external antenna and VX4400

Last response: in Network Providers
August 26, 2004 1:57:31 AM

Anyone ever used an external antenna with the 4400? I get such as weak
signal inside my house, I'm looking for a solution...

THX
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 8:04:24 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:57:31 -0500, Gunther Larssen
<larssengun@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone ever used an external antenna with the 4400? I get such as weak
>signal inside my house, I'm looking for a solution...
>
>THX

Yes, I use an external antenna with my VX4400 and it makes a big
difference. It's a bit of a pain because you can't walk around with
the phone but that's just a tradeoff that has to be considered.
I use a Wilson Trucker antenna. It is a 5DBi gain, dual band,
omnidirectional antenna that is about 30 inches high. I selected this
model based on the fact that it came highly recomended by our
customers and because it doesn't require a ground plane. I got mine at
AlternativeWireless.com but they're available all over the net.
Regardless of what antenna you select you'll need to buy an adapter to
marry it up to the antenna port on your phone.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 12:01:11 AM

Gunther Larssen <larssengun@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<250820042157316708%larssengun@hotmail.com>...
> Anyone ever used an external antenna with the 4400? I get such as weak
> signal inside my house, I'm looking for a solution...
>
> THX

There's also a Yagi antenna design. A Yagi is like a small tv type
antenna. It's aimed at just one cell tower. This may be an advantage
and will get a better signal boosting effect.

I bought a Antennex 9db/6 element Yagi and it works very well at
boosting a boderline signal to a solid one. It's about 29" long. Both
longer/higher boost and shorter versions 6db/3 element) are availabe.
29" was a workable length to still carry in my car and set up on a
pole.
It's important to use a good quality/low loss cable with any antenna.
Using a poor quality cable over long length can result in a large
signal loss.

Yagi and cable are available many places at various prices. I got mine
at www.criterionwireless.com/. They have some good pictures of the
various parts used to hook up a cellular phone. They were also helpful
in getting the correct adapters. They also make up whatever length and
termination end required.

Here's a basic list of parts and approximate prices.

Antenna adapter cable $10-25. Getting one that incorperates a
cigarette (CLA) adapter allows the phone to charge while talking. It
alos cuts of the phones built in antenna when hooked up

20 feet of low loss LMR-195 cable. $29. N male/TNCmale terminations.
This appears to be a high grade versus thin design, with quad
shielding. For very long cable runs there's even lower loss, but that
cable gets thicker and more expensive.

A small barrel adapter from the LMR-195 cable to the external antenna
adapter. $10. Requested a universal TNC end on the long cabling, so I
could hook up different phones/external antenna adapters in the
future, by changing a $10 barrel connector.

9db Antennex Yagi YGANT8066 (pro design). $120, all welded and gold
anodized. Heavy duty/mount with stainless parts. A little overkill,
but I wanted it to hold up when packed into a car trunk. The antenna
is also designed to work down to the Nextel range as well, (806mhz) so
signal boost may be a bit less than the stated 9db.

I'm not sure getting any less than a 6db antenna is worth it.
There's some loss in the cable and connectors and some margin of error
for less than perfect aim at the tower. My phone indicated there's
about a 7 or 8db improvement. A noticable difference while making
calls. Turns borderline areas with frequent dropped calls into a solid
calling area, with no calls dropping.

You need some kind of mast. Usually the cellular signal gets better up
higher, but then more cable length and potentially more loss occurs.
There's pipe or pre-made antenna mast sections. I use a collapsible
aluminum swimming pool handle, for portability, while carrying in a
small car.
*Don't forget to follow proper grounding guidlines. You don't want to
hold the end of a lightening rod to your head.*

From what I understand, one of the problems with regular dipole
design/magmount design, is the higher the signal boost, the more the
antenna pickup is flattened towards the horizon. So, with a high db
(over 6db?) rating the antenna may not "see" a tower up on a hill. The
ordinarily used mag-mount/dipole will see multiple towers and does not
need to be aimed like a Yagi, so is well suited to car or boat use.

-
David
August 29, 2004 9:38:03 AM

davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0408271901.54a440d9@posting.google.com>...
> [...]
>
> You need some kind of mast. Usually the cellular signal gets better up
> higher, but then more cable length and potentially more loss occurs.
> There's pipe or pre-made antenna mast sections. I use a collapsible
> aluminum swimming pool handle, for portability, while carrying in a
> small car.
> *Don't forget to follow proper grounding guidlines. You don't want to
> hold the end of a lightening rod to your head.*
>
> From what I understand, one of the problems with regular dipole
> design/magmount design, is the higher the signal boost, the more the
> antenna pickup is flattened towards the horizon. So, with a high db
> (over 6db?) rating the antenna may not "see" a tower up on a hill. The
> ordinarily used mag-mount/dipole will see multiple towers and does not
> need to be aimed like a Yagi, so is well suited to car or boat use.

Oops here's the correct addy and another useful antenna forum from
another company.
Criterion uses mostly US made antenna and cable. Quality stuff. The
Antennex Yagi supposedly fine tuned on test equipment did have one of
the elements welded slightly off. Antennex replaced it no problem/no
charge, but I expected more from an Pro grade. Works fine though.

The widely marketed Wilson mag mount antenna I bought ($39) was of
poor quality. Vinyl Tape on the base and the magnet, which easily
scrapped off. The end ball on the antenna tip fell off. Worked well,
but the quality of overseas manufacturing is very poor compared to the
American made antennas.

Index - How to Improve Cellular, Nextel and PCS GSM Reception

http://www.criterioncellular.com/tutorials/index.html

Cell Antenna Corporation Q&A Forum

http://www.cellantenna.com/.cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

-
David
October 25, 2011 11:20:46 PM

http://praktik1.ru/ Анальный секс может стать освежающим фактором эротического наслаждения для пар, которые ищут новых ощущений. А может наоборот оттолкнуть людей. Так сколько же это? проститутки украина
October 26, 2011 11:58:33 AM

http://shutterbudd.net/ На этой неделе в отеле Korston, прошла традиционная вечеринка MyWed Party в почтение дня рождения сайта MyWed. На вечере подводились итоги конкурсов, проводимых сайтом, и награждались их победители. Бесчисленный радостью чтобы меня стало вручение диплома Финалиста конкурса на лучшую свадебную фотографию в жанре репортаж. Как вы, наверно, уже догадались, именно эта черно-белая фотография была выбрана и оценена жюри. Должен вам говорить честно, сей изображение не простой дорогой, с ним связано масса всего интересного, и думаю, он не неумышленно размещен для главной странице блога. Во-первых, это снимок сделан дома у моих дяди и тети для свадьбе их дочери, и моей двоюродной сестры. Самое интересное заключается в книга, сколько свадьба самих дяди и тети проходила в той же самой комнате. Во-вторых, благодаря этому снимку в прошлом году я попал в финал конкурса свадебной фотографии, в котором и занял первое место. Вот такой вот интересный снимок.
Фото
!