Best nforce3 Ultra board?

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I am thinking about getting a new mobo and CPU. I want to get a 939 pin Winchester core CPU and an AGP mobo to go with it. This means an nForce3 Ultra board. Which one is the best? The rest of the system to go with it will be:
2x512 Patriot pc3200 w/ XBL
BFG 6800 OC AGP video card
120 GB SATA Seagate 7200.7 HDD
CD-RW, floppy...
The items listed above are remnants of an older system.

As an aside, I will be replacing a P4 2.8C on an Asus P4P800. How much of an improvement can I expect if I get a 3500+ Winchester running at stock speed?

Are you going to OC?

A lot of people like the MSI K8N Neo2 Plat, but I don't like MSI - bad previous experiences. Another great option is the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-222&depa=1" target="_new">Epox EP-9NDA3+</A>. About $30 less than the MSI, OCs well and is feature rich.

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Yes, I have not OC'd in the past, but I keep hearing Winchesters are getting great overclocks, so I thought I would try to get an extra 200-400 MHz out of the CPU.

Should be a pretty easy OC with that setup. You should be able to take a 3200+(2Ghz) to 3800+(2.4Ghz) performance with relative ease. What PSU are you using?

:/ Neither Abit nor Asus have an nForce 3 Ultra board...

<font color=red>You're a boil on the arse of progress - don't make me squeeze you!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rugger on 03/22/05 03:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I've got a Fortron Blue Storm 500W and the Antec P-160WF case w/ 2 120mm fans.

Back to the original question: What's the best nForce3 Ultra board out there?

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1" target="_new">Newegg</A> has Epox, MSI, and Gigabyte boards available. I have no experience with any of those manufacturers, save for an MSI video card.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Over_c on 03/22/05 03:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Nice case/PSU. :smile:
The MSI K8N Neo2 Plat has gotten the best reviews, but I refuse to recommend MSI because of issues that I have had with their mobos in the past. Between the Epox and the Gigabyte I would go with the Epox. Very solid board with great OC potential.

That's right I already said the Epox.
Another great option is the Epox EP-9NDA3+. About $30 less than the MSI, OCs well and is feature rich.
:/

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Yep, I guess you did already make your recommendation. Sorry about that.

Any other comments? That's one vote for Epox, and a vote against MSI.

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Does anybody have any comments to add to this <A HREF="http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2253" target="_new">Anandtech</A> review of the Epox board?

For example, I still use a floppy drive and I have a case window. Will I be annoyed by the floppy connector and 20-pin power connector placements?

Aesthetics are personal. I could say that I prefer women that are 5'10", blonde hair, measures 36"24"36" and weigh 130lbs. You could say that you prefer women that are 5', bald, 235lbs and measures 50"50"50". Who would be right?

Something that wouldn't annoy me might annoy you...

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know who would be "right" but I damn sure know who would be blind! :lol:

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

pat

Expert
Completly agree here.. and another vote against MSI

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MSI BOARD !!!

pat

Expert
It could count only if you vote against MSI.

Another vote against MSI here

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MSI BOARD !!!

pat

Expert
I could say that I prefer women that are 5'10", blonde hair, measures 36"24"36" and weigh 130lbs.

Yes you could, but you wont.. because it is not what you prefer.. doesnt it?

Oh.. add another vote against MSI here too

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Excuse me Pat, but didn't you just call Rugger a "butt pirate"?

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power

It's either that or he he thinks I go for the "full-figured" women! :lol:

That's ok - he was talking abut making love to his chip earlier...At least I'm semi-normal!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, but anytime you want to visit an active volcano it's just a hop, skip, and a jump. Let's see, favorite hobby or skinny blonde, hmmmmmmmmm...............

G

Bah, just stick her in some 4inch stilleto heels and it's all good :evil:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

pat

Expert
I just make the interpretation of what I read.. but... well

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Ok, we've got 2 votes for Epox, many against MSI, and no comments about Gigabytes K8NS line. Would anyone care to comment on Gigabyte's boards?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Over_c on 03/23/05 07:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Gigabyte makes great boards. Last week I serviced a S7 gigabyte board for a customer. Still runs great, just needed some cleaning. If you aren't OCing, gigabyte gets my vote.