HP Laptop Non-responsive

Group;

I rebuilt a users HP Pavilion laptop last month. It was snappy with a fresh
install of XP Pro.

Today the machine is performing at a snail's pace. It takes 15 minutes to
boot. It got blue screens upon trying to boot. My initial thought was that
it was a hardware problem. I ran the diagnostic (press the F12 key when
booting) and all hardware was fine. Then the user said he was at a hotel
over the weekend and was trying to get on their Internet, and that he also
installed Incredimail, and other nonsense.

My thought now that I'm trying to re-install XP and save his data is: It's
an AMD Athlon 4 processor with 512 MB RAM and 30 GB HDD. I think the
processor is overheated. The fan rarely comes on; only upon startup.

Anyone have any similar problems and resolutions?

Thanks.

Doug
9 answers Last reply
More about laptop responsive

    Could be spyware. Could be overheating. Could be a bad temperature sensor
    controlling the fan. My bet is on spyware, but before taking me up on the bet,
    run diagnostics on the hardware. MEMTEST-86 is as good as any for memory and
    CPU testing. The hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics are the best for the
    drive. Then install, update definitions and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware SE, in
    either order... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:40:39 GMT, "Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress"
    <dholtzNOSPAM@wi.rr.com> wrote:

    >Group;
    >
    >I rebuilt a users HP Pavilion laptop last month. It was snappy with a fresh
    >install of XP Pro.
    >
    >Today the machine is performing at a snail's pace. It takes 15 minutes to
    >boot. It got blue screens upon trying to boot. My initial thought was that
    >it was a hardware problem. I ran the diagnostic (press the F12 key when
    >booting) and all hardware was fine. Then the user said he was at a hotel
    >over the weekend and was trying to get on their Internet, and that he also
    >installed Incredimail, and other nonsense.
    >
    >My thought now that I'm trying to re-install XP and save his data is: It's
    >an AMD Athlon 4 processor with 512 MB RAM and 30 GB HDD. I think the
    >processor is overheated. The fan rarely comes on; only upon startup.
    >
    >Anyone have any similar problems and resolutions?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Doug

    Run them in safe mode.
    Sometimes its faster, as some spyware won't load in safe mode.
    Amir

    :
    : On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:40:39 GMT, "Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress"
    : <dholtzNOSPAM@wi.rr.com> wrote:
    :
    : >Group;
    : >
[...]

    Good idea. Safe mode is a species of diagnostic test because it loads a minimum
    of memory-resident programs. Look at what is loaded with MSCONFIG, or, better
    yet, HIJACKTHIS... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:28:58 -0500, "The JOAT" <imthejoat@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Run them in safe mode.
    >Sometimes its faster, as some spyware won't load in safe mode.
    >Amir

    <SNIP>

    Ben;

    After a 3-hour marathon to try and re-install an operating system, it
    wouldn't boot. Ran the built-in diagnostics again and this time it said we
    had a hard drive failure.

    I've seen a lot of posts on IBM laptop failures. Very disappointing. Had
    higher regard for their drives. Heck, I own both laptop and server drives
    from IBM.

    Gave the test results to the user; he is going to have *someone else*
    replace the drive and rebuild the machine.

    Doug
    > Good idea. Safe mode is a species of diagnostic test because it loads a
    > minimum
    > of memory-resident programs. Look at what is loaded with MSCONFIG, or,
    > better
    > yet, HIJACKTHIS... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:28:58 -0500, "The JOAT" <imthejoat@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Run them in safe mode.
    >>Sometimes its faster, as some spyware won't load in safe mode.
    >>Amir
    >>

    > <SNIP>

    Doug,

    One would hope you were amply compensated for your labors.

    Yes, IBM went through a bad patch with disk drives, mostly notebook and desktop,
    but not server drives AFAIK. Then they sold off the disk drive division to
    Hitachi. I am at a loss to give a clean recommendation to any brand of hard
    drive any more. Had a Dell notebook just out of warranty (one year) in here
    recently with a failing Seagate drive. I've always thought Seagates were pretty
    good. Of course, this was a NOTEBOOK computer, and who knows what acts of
    unkindness were perpetrated by its owner... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:45:03 GMT, "Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress"
    <dholtzNOSPAM@wi.rr.com> wrote:

    >Ben;
    >
    >After a 3-hour marathon to try and re-install an operating system, it
    >wouldn't boot. Ran the built-in diagnostics again and this time it said we
    >had a hard drive failure.
    >
    >I've seen a lot of posts on IBM laptop failures. Very disappointing. Had
    >higher regard for their drives. Heck, I own both laptop and server drives
    >from IBM.
    >
    >Gave the test results to the user; he is going to have *someone else*
    >replace the drive and rebuild the machine.
    >
    >Doug
    >> Good idea. Safe mode is a species of diagnostic test because it loads a
    >> minimum
    >> of memory-resident programs. Look at what is loaded with MSCONFIG, or,
    >> better
    >> yet, HIJACKTHIS... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:28:58 -0500, "The JOAT" <imthejoat@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Run them in safe mode.
    >>>Sometimes its faster, as some spyware won't load in safe mode.
    >>>Amir
    >>>

    >> <SNIP>

    :) Compensation

    Yep, the user went and bought a new laptop and asked me to get it set up. 1
    hour later he stuffed a $20 bill in my shirt pocket and said "Thanks for the
    help". He is taking his HP and having a local tech sell him a drive and
    rebuild the machine. A lot more than $20 from him. Every one's values are
    different. At least this spares me the task of figuring out how to remove
    the bad drive :) HP's web site does not address this issue or make it easy
    to find the diagnostic stuff to put on a small non-dos partition. Let the
    local tech do this; it's really fine with me.

    Doug
    > Doug,
    >
    > One would hope you were amply compensated for your labors.
    >
    > Yes, IBM went through a bad patch with disk drives, mostly notebook and
    > desktop,
    > but not server drives AFAIK. Then they sold off the disk drive division
    > Hitachi. I am at a loss to give a clean recommendation to any brand of
    > hard
    > drive any more. Had a Dell notebook just out of warranty (one year) in
    > here
    > recently with a failing Seagate drive. I've always thought Seagates were
    > pretty
    > good. Of course, this was a NOTEBOOK computer, and who knows what acts of
    > unkindness were perpetrated by its owner... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:45:03 GMT, "Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress"
    > <dholtzNOSPAM@wi.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Ben;
    >>
    >>After a 3-hour marathon to try and re-install an operating system, it
    >>wouldn't boot. Ran the built-in diagnostics again and this time it said
    >>we
    >>had a hard drive failure.
    >>
    >>I've seen a lot of posts on IBM laptop failures. Very disappointing. Had
    >>higher regard for their drives. Heck, I own both laptop and server drives
    >>from IBM.
    >>
    >>Gave the test results to the user; he is going to have *someone else*
    >>replace the drive and rebuild the machine.
    >>
    >>Doug
    >><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>> Good idea. Safe mode is a species of diagnostic test because it loads a
    >>> minimum
    >>> of memory-resident programs. Look at what is loaded with MSCONFIG, or,
    >>> better
    >>> yet, HIJACKTHIS... Ben Myers

    >>> <SNIP>

    BTW,

    The Netserver LPr I bought is just awesome. Runs without whimper. Just a
    lot of fan noise and it just boogies.

    > Doug,
    >
    > One would hope you were amply compensated for your labors.
    >
    > Yes, IBM went through a bad patch with disk drives, mostly notebook and
    > desktop,
    > but not server drives AFAIK. Then they sold off the disk drive division
    > Hitachi. I am at a loss to give a clean recommendation to any brand of
    > hard
    > drive any more. Had a Dell notebook just out of warranty (one year) in
    > here
    > recently with a failing Seagate drive. I've always thought Seagates were
    > pretty
    > good. Of course, this was a NOTEBOOK computer, and who knows what acts of
    > unkindness were perpetrated by its owner... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:45:03 GMT, "Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress"
    > <dholtzNOSPAM@wi.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Ben;
    >>
    >>After a 3-hour marathon to try and re-install an operating system, it
    >>wouldn't boot. Ran the built-in diagnostics again and this time it said
    >>we
    >>had a hard drive failure.
    >>
    >>I've seen a lot of posts on IBM laptop failures. Very disappointing. Had
    >>higher regard for their drives. Heck, I own both laptop and server drives
    >>from IBM.
    >>
    >>Gave the test results to the user; he is going to have *someone else*
    >>replace the drive and rebuild the machine.
    >>
    >>Doug
    >><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>> Good idea. Safe mode is a species of diagnostic test because it loads a
    >>> minimum
    >>> of memory-resident programs. Look at what is loaded with MSCONFIG, or,
    >>> better
    >>> yet, HIJACKTHIS... Ben Myers

    >>> <SNIP>

    FWIW, it's OK to set up a system without the non-DOS diagnostic partition.

    Unless you did the work for the person on company time as part of your paid
    daytime job, you got screwed... Ben

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:07:25 GMT, "Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress"
    <dholtzNOSPAM@wi.rr.com> wrote:

    >:) Compensation
    >
    >Yep, the user went and bought a new laptop and asked me to get it set up. 1
    >hour later he stuffed a $20 bill in my shirt pocket and said "Thanks for the
    >help". He is taking his HP and having a local tech sell him a drive and
    >rebuild the machine. A lot more than $20 from him. Every one's values are
    >different. At least this spares me the task of figuring out how to remove
    >the bad drive :) HP's web site does not address this issue or make it easy
    >to find the diagnostic stuff to put on a small non-dos partition. Let the
    >local tech do this; it's really fine with me.
    >
    >Doug
    >> Doug,
    >>
    >> One would hope you were amply compensated for your labors.
    >>
    >> Yes, IBM went through a bad patch with disk drives, mostly notebook and
    >> desktop,
    >> but not server drives AFAIK. Then they sold off the disk drive division
    >> Hitachi. I am at a loss to give a clean recommendation to any brand of
    >> hard
    >> drive any more. Had a Dell notebook just out of warranty (one year) in
    >> here
    >> recently with a failing Seagate drive. I've always thought Seagates were
    >> pretty
    >> good. Of course, this was a NOTEBOOK computer, and who knows what acts of
    >> unkindness were perpetrated by its owner... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:45:03 GMT, "Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress"
    >> <dholtzNOSPAM@wi.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ben;
    >>>
    >>>After a 3-hour marathon to try and re-install an operating system, it
    >>>wouldn't boot. Ran the built-in diagnostics again and this time it said
    >>>we
    >>>had a hard drive failure.
    >>>
    >>>I've seen a lot of posts on IBM laptop failures. Very disappointing. Had
    >>>higher regard for their drives. Heck, I own both laptop and server drives
    >>>from IBM.
    >>>
    >>>Gave the test results to the user; he is going to have *someone else*
    >>>replace the drive and rebuild the machine.
    >>>
    >>>Doug
    >>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message

    That is why I hated the retail market. I mainly do subcontract work for local
    computer stores and printer outlets. It is a lot more fun to buy surplus Laser
    printers and refurbished them and sell them to wholesale market. Don't have to
    deal with all those ID 10 T problems.

    Dewaine

Hewlett Packard Computers