Any Benefit Upgrading from ASUS P4S333 & 1.8G CPU?

craigsharrow

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
My primary application is Photoshop CS which I use to edit hi-res TIF files (50-700Mb). I'm using a 3-monitor display (Samsung SyncMaster 191T) configured as a 3840x1024 desktop using a Matrox Parhelia 128 (4AGP) card. I'm running WinXP with 1Gb DDR.

I have not found any other video card which appears to significantly improve the visual performance I get from the Parhelia - so I plan to move it to the proposed new system.

Since the Parhelia is AGP4 I can't use any of the newest Mobos that have a PCI Express 16 slot. I'm considering an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with a 3.2GHz Pentium CPU and 2Gb DDR.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:

Will I see any significant improvement in the speed that photos load or are processed? Are there any other real benefits in upgrading?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Chas

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Hard to know whether it would be worth it or not. But, why not look at Matrox for a PCI-Express version of the card coming out in the near future? If they were to do that, the video performance alone (going from AGP4 to PCIx-16) not to mention other improvements would make it worth doing.

I don't think I'd invest in any AGP mobo at this time; the move to PCI-Express has just begun and most video mfrs are expected to introduce no new AGP models -- well, they have to introduce SOMETHING! So, it will surely be PCI-Express.

I'd watch Matrox and take my cue from what they do and when they do it.