SiS 756/965

SiS hits the streets with their PCIe chipset<A HREF="http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050321/index.html" target="_new">756/965</A>. They're in the game late again, but they look to have a good price/performance. I still like the nF4, but this could lead to some great budget boards - fast, feature-rich and inexpensive.

HAHA

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2004
The review of the reference board did not comment on the cooling of the chipset. This is a major problem with all nForce4 and VIA 890 motherboards. They all come with very noisy chipset fans and little chance of replacing them because of interference with the graphics card slot.

On the pictures it looks like the chipset may be passively cooled and put in a position where there is plenty of space. This would of course be a major selling point over the competitors. If commercial motherboards based on this chipset, would indeed be passively cooled, they have got a winner.

It would be interesting to have the comments on this from the author of the review. THG normally seems to care a lot about noise. Why not now ?

The reference board was apparently a large board and will more than likely be downsized by board mfrs. The ref board did have passive cooling, but the mfrs will again make final implementation of cooling solution and placement on board. I didn't like the proximity of some of the caps to the CPU socket - may limit some of the larger HSF solutions.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember that the 755 had fewer problems with RAM than what was available from VIA or nVidia at the time (nVidia was still on the 150 series). It's a fact of life that SiS will continue to provide better stuff than VIA in one way or another, and continue to be ignored by performance board makers, even for midpriced performance boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Kinda sad that a good company with good products gets ignored. Good for the end user that wants mid range performance at the budget price! As far as SiS - sounds like they need better marketing and sales people!