Still can't connect

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 27, 2004 2:42:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

Thanks to everyone who suggested things I should try to get my daughter's PC
to connect to my home wireless network. But no success. :-(

I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, serving three PCs - two desktops and
a laptop. They're all running Windows XP (one vanilla, one SP1 and one SP2).
Everything was fine until I had to re-install my daughter's desktop PC.

Ever since I have been unable to connect to the home network. I primarily
want to connect to the Internet - not share resources.

I know that it's not a hardware problem since (a) I've tried two desktop
wireless network cards (both Belkin) and (b) Control Panel reports that the
cards are working OK.

I installed and re-installed the Belkin software several times. I always
remove the card (as recommended) before re-installing the software. It makes
no difference.

I can see the home network on my daughter's PC. When I double-click the
Belkin icon in the system tray (which is always red when it should be
green), I can see the home network in the list of "Available networks" and
"Preferred networks". I just can't connect.

I've disabled all security (it was never enabled) on the router and all of
the cards (in each of the PCs).

I've tried using Windows to manage the cards and also the Belkin software.
It makes no difference.

One odd thing. When I select the "Link status" tab, I get nothing - no
network, no packets, no signal, no noise - nothing. But when I select "Site
monitor" I see a good (green) signal and a good signal/noise ratio. Weird.
More confirmation that the card is transmitting and receiving OK.

I'm really puzzled by this and about to reformat her machine in desperation.

Bobby

More about : connect

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:11:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

In message <2u7um4F24t473U1@uni-berlin.de>, Bobby <bobby@europe.com>
writes
>Thanks to everyone who suggested things I should try to get my daughter's PC
>to connect to my home wireless network. But no success. :-(
>
>I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, serving three PCs - two desktops and
>a laptop. They're all running Windows XP (one vanilla, one SP1 and one SP2).
>Everything was fine until I had to re-install my daughter's desktop PC.
>
>Ever since I have been unable to connect to the home network. I primarily
>want to connect to the Internet - not share resources.
>
>I know that it's not a hardware problem since (a) I've tried two desktop
>wireless network cards (both Belkin) and (b) Control Panel reports that the
>cards are working OK.
>
>I installed and re-installed the Belkin software several times. I always
>remove the card (as recommended) before re-installing the software. It makes
>no difference.
>
>I can see the home network on my daughter's PC. When I double-click the
>Belkin icon in the system tray (which is always red when it should be
>green), I can see the home network in the list of "Available networks" and
>"Preferred networks". I just can't connect.
>
>I've disabled all security (it was never enabled) on the router and all of
>the cards (in each of the PCs).
>
>I've tried using Windows to manage the cards and also the Belkin software.
>It makes no difference.
>
>One odd thing. When I select the "Link status" tab, I get nothing - no
>network, no packets, no signal, no noise - nothing. But when I select "Site
>monitor" I see a good (green) signal and a good signal/noise ratio. Weird.
>More confirmation that the card is transmitting and receiving OK.
>
>I'm really puzzled by this and about to reformat her machine in desperation.
>
>Bobby

Have you configured the Wireless Card including WEP?

--
Richard Anderton
October 27, 2004 3:14:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

> I've disabled all security (it was never enabled) on the router and all of
> the cards (in each of the PCs).
>
> I've tried using Windows to manage the cards and also the Belkin software.
> It makes no difference.

When you use the Belkin software have you stopped and disabled the
Wireless Zero Configuration in COntrol Panel/AdminTools/Services

JP
October 27, 2004 3:18:07 AM

Bobby <bobby@europe.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who suggested things I should try to get my
> daughter's PC to connect to my home wireless network. But no success.
> :-(
>
> I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, serving three PCs - two
> desktops and a laptop. They're all running Windows XP (one vanilla,
> one SP1 and one SP2). Everything was fine until I had to re-install
> my daughter's desktop PC.
>
> Ever since I have been unable to connect to the home network. I
> primarily want to connect to the Internet - not share resources.
>
> I know that it's not a hardware problem since (a) I've tried two
> desktop wireless network cards (both Belkin) and (b) Control Panel
> reports that the cards are working OK.
>
> I installed and re-installed the Belkin software several times. I
> always remove the card (as recommended) before re-installing the
> software. It makes no difference.
>
> I can see the home network on my daughter's PC. When I double-click
> the Belkin icon in the system tray (which is always red when it
> should be green), I can see the home network in the list of
> "Available networks" and "Preferred networks". I just can't connect.
>
> I've disabled all security (it was never enabled) on the router and
> all of the cards (in each of the PCs).
>
> I've tried using Windows to manage the cards and also the Belkin
> software. It makes no difference.
>
> One odd thing. When I select the "Link status" tab, I get nothing - no
> network, no packets, no signal, no noise - nothing. But when I select
> "Site monitor" I see a good (green) signal and a good signal/noise
> ratio. Weird. More confirmation that the card is transmitting and
> receiving OK.
>
> I'm really puzzled by this and about to reformat her machine in
> desperation.
>
> Bobby

Have a look at Start/Settings/Network Connections

Does it show an active Wireless connection?

Does it show an *inactive* (with a red cross) Local Area Connection (if the
PC also has an ethernet card)?

Under Wireless Connection/Properties/TCP-IP/Properties, what does it say for
the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers?

Compare this with the wireless PC which is working ok. [The IP address
should, of course, be different by 1 or 2 in the last digit, but everything
else should be the same].

Is the router running 11b or 11g protocol (or mixed mode)? Is the PC set up
to do the same - so that it can run in 11b mode if the signal's not good
enough for 11g?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

I've disabled all security - on everything (router, cards).

"Richard Anderton" <richard@bonshaw.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <2u7um4F24t473U1@uni-berlin.de>, Bobby <bobby@europe.com>
> writes
>>Thanks to everyone who suggested things I should try to get my daughter's
>>PC
>>to connect to my home wireless network. But no success. :-(
>>
>>I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, serving three PCs - two desktops
>>and
>>a laptop. They're all running Windows XP (one vanilla, one SP1 and one
>>SP2).
>>Everything was fine until I had to re-install my daughter's desktop PC.
>>
>>Ever since I have been unable to connect to the home network. I primarily
>>want to connect to the Internet - not share resources.
>>
>>I know that it's not a hardware problem since (a) I've tried two desktop
>>wireless network cards (both Belkin) and (b) Control Panel reports that
>>the
>>cards are working OK.
>>
>>I installed and re-installed the Belkin software several times. I always
>>remove the card (as recommended) before re-installing the software. It
>>makes
>>no difference.
>>
>>I can see the home network on my daughter's PC. When I double-click the
>>Belkin icon in the system tray (which is always red when it should be
>>green), I can see the home network in the list of "Available networks" and
>>"Preferred networks". I just can't connect.
>>
>>I've disabled all security (it was never enabled) on the router and all of
>>the cards (in each of the PCs).
>>
>>I've tried using Windows to manage the cards and also the Belkin software.
>>It makes no difference.
>>
>>One odd thing. When I select the "Link status" tab, I get nothing - no
>>network, no packets, no signal, no noise - nothing. But when I select
>>"Site
>>monitor" I see a good (green) signal and a good signal/noise ratio. Weird.
>>More confirmation that the card is transmitting and receiving OK.
>>
>>I'm really puzzled by this and about to reformat her machine in
>>desperation.
>>
>>Bobby
>>

> Have you configured the Wireless Card including WEP?
>
> --
> Richard Anderton
October 27, 2004 1:06:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

I've tried both Windows and Belkin software to manage the connection. It
makes no difference.

"John" <john@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> I've disabled all security (it was never enabled) on the router and all
>> of the cards (in each of the PCs).
>>
>> I've tried using Windows to manage the cards and also the Belkin
>> software. It makes no difference.
>
> When you use the Belkin software have you stopped and disabled the
> Wireless Zero Configuration in COntrol Panel/AdminTools/Services
>
> JP
October 27, 2004 1:07:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

Lots to try Tim. I'll get back when I can answer your questions. Cheers.

"Tiscali Tim" <tele@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Bobby <bobby@europe.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to everyone who suggested things I should try to get my
>> daughter's PC to connect to my home wireless network. But no success.
>> :-(
>>
>> I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, serving three PCs - two
>> desktops and a laptop. They're all running Windows XP (one vanilla,
>> one SP1 and one SP2). Everything was fine until I had to re-install
>> my daughter's desktop PC.
>>
>> Ever since I have been unable to connect to the home network. I
>> primarily want to connect to the Internet - not share resources.
>>
>> I know that it's not a hardware problem since (a) I've tried two
>> desktop wireless network cards (both Belkin) and (b) Control Panel
>> reports that the cards are working OK.
>>
>> I installed and re-installed the Belkin software several times. I
>> always remove the card (as recommended) before re-installing the
>> software. It makes no difference.
>>
>> I can see the home network on my daughter's PC. When I double-click
>> the Belkin icon in the system tray (which is always red when it
>> should be green), I can see the home network in the list of
>> "Available networks" and "Preferred networks". I just can't connect.
>>
>> I've disabled all security (it was never enabled) on the router and
>> all of the cards (in each of the PCs).
>>
>> I've tried using Windows to manage the cards and also the Belkin
>> software. It makes no difference.
>>
>> One odd thing. When I select the "Link status" tab, I get nothing - no
>> network, no packets, no signal, no noise - nothing. But when I select
>> "Site monitor" I see a good (green) signal and a good signal/noise
>> ratio. Weird. More confirmation that the card is transmitting and
>> receiving OK.
>>
>> I'm really puzzled by this and about to reformat her machine in
>> desperation.
>>
>> Bobby
>
> Have a look at Start/Settings/Network Connections
>
> Does it show an active Wireless connection?
>
> Does it show an *inactive* (with a red cross) Local Area Connection (if
> the
> PC also has an ethernet card)?
>
> Under Wireless Connection/Properties/TCP-IP/Properties, what does it say
> for
> the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers?
>
> Compare this with the wireless PC which is working ok. [The IP address
> should, of course, be different by 1 or 2 in the last digit, but
> everything
> else should be the same].
>
> Is the router running 11b or 11g protocol (or mixed mode)? Is the PC set
> up
> to do the same - so that it can run in 11b mode if the signal's not good
> enough for 11g?
> --
> Cheers,
> Tim
> ______
> Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 8:08:56 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:42:27 +0100, "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote:

>I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, serving three PCs - two desktops and
>a laptop. They're all running Windows XP (one vanilla, one SP1 and one SP2).

Which one is the offending machine?
October 28, 2004 3:12:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

Sorry, I should have made that clear.

It's my daughter's PC, running Windows XP SR1.

Bobby

"Simon Pleasants" <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:42:27 +0100, "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, serving three PCs - two desktops
>>and
>>a laptop. They're all running Windows XP (one vanilla, one SP1 and one
>>SP2).
>
> Which one is the offending machine?
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 3:45:31 AM

Bobby wrote:
> Sorry, I should have made that clear.
>
> It's my daughter's PC, running Windows XP SR1.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Simon Pleasants" <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:42:27 +0100, "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, serving three PCs - two desktops
>>>and
>>>a laptop. They're all running Windows XP (one vanilla, one SP1 and one
>>>SP2).
>>
>>Which one is the offending machine?

Make sure Qos Packet scheduler is NOT installed for the wireless
connection in its network settings.

There was also a problem with one of the WPA updates ISTR.

HTH

L3K
!