AMD 64 socket 754 pci-e?

tasey

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
I recently put together a new computer and at the time didn't have the money for a pci-e mobo and a video card....so I ended up going with a agp board. Well now I want to upgrade my video card but I was wondering if there is a pci-e mobo for a AMD 64 socket 754? I haven't found one yet, but if there is one out there can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

FYI i'm looking at buying the bfg 6800 gt oc (possible ultra).

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
To my knowledge, 754 doesn't support PCI-E. And I could be wrong, but I have heard that there is no performance difference between AGP and PCI-E on equivalent video cards, it's just becoming the new standard. If you want PCI-E, you have to go to 939.

G

That's true enough for now, however their are rumors now that ATI's upcoming R520 gpu will not be released agp. Only rumors at this point :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

tasey

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
Yeah, i've noticed there isn't a huge differance between agp and pci-e versions but still enough to make me want one. I'll stick with agp for now and in a few years when games demand that extra umph, i'll make the jump.

Andrea

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Soltek, MSI, and Asus have 754 pcie boards. The Asus is $179. at Zipzoomfly.com. Not sure about the price of the others.

pat

Expert
<A HREF="http://www.soltek.de/soltek/product/products_all.php?isbn_st=SL-NF4-754RL" target="_new">Soltek nf4 754 mainboard</A>.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MSI BOARD !!!

tasey

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
Thanks alot for the feedback! So now my question is, do I buy a new mobo with pci-e and a cheaper video card such as maybe a 6800gt pci-e? Or should I just but the 6800 Ultra, money is kinda tight, want the most bang for my buck.

G

If you're gonna go pci-e with a tight budget, I'd recommend the ATI x800xl, and for AGP I'd recommend the geforce 6800gt. Whether or not to get the new mobo and go pci-e, that's up to your budget. Not much difference performance wise between pci-e and agp, pci-e is just for future upgradeability. AGP will probably be ok for at least awhile. Even if ATI and Nvidia release their next gen cards pci-e only, ask yourself if you'd be willing to spend $700 - $1000 for one anyways.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>