Any suggestions on how to deal with Verizon on this issue?

Last response: in Network Providers
August 26, 2004 7:21:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Verizon Wireless is not honoring a special promotion deal that they made
with me when I signed a two-year contract with them in October 2003.

I originally signed up for Verizon Wireless service in October 2002 at a
Radio Shack store. I signed a one-year contract in order to get a
special promotion on call minutes and a special price on a phone. I got
a Motorola V120C phone for a special price which was higher than the
price for getting the phone on a two-year contract. I had to pay a
small fee to get a one-year contract, which would not have to be paid
had I signed up for a two-year contract. I also got a one-year warranty
on the phone - which would be repaired or replaced at no charge during
the first year.

During that first year I had several problems with the original phone,
and it was repaired several times at the Verizon store at North Hills SC
in Raleigh, NC. The repairs did not seem to fix the phone, as people
kept complaining that they couldn’t hear me, or that my calls kept
getting dropped even within a ten-mile radius of downtown Raleigh, NC.
So in the Fall of 2003 – on or about early October 2003 – a Verizon
Customer Service support person told me on the phone that I should take
my phone to a Verizon store and have it replaced with either a new phone
with a new warranty (since my contract was almost up) or a refurbished
phone that would not have any additional warranty coverage). This was
well within the one-year warranty of the original phone.

At the time, I would have wanted to replace the phone only with a camera
flip phone that were on the market with other companies, but Verizon
didn’t carry them at this time. If I had known that they were not going
to carry them for almost a year, I would have switched carriers.

I didn’t want to get a totally new phone until I could make sure I was
going to get a good deal with Verizon to renew my contract. So I wanted
to see about getting a refurbished phone at least until I made up my
mind. The Verizon store at North Hills did have V120C phones in stock,
but they did not have a way to download all my store phone numbers, so
they told me that I would have to get my phone from the Cary Verizon
store. I contacted the Cary store and was informed that they didn't have
any V120C phones in stick, that they would order me a replacement V120C
phone, and would call me when it came in.

After several days, the phone had not come in. I was worried that the
one-year warranty would run out before the phone came in, so I contacted
the main Verizon Customer Service support center (by dialing 611 and
following the voice prompts) and asked them what they could do about
expediting the shipping of my refurbished phone. They said they had
nothing to do with that, and suggested that I get a new phone. I asked
if there was any special deal that was being offered for signing up for
a new contract. This was in early to mid October 2003, and my contract
was due to expire at the end of the October.

I was told on the phone that if I renewed my contract with Verizon by
signing a new two-year contract, I was told I would be able to get a
special price on a new phone that would be lower then the price I would
pay if I had renewed for only one year, which was lower than the price I
would get for no contract.

At the time, Verizon had only recently introduced the the V120E phone -
an upgrade from the V120C model. But it was not the phone I wanted -
Motorola had been introducing a variety of camera flip phones and I was
told by Verizon and had read on the Internet that Verizon would be
getting them before Christmas. (This news was all over the Internet by
this time. Of course as it got closer to Christmas, Verizon claimed
that Motorola was having problems with parts delivery, and so they were
going to carry LG flip camera phones instead of Motorola).

When I told them that they didn't have any new phones I wanted to get
right now, but that there were some phones scheduled to be released in
the near future (by Christmas 2003), they said they would honor the
price on the new phone for the two-year contract for one year after
signing the two-year contract. That was my incentive to sign a two-year
contract.

Before I actually signed the new two-year contract at the end of October
2003, I went into Verizon in Cary and got a refurbished phone. They no
longer had any V120C phone, so they gave me a refurbished V120E phone
that had no additional warranty - the warranty on the original phone was
set to expire at the end October 2003. I would not have had a working
phone had I not gotten the refurbished phone under the warranty.

When I did sign the two-year contract at the end of October 2003, I did
increase the number of peak minutes in my plan by paying more money per
month when I signed the new two-year contract, but I could have gotten
that same plan had I only signed a one-year contract. Then I waited for
the new phones to arrive in the stores so I could take advantage of the
offer Verizon had made to

Well Verizon and Motorola had some well-publicized problems with their
Motorola camera flip phones in late 2003. Basically - there weren't
going to be any Motorola phones introduced in time for Christmas, and
the first camera phones that Verizon offered were not tri-mode phones
(that would work in analog as well as digital mode), so I held off
making a purchase of a new phone. Verizon was scheduled to introduce
these phones by March, May, June, July and early August and kept pushing
the introductions back until they finally introduced the Motorola V710
which is on the market now (as of 8/12/04).

I kept worrying that they wouldn't have a good phone out until the first
year of my two year contract would expire, but the phone is out now and
I contacted Verizon Customer Service via their 611 number to confirm
that they would honor their offer to let my purchase the phone based on
the incentive offered when I signed the contract last year, and they
told me that I couldn't get a price on the phone for signing a two-year
because I didn't take advantage of it when I originally renewed the
two-year contract in October 2003. They said if I wanted a new phone
now at the two-year price, I would have to sign a new two-year contract
effective now to get the two-year price on the new phone. They basically
told me I should have got a new phone when I renewed in October 2003,
even though they told me otherwise to get me to sign up in October 2003
because they didn’t have a new phone I wanted at that time. I was
within my rights to get a refurbished phone under the one-year warranty
on my orignal phone. Now it appears that I got a phone with no warranty
and they will not honor the incentive offer they made me in October 2003.

And of course at
http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer.asp?referringdomain...
I can get the same phone for $169.99 with a new two year contract, which
is $100 less than I can get the same phone from Verizon with a new
two-year contract. I can't buy the phone from Wirefly and use it for my
current contract.

So if I just buy the phone from Verzion with no contract, I have to pay
$319 bucks. If I buy the phone from them and sign a new contract, it
will cost me $279. If I get it through Wirefly.com, I can save over
$100 for the same two-year contract. I was wondering - if I get a new
two-year contract with Verizon but sign it through Wirefly, will Verizon
honor the contract and let me extend it?

Or any suggestions on how to get Verizon to match the Wirefly price and
deal if I sign the two-year contract with them?
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 6:10:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Your story is a bit long and complex for the casual usenet reader but I
culled a few things from it.

Let me begin by saying I have been extremely pleased with Verizon, have four
phones on their network, and have been with them for many years. They have
always proven to be very good (and flexible) with me and my family.

So, to go on, first, different carriers have best coverage in different
areas. While Verizon has the best coverage in my NY metro area and I've
been with them for years, they may not be your best carrier in NC. That may
explain the dropouts. Though you do say they kept "repairing" the phone, I
can't imagine what hardware (or software for that matter) "repairs" could be
made to improve coverage.

But, whatever, that case is what it is and what was done is done.

Second, as far as I know WHEREVER you buy or obtain your phone, ANY Verizon
store is supposed to transfer your phone book to your new phone, either for
free, or for $10 maximum, depending on their whim. So, you should have been
able to get your refurbished phone from the North Hills store and take it to
Cary for the phone book transfer. I am surprised they didn't offer you that
opportunity. It might have been a good question to ask.

Last, it appears to me that you, yourself, added to your current situation
by trying to hedge your bets. Not that doing so is wrong of you as a
consumer, but doing so comes with some inherent risks, as you've found out.
Poorly trained personnel on the telephone often make "promises" which are
inaccurate, misleading and/or misinformed. They are, after all, protected
by the anonimity of the telephone. If you don't have it in writing, or at
least have that persons' name and i.d. number, you basically have nothing at
all.

Sorry for the lecture, but it is a "lesson too late for the learning".

There was no need for you to renew your contract until the phone you wanted
was in the store, ready to be bought. All Verizon customers automatically
go on a month-to-month contract after their initial annual or bi-annual
contract expires. Your service would NOT have terminated. So, you could
have just waited until the phone you wanted was out and available before
renewing. I do that all the time.

Anyway, all that aside, what to do? It won't be easy, but you could try
paring your story down a little to the most pertinent facts (it's way too
long and complex as you've told it and filled with irrelevancies) and call
611 again.

To me , the briefest essence of your story is this: "When I chose to renew
my contract, I was told I would be given a credit for a new phone as I did
not take one at the time of renewal. To date, I have received neither a new
phone nor the credit for one. Can you please give me the credit for a new
phone?".

I would leave out all that detail fluff so the 611 customer service rep can
understand what you want. Just make the above direct-to-the-point statement
similar to what I've offered you as an example and see what happens.

And, of course, there's always your local small claims court. I think a
small claims court arbitrator or judge might be sympathetic to your story.
But, I also think that as soon as Verizon receives the summons, they'll
contact you and rectify the problem. They don't want to go to court. I'm
only suggesting this as a last resort tactic. I am not, by nature, a
litigious person but would do it if given no choice.

Good luck and I hope I've helped.

"USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> And of course at

http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer.asp?referringdomain...
> I can get the same phone for $169.99 with a new two year contract, which
> is $100 less than I can get the same phone from Verizon with a new
> two-year contract. I can't buy the phone from Wirefly and use it for my
> current contract.
>
> So if I just buy the phone from Verzion with no contract, I have to pay
> $319 bucks. If I buy the phone from them and sign a new contract, it
> will cost me $279. If I get it through Wirefly.com, I can save over
> $100 for the same two-year contract. I was wondering - if I get a new
> two-year contract with Verizon but sign it through Wirefly, will Verizon
> honor the contract and let me extend it?
>
> Or any suggestions on how to get Verizon to match the Wirefly price and
> deal if I sign the two-year contract with them?
August 27, 2004 3:36:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in message
> Verizon Wireless is not honoring a special promotion deal that they made
> with me when I signed a two-year contract with them in October 2003.
>
> I originally signed up for Verizon Wireless service in October 2002 at a
> Radio Shack store. I signed a one-year contract in order to get a
> special promotion on call minutes and a special price on a phone. I got
> a Motorola V120C phone for a special price which was higher than the
> price for getting the phone on a two-year contract. I had to pay a
> small fee to get a one-year contract, which would not have to be paid
> had I signed up for a two-year contract. I also got a one-year warranty
> on the phone - which would be repaired or replaced at no charge during
> the first year.
>
> During that first year I had several problems with the original phone,
> and it was repaired several times at the Verizon store at North Hills SC
> in Raleigh, NC. The repairs did not seem to fix the phone, as people
> kept complaining that they couldn’t hear me, or that my calls kept
> getting dropped even within a ten-mile radius of downtown Raleigh, NC.
> So in the Fall of 2003 – on or about early October 2003 – a Verizon
> Customer Service support person told me on the phone that I should take
> my phone to a Verizon store and have it replaced with either a new phone
> with a new warranty (since my contract was almost up) or a refurbished
> phone that would not have any additional warranty coverage). This was
> well within the one-year warranty of the original phone.
>
> At the time, I would have wanted to replace the phone only with a camera
> flip phone that were on the market with other companies, but Verizon
> didn’t carry them at this time. If I had known that they were not going
> to carry them for almost a year, I would have switched carriers.

Ahhhhh, you are experiencing the horrible timing this company has with
releasing phones very late and out of time. Remember, this company will
ALWAYS release phones much later then it's compeitor companies. So an
example would be if a new technology is arising that doesn't pertain to a
specific cellular company when the first cellular company starts using it or
gets it, Verizon will wait on that for well over a year until you see it on
their phone line-up. It's really too bad....you pay premium pricing, have
the best cellular network around and can barely expect to see the latest
phones on the market.

> I didn’t want to get a totally new phone until I could make sure I was
> going to get a good deal with Verizon to renew my contract. So I wanted
> to see about getting a refurbished phone at least until I made up my
> mind. The Verizon store at North Hills did have V120C phones in stock,
> but they did not have a way to download all my store phone numbers, so
> they told me that I would have to get my phone from the Cary Verizon
> store. I contacted the Cary store and was informed that they didn't have
> any V120C phones in stick, that they would order me a replacement V120C
> phone, and would call me when it came in.
>
> After several days, the phone had not come in. I was worried that the
> one-year warranty would run out before the phone came in, so I contacted
> the main Verizon Customer Service support center (by dialing 611 and
> following the voice prompts) and asked them what they could do about
> expediting the shipping of my refurbished phone. They said they had
> nothing to do with that, and suggested that I get a new phone. I asked
> if there was any special deal that was being offered for signing up for
> a new contract. This was in early to mid October 2003, and my contract
> was due to expire at the end of the October.
>
> I was told on the phone that if I renewed my contract with Verizon by
> signing a new two-year contract, I was told I would be able to get a
> special price on a new phone that would be lower then the price I would
> pay if I had renewed for only one year, which was lower than the price I
> would get for no contract.
>
> At the time, Verizon had only recently introduced the the V120E phone -
> an upgrade from the V120C model. But it was not the phone I wanted -
> Motorola had been introducing a variety of camera flip phones and I was
> told by Verizon and had read on the Internet that Verizon would be
> getting them before Christmas. (This news was all over the Internet by
> this time. Of course as it got closer to Christmas, Verizon claimed
> that Motorola was having problems with parts delivery, and so they were
> going to carry LG flip camera phones instead of Motorola).

NEVER listen to this company on release dates. They release phones months
and months after the expected date. Specially NEVER listen to some one who
told you verbally. They have no clue on what they are talking about and if
you rely on what they said you will be screwed in the end. I've been around
a long time and have yet to see this company release a phone on time. Not
even once. A terrible record.

> [...]
>
> And of course at

http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer.asp?referringdomain...
> I can get the same phone for $169.99 with a new two year contract, which
> is $100 less than I can get the same phone from Verizon with a new
> two-year contract. I can't buy the phone from Wirefly and use it for my
> current contract.
>
> So if I just buy the phone from Verzion with no contract, I have to pay
> $319 bucks. If I buy the phone from them and sign a new contract, it
> will cost me $279. If I get it through Wirefly.com, I can save over
> $100 for the same two-year contract. I was wondering - if I get a new
> two-year contract with Verizon but sign it through Wirefly, will Verizon
> honor the contract and let me extend it?
>
> Or any suggestions on how to get Verizon to match the Wirefly price and
> deal if I sign the two-year contract with them?

You might as well just go with a different cellular company. Lets think
about this. If you had a company like Cingular or AT&T, you would have had a
large selection of beautiful phones that were all capable of the latest
technology. Not having a good phone line up does screw the customer to some
degree, but Verizon doesn't see it this way. All ya gotta do is read stuff
like this and you'll see what people go through!!!
August 27, 2004 6:26:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I actually tried to suggest taking the phone from the North Hills store
to the Cary store - but the North Hills store said that they had to keep
the old phone once they gave me the refurbished phone. That meant that
North Hills would have had me take both phones over to Cary to have the
numbers transferred, then bring the old phone back to North Hills for
their bookkeeping. As a photographer I sometimes have to borrow cars
for photo shoots, and it freaks me out that I can borrow a Rolls Royce
and drive it around town but can't take a phone from one store to the
other on my honor.

But I did go into the North Hills store today and told them my story.
After spent 15 minutes chatting with a guy who used to work for
Motorola (chip division, not phones), a CS rep named Tie came out and
told me I could get the V710 for the $249 price, and they sould give me
$100 off on top of it for signing a new contract. Which puts me in the
same place I would have been had I been able to go with Wirefly - a new
two-year contract for the phone I want at a good price. But I assume I
could also buy any other phone they have in there and get the two-year
price and $100 aditional credit.

But I did notice that the key pad on the V710 didn't look all that hot -
in fact on one of the demo phones, it looked like the keys are ready to
pop off the rubber or vinyl sheet they are mounted on. Anyone know
about the keys yet?

I also was thinking about the Audiovox CDM8600 - with the deal they gave
me, I can get the phone for free - does anyone know anything about this
phone either?

Chris

Carl Rothman wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>And of course at
>>

> http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer.asp?referringdomain...
>
>>I can get the same phone for $169.99 with a new two year contract, which
>>is $100 less than I can get the same phone from Verizon with a new
>>two-year contract. I can't buy the phone from Wirefly and use it for my
>>current contract.
>>
>>So if I just buy the phone from Verzion with no contract, I have to pay
>>$319 bucks. If I buy the phone from them and sign a new contract, it
>>will cost me $279. If I get it through Wirefly.com, I can save over
>>$100 for the same two-year contract. I was wondering - if I get a new
>>two-year contract with Verizon but sign it through Wirefly, will Verizon
>>honor the contract and let me extend it?
>>
>>Or any suggestions on how to get Verizon to match the Wirefly price and
>>deal if I sign the two-year contract with them?

August 27, 2004 8:26:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I have the new v710. I don't understand your reference to the keypad. the
phone is built solidly and works very well. Other than that the vibro-alert
is weaker than my v60i, I like the phone a lot. Are you sure you weren't
looking at one of those "dummy" phones they sometimes put out for display or
was it a working phone?

I highly recommend you accept that v710 deal.

Good luck.
> [...]
> >>
> >>And of course at

http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer.asp?referringdomain...

> >>I can get the same phone for $169.99 with a new two year contract, which
> >>is $100 less than I can get the same phone from Verizon with a new
> >>two-year contract. I can't buy the phone from Wirefly and use it for my
> >>current contract.
> >>
> >>So if I just buy the phone from Verzion with no contract, I have to pay
> >>$319 bucks. If I buy the phone from them and sign a new contract, it
> >>will cost me $279. If I get it through Wirefly.com, I can save over
> >>$100 for the same two-year contract. I was wondering - if I get a new
> >>two-year contract with Verizon but sign it through Wirefly, will Verizon
> >>honor the contract and let me extend it?
> >>
> >>Or any suggestions on how to get Verizon to match the Wirefly price and
> >>deal if I sign the two-year contract with them?

August 27, 2004 9:14:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:26:05 GMT, USENET READER
<usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote:

>I also was thinking about the Audiovox CDM8600 - with the deal they gave
>me, I can get the phone for free - does anyone know anything about this
>phone either?

Whatever your route, if you continue with VZW, ask about extended
warranty coverage for your phones to cover you after the warranty runs
out. You must sign up before it does.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:59:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

No - it was a working V710 that was secured to the base by a nylon
wire-tie that was wrapped around the phone, perhaps compressing the case
of the phone together and thereby pushing the keypad up and exposing the
edges of the key.

One thing I have been reading about the phone is that there is possibly
no way to store the images shot on the camere on the removable flash
card - does that mean the images only stay in the phone's memory to be
sent via pic messaging? Does this mean I can't store the images on the
flash card and remove the card and read it on my desktop?

Are there card readers available for the transflash cards that work on
desktop USB ports instead of laptops?

Chris

Carl Rothman wrote:
> [...]
>
> new
>
>>>phone?".
>>>
>>>I would leave out all that detail fluff so the 611 customer service rep
>
> can
>
>>>understand what you want. Just make the above direct-to-the-point
>
> statement
>
>>>similar to what I've offered you as an example and see what happens.
>>>
>>>And, of course, there's always your local small claims court. I think a
>>>small claims court arbitrator or judge might be sympathetic to your
>
> story.
>
>>>But, I also think that as soon as Verizon receives the summons, they'll
>>>contact you and rectify the problem. They don't want to go to court.
>
> I'm
>
>>>only suggesting this as a last resort tactic. I am not, by nature, a
>>>litigious person but would do it if given no choice.

August 28, 2004 3:16:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

By asking for extended warranty coverage before the warranty runs out,
you mean I don't have to ask for it when I first buy the phone? So I
can forgo this coverage until just before the warranty runs out?

Another question - my billing cycle starts on the 17th of the month.
It's August 28th and I hvae already gone 700 minutes into a 1100 minute
contract. If I buy the phone now, and sign a new two-year contract, I
know I will still have the same bill date, but Verizon will pro-rate my
minutes and I know I will end up getting screwed on the tail end of my
current plan and the prorated part of the first month of the new plan -
basically I will be over the 36.666 minutes per day and end up paying
$0.40 per minutes over the approximately 550 miuntes I get in a half
month. So I might wait until just before the end of the billing cycle
and then get the new phone and the new two-year contract so it can be
effective starting the 1st day of the new billing period. Or is there a
way to buy a phone today and ask Verizon to have the new contract go
into effect on the desired start date?

Chris

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:26:05 GMT, USENET READER
> <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote:
>

>>I also was thinking about the Audiovox CDM8600 - with the deal they gave
>>me, I can get the phone for free - does anyone know anything about this
>>phone either?
>

> Whatever your route, if you continue with VZW, ask about extended
> warranty coverage for your phones to cover you after the warranty runs
> out. You must sign up before it does.

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 5:51:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:16:38 GMT, USENET READER
<usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote:

>By asking for extended warranty coverage before the warranty runs out,
>you mean I don't have to ask for it when I first buy the phone? So I
>can forgo this coverage until just before the warranty runs out?

Precisely. What's the point in paying for extended warranty coverage
while the original manufacturer's warranty is still in effect? This
coverage is provided by VZW. It is not the same thing as the
insurance you can buy. So yes, wait until your 11th month of
ownership before signing up.

>Another question - my billing cycle starts on the 17th of the month.
>It's August 28th and I hvae already gone 700 minutes into a 1100 minute
>contract.

Dude, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're screwed right
there.

>If I buy the phone now, and sign a new two-year contract, I
>know I will still have the same bill date, but Verizon will pro-rate my
>minutes and I know I will end up getting screwed on the tail end of my
>current plan and the prorated part of the first month of the new plan -
>basically I will be over the 36.666 minutes per day and end up paying
>$0.40 per minutes over the approximately 550 miuntes I get in a half
>month. So I might wait until just before the end of the billing cycle
>and then get the new phone and the new two-year contract so it can be
>effective starting the 1st day of the new billing period. Or is there a
>way to buy a phone today and ask Verizon to have the new contract go
>into effect on the desired start date?

Talk to the manager. If you are staying on the same plan, I don't see
why they would need to prorate. If you aren't, I'd just wait until
your billing date gets closer. But if you only have 400 minutes left
for the rest of your month and continue to use it at the same rate,
you will be getting hit with one hell of an overage charge anyways.
!