GA 7N400 Ultra on-board IDE RAID slow

clarkenfields1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2005
I purchased a Gigabyte GA7N400Pro2Rev2 board for media storage. CPU is AthalonXP 3200+, dual-channel DDR RAM @ 512/side, new install Windows XP Pro, no anti-virus installed yet. It has (2) 250GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA HDDs in RAID 0 for media storage and (2) 40GB Samsung 7200rpm IDE HDDs in RAID 0 for OS and programs. The IDE on-board RAID uses an ITE 8212 chip.
Everything seems to be set up correctly- latest drivers, everything recognized by OS, etc. IDE RAID setup page says the I/O is UDMA5.
I installed Nvidia's N-tune for benchmark & tuning, When I ran the benchmark, it said that read perfomance is only 140% over a single drive and write performance is 32% to 42% under a single drive. Re-tuning the system has not significantly improved the performance.
Anybody else run into same poor performance? Fixes?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read performance 140% over a single drive is just about typical for a 2-drive RAID 0. Write performance is probably being handicapped by a software RAID controller that's using the CPU to calculate file division.

Most of the people I've spoken to about RAID 0 have given up on the idea after doing a little testing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>