Sign in with
Your question

asus A8V Deluxe with double sided RAM.

Last response: in Motherboards
March 22, 2005 12:53:09 AM

I'm thinking of getting an Athlon64 fx-53 on a Asus A8V Deluxe (read too many compatability issues with the A8N-SLI, and i need to run design software without crashes more than i need to play games 75% faster)and read a little bit about the newer RAM out.. I recall a snippet about DDR400 being a good solution and was thinking kingston, cause i've used it before.. I want about 2 gig - Am i on the right track with the speed of the RAM for the board?

Basically im doing my yearly Tom's Hardware research for new gear and once again everything i knew doesn't apply and im a hardware noob again lol - SLI is back?!!? etc etc :) 

Just trying to set up a kickass system, but not ultra highend gaming (as much as it would be awesome to have dual 6800 Ultra's), just a good athlon graphics machine, and going to try and run protools on it which is a touch and go situation with the compatability: http://www.digidesign.com/compato/xp/64/mbox/
the mbox doesn't seem to have any reported problems with A64's but it makes me want to steer clear of the SLI with it's higher "issue" rate.

Cheers
March 22, 2005 4:02:10 AM

"Supports Unbuffered DDR memory: PC3200, PC 2700, PC 2100, or PC1600"

PC3200 ram runs at 400mhz bus speed. So, Yes... that ram you're looking at will be the ideal speed for this processor. I've seen mention of a Socket940 version of this processor. Make sure you get a Socket939 or it wont fit on that motherboard.
!