Sign in with
Your question

SOS^Extreme

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Computer
Last response: in Motherboards
March 17, 2005 6:49:19 PM

So I've been having some serious trouble with my motherboard (an ASUS A7V8X); my computer hardcrashes into random restarts, the USB ports don't respond, plugging my keyboard into the PS/2 port causes system lock ups, my CD drive fails to properly read software - mainly during installation with numerous and repeated CRC Errors - and, here's the kicker, everytiem I boot-up, I need to repeatedly hit the restart button until the computer beeps.

I called up ASUS, and the tech guy told me that it was a "grounding problem." Apparently, I need to take out my motherboard, put it on a piece of cardboard or something, and see if it starts to work. Then, if it does, I need to check the case for any metal that might be interfering with it.

So a few questions:

1) Can this be a so-called "grounding problem?"
2) Is this the best method to find out?
3) What should I be looking for that might be interfering with the computer's operation?

Thanks in advance for the help.

More about : sos extreme

March 17, 2005 9:09:17 PM

So a few questions:

1) Can this be a so-called "grounding problem?"
2) Is this the best method to find out?
3) What should I be looking for that might be interfering with the computer's operation?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I called up ASUS, and the tech guy told me that it was a "grounding problem." Apparently, I need to take out my motherboard, put it on a piece of cardboard or something, and see if it starts to work. Then, if it does, I need to check the case for any metal that might be interfering with it.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
March 17, 2005 10:06:07 PM

Have you done what the tech support guy recommended, yet?

March 17, 2005 10:51:51 PM

I'm sure you can read my mind on that one ... you know me enough for that...

March 17, 2005 11:00:38 PM

:lol:  I read it and was acting as interpreter for our guest!

March 19, 2005 6:40:47 AM

A grounding problem is normally caused by a misplaced standoff. This normally results in a PC that won't boot at all!

The standoffs are those mounting studs you attach the board to. You should only have standoffs where the board has screw holes.

I doubt it's a ground, but it's worth checking. Otherwise my first suspect would be RAM, followed by power.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 19, 2005 8:26:59 AM

Wow...Even the great Crasher gets double/triple posts at times!

March 19, 2005 1:07:59 PM

he did that by purpose to make his point clear...

!