 200GB
DVDRW Asus 1604P
Case 350W

I have the components but I don’t know yet what mobo to buy.I’d like it to be a Via kt880. If the Asus mobo has problems, what other kt880 mobo should I buy? Thank you.

You can reply at one of this adresses: bogdan_fs@yahoo.com
bogdan_03@hotmail.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd rather have a 5 year old BX board than the latest VIA chipset. I'd suffer the loss in performance being stuck with the older range of CPU's rather than use VIA.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I read on some forums that there are some problems with it
I think it's somewhat about luck? I mean..if you try to do research for any motherboards on the market, all of them should have problems, well, more or less..
why it has to be VIA KT880?
The fastest socket A chipset is nForce2..if you want an Asus board, why not consider Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe?

endyen

Splendid
That's a lot of bad choices.
That Geforce card is overpriced garbage. The DVD drive is rebadged, with Asus profit added, the sempron is weak, twinmos is generally overpriced, via chipsets are less than terrific. An A64 sempron system would only be a few dollars more. ( Might even be cheaper with an asrock sis chipset mobo.)
BTW, nice hdd.

sherkhan

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
I’ve changed my mind. I arranged with my friend to take back the CPU, memory and video card and instead, he will bring me a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9, an Athlon 64 3000+, Corsair memory 2x256 CL 2,5 , and a Gigabyte NX66128DP FX6600 card. I realised that Socket A is kind of old and this was the cheapest combination to switch to Socket 939.I’m on a tight budget and I’m not looking for extreme performance.

P.S. The Asus DVDRW works very fine on my actual system and it was cheaper than Samsung or Teac. At least at the stores in my city.

pat

Expert
I have the GA-K8NF-9 and it is a solid board so far.It does not get my approval sign yet, but I vive it 1 more month and if it is still running good, it will earn it.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!