Sign in with
Your question

Odd noise from the Mobo (A7N8X-D) during posting

Last response: in Motherboards
March 22, 2005 1:43:57 PM

Just started to noting this about a week ago with one of my rigs. When I turn on my rig, I hear what sounds like ElECTRICAL CHIRPING NOISES and the pattern is identical each time I freshly turn the rig on and sometimes hear this when shutting down. I would have noticed this from day one since Ive speant a great deal running the machine close to me when I was OCing the rig so I can confirm this is a new issue.

Also occasionally my machine will not complete a bootup and sometime will not shut down so Im thinking the 2 issues are related some how. I have removes ALL peripherals and was able to isolate the sound comming from the mobo but cannot islolate any futher. Probably looking into replacing something now but wondered if anyone else here has heard of this noise. Thanks.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
March 22, 2005 3:13:44 PM

Have you tried making the room completely dark and seeing if you can see any arcing in the case or on the components?

March 22, 2005 4:24:34 PM

If you mean a voltage discharge then I haven tried that out yet. Would have to remove my case fans since they are LEDs would have to use different RAM since the modules had lights on them.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
Related resources
March 22, 2005 4:29:49 PM

LEDs/lighted RAM kinda takes the winds out of that idea...have any spare fans that you can install? You could try unplugging the LED fans and using a household fan to blow inside the case. Even if you can't gt it 100% dark - get as close as you can and give it a shot...

March 22, 2005 6:04:14 PM

Fans are not the problem but the RAM LED is. It is using a low frequency light (red) but the luminosity is high. Could put electrical black tape over them to see I can see a jolt on the PCB mobo.

March 22, 2005 7:38:05 PM

Obviously be careful using the tape on them...Otherwise, it sounds like a good option.

March 22, 2005 8:37:01 PM

Here is some info on <A HREF="http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images" target="_new">Bad capacitors</A>.

March 22, 2005 8:56:33 PM

Well I have removed all peripherals the boot the rig up and still made that blasted chirp however Dont recall doing an unplug of ALL peripherals from a FRESH bootup so will try that tonight. Still thinking mobo since I unplugged all peripherals and still made that chirping noise.

March 22, 2005 9:00:44 PM

The caps wusy's talking about will be all over the mobo...he's agreeing with you.

March 22, 2005 10:03:10 PM

I know,,

Im going to check all my cap to see any are bloated, leaked out, or discolored tonight. Will be checking every nm of the PCB for anything fishy and hope I can find the part to replace it if I find something. Wish this rig started this either few ago or few months later from now.

March 22, 2005 10:07:52 PM

Now to think of it, could also be my AGP card sine in my COD gamming, Ive been getting some artifact blocks but throught it was the recent driver I installed so Id better check my AGP out too and montior my 12v rails more closely than normal. It odd these kinds of glitching I would be getting BSOD by now and havent received a one.

March 22, 2005 10:09:01 PM

I always wish that it had NEVER started... :lol: 

March 22, 2005 10:46:16 PM

Got my vote on that!

March 22, 2005 10:53:06 PM

Well im ruling our PSU but doubt it is since I was able to pinpoint the sound comming somewhere on the mobo And the muchly "abused" AGP card is in that range area too. Im using an Antec TruePower 550 so there is no junker in there. Looks like I have to break out my spare parts box and use a little Trial n Error and monitor the rails. Will report on my findings.

March 23, 2005 1:28:41 AM

just been googling at mbm5 tonight a noticed that the +5v and +12v rails are off more then 5% (4.65 and 11.31). This with everything unplugged except the AGP and hardrive. Antec is guranting this PSU (Truepower 550) to be within +-5% which I am far beyond that. So either my mobo or PSU is being the culprit now.

I have checked the capacitors on my mobo and agp and found none that were damaged.

March 23, 2005 2:52:17 AM

The power supply could be causing problems but the chirping sounds like the same noise the NB fan makes on this IS7 when you first start it up. It goes away after a minute or so, but the fan could use some lube. It's definitely running dry.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
March 23, 2005 1:07:40 PM

Could be a fan or something not getting the required juice. This rig needs a good dusting too anyways and could have some dirty fans.

March 23, 2005 9:13:27 PM

Sound good there but I was thinking taking this rig outside with a can of aompressed air and a mask. The CPU heatsink itself is caked with dust, wish I had more time to clean out all my rigs.

March 24, 2005 8:32:16 PM

No biggy there,

I Right after I stop the spraying, I take the rig back inside before the dust settles back in, doing this inside is really stupidity at work.

The wired part is that after I dusted out the rig, I dont get the artifacting issues with my gamming anymore, even though I still get the bootup and shutdown issues. Probably going to do a clean rebuild/reinstall on this rig for it seems that I have multiple isolated issues going on.

March 24, 2005 9:34:46 PM

VGA Silencer Rev2 on high setting at all times.

March 24, 2005 9:35:49 PM

Also using Aluminum ramsinks on the ram.

March 26, 2005 1:58:13 PM

I don't know if it's same kind of noise, but when I switched from KT333 to nForce2, I bought a A7N8X-X, which is based on nForce2 400, I got some kind of odd electrical noise ALL the time, unless System would be doing sth (mp3, gaming etc..) when it's idle, that weird noise come out, I confirm the problem is due to motherboard cuz I started computer with only cpu ram and video card, then I exchange the board with a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L, the problem is gone (well, somewhat)
!