starcraft

rollercoster tycoon
Related resources
September 9, 2010 11:56:19 PM

Doom

Warcraft

Age of Empires
September 23, 2010 12:14:44 AM

Hmm... it depends on when I classify myself as a "kid". When I was really young it was Mario, Doom and Wolfenstine. A little older would be Golden Eye, Red Alert:CC and Warcraft 2 (never liked 1).

I would say the games I played most when I actually considered myself a "gamer" would be

Legends of Might and Magic (knock off of CS by 3DO, medieval setting)
Warcraft 3
Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 (Turn Based Strategy)

September 23, 2010 12:34:48 AM

Mid 80's- Elite, a seminal space trading game.. Awe-inspiring. Also, Karateka- by the same guys who made Prince of Persia

Late 80's- Prince of Persia, Bitmap brothers games like Xenon and Xenon II

Then the early 90's- Heroes of Might and Magic, Warcraft, Master of Orion I and II- great games!

Late 90's- Fallout, Fallout II, Starcraft, Baldur's Gate

2000's- Gothic I and II (fantastic games) and Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. To this day, it is the best game I've played. Never really enjoyed anything since.

I know, you will all say I'm an old fart.
September 23, 2010 12:40:31 AM

horst_wessel said:
I know, you will all say I'm an old fart.

As you didn't mention Space invaders, Moon Cresta, Scramble, Breakout, Asteroids, Missile Command or Galaxian I consider you to be a youngling. :lol: 
September 23, 2010 12:45:32 AM

yes, those are arcade games I've only heard of.. I remember Terra Cresta though, perhaps a.k.a. Moon Cresta 2?
September 23, 2010 12:52:49 AM

horst_wessel said:
yes, those are arcade games I've only heard of.. I remember Terra Cresta though, perhaps a.k.a. Moon Cresta 2?

Only heard of? Crikey, those are the coin-op's that ate all of my lunch money as a kid! :lol: 
September 23, 2010 3:36:55 AM

Mousemonkey said:
As you didn't mention Space invaders, Moon Cresta, Scramble, Breakout, Asteroids, Missile Command or Galaxian I consider you to be a youngling. :lol: 

How about.... Pong!?!?!
September 23, 2010 3:44:54 AM

The coin op that had Breakout on it was also a Pong game IIRC, it was a three in one as there was like a squash version for single player.
September 23, 2010 7:23:23 PM

Duck hunt, By far the greatest game ever. super mario bros. and Metal Gear Solid (I was 8 When it came out)
September 28, 2010 10:33:44 AM

Rogue - pre graphics cards but a fun game, Pacman, and Quake 1 - awesome creepy sounds and gameplay.
October 11, 2010 6:47:02 AM

Heroes of Might and Magic II and III. and Terranigma from SNES.
And also can't forget that Space Harriers Man from 80's arcade!
October 11, 2010 11:32:50 AM

Mousemonkey said:

Never heard of moon cresta or scramble...

Space invaders and breakout were certainly on my list of early played games. My grandad ran an arcade, so I had free reign when visiting. That said I normally picked free goes on the egg laying machines with the toys inside...

I pretty much ignored the mainstream arcade games until later. I think first arcade games I ever really took advantage of being on freeplay were the first incarnations of outrun and afterburner, WAY after I had computers at home.

Problem with threads like this is that my answers will never be consitant from one thread to the next, depends on what I remember and feel at the time :D 

Gaming at home started with the earliest sinclair spectrums, zx80-81 etc (the family seemed to collect sinclair models we even had the infamous QL...) Space Invaders and breakout were there at the beginning of my game playing career. Pacman oddly I think I played more as a board game than on the speccy, although we did have it. I think we were on our 4th or 5th home computer by time Elite came out and redefined gaming for me forever...

Before Elite came out I would guess my favourites were space invaders, mainc miner, automania. Although that list could change on a day by day basis. I played so many games back then...

Then came elite. I still play variants to this day.

Then xwing, tie fighter, and leisure suit larry...

Then came a LONG break not playing video games at all - cars girls etc etc...

Not sure If I can really answer games I played when I was a kid beyond that point...

I only started gaming again after getting married, Id say since then Star Wars Galaxies, oblivion and the x beyond the frontier series games (a poor substitute for a modern elite but better than nothing)

Although I still like to think Im young, the fact that the lad who joined the company I work for today wasnt born when I started night clubbing suggests otherwise...
October 12, 2010 4:01:23 AM

Zelda a Link to the Past

ORIGINAL xbox Halo 1!! let me stress the first one!

Kohan

Fable 1 again let me stress the first one. It was too short, but they keep getting further from the almost perfect game they made and instead should have made a true sequel.

Warcraft BWL before the AQ expansion (lvl60)
October 12, 2010 6:00:59 PM

Fav 3 games from the past... (probably also first 3 games too)

Tiberium Sun (cant believe this isnt mentioned >.< my first ever real pc game played too)

Starcraft (my second real pc game!)

and ofc... POKEMON SERIES XD pika pika chuuuuuuuu (I think it started broadcasting when i was 7 or 8... it used to be so epic... race home after school.... and wait to watch it at 4 pm xD
October 12, 2010 6:08:02 PM

The very first "big budget" PC games I ever played were Wolfenstein 3D, Dune 2 and Eye of the Beholder 2.
October 15, 2010 3:32:05 PM

Contra and Mario on my NES
NFS II SE on PC, Freedom Fighters, Blood II and Age of Empires II on PC
October 15, 2010 7:57:27 PM

Some of the earliest computer games (not console) that I loved:

F-19 Stealth fighter on the Commodore-64
Airborne Rangers on the Commodore-64

I had alot of other games, but those 2 are the one's that I still remember. Dropping iron bombs, buzzing the runway before landing, keeping threat detection levels all the way down on F-19. The uber wire drawn looking graphics.
Airborne Rangers was another awesome game for the day.

For consoles: Original Atari Chopper Combat game (can't remember name, side scrolling) Atari 5200 game (again can't remember name) where it was a giant playing field, like soccer with moving goals on opposite sides. Played 1 vs 1 with little ships that could move the ball and shoot it. The playing field was curved like the earth and huge...you could line up your shot so you could just barely see the goal...then shoot the ball...the recoil would push you back over the horizon out of sight of the goal for extra points.
Early Nitendo games: Mario Brother's, Various Link games. Classic arcade games like Contra and that ilk.

In my early 20's Golden Eye was kick ass, Neverwinter Nights on AOL, Mario Cart. STREET FIGHTER 2. (many variations, started with just normal Street Fighter 2)

**Wiki rules. The Atari 5200 game was Ballblazer from Lucasfilm.**

Yes, I'm old. And Yes, I've been playing video games since their where video games. I remember Pong, and when Pac-man and Frogger came out.

****And like Mousemonkey, I spent many days and all my money for many years at the local arcade, "Blazing Flippers" (not that it has more then 1 or 2 pinball machines). Heck, I was their back in 1991 in my senior year of high school, having already signed up for the Navy when we started the bombing of Iraq the FIRST time. Came over the radio.****
October 22, 2010 1:44:07 PM

well mine was

1) Super mario

2) Bomber man

3) Virtual Cop
October 30, 2010 2:25:45 AM

Zelda (First one) -- After the first couple it got lame.

Chrono Trigger --

Metroid (first one) --
November 3, 2010 2:13:02 AM

Super Dogde Ball - NES - Absolute classic, check it out if you get a chance

Actraiser - SNES - Took me about a month to figure it out with my older brother. Once we did, he lost interest. I never did...one of the greatest SNES games of all time!

Half-Life 2 - PC - Opened the world of FPS to the masses, especially me...Inspired me to build my first gaming rig by hand. An unparalleled gaming achievement for Steam and PC gaming as a whole
November 5, 2010 10:14:14 AM

bomberman , mario, tank on terminator video game
November 14, 2010 7:37:14 PM

Mousemonkey said:

I spent many, many quarters on space invaders in 1980. :) 
November 15, 2010 1:47:48 AM

Softball, Monopoly, D-Day by Avalon Hill..
November 15, 2010 5:00:01 PM

Worms, Close combat, Age of empires series, CivI-II. All good games!
November 15, 2010 5:41:59 PM

Age of Empires
Tony Hawk's pro skater
Sonic on sega
Dino Crysis 1
need for speed 2
November 16, 2010 11:26:31 PM

starcraft
command and conquer: tiberum sun
red alert 2
November 19, 2010 6:23:27 AM

Metroid (SNES)