Doom Engine in other games...

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?

Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)

Gary.

"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?
>
> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)

If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.

I hear Call of Duty 2 will be using the Doom3 enine.

-Mike

"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:gyEpd.23409
> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
> engine?
>
> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)

Quake IV, the sequel to Quake II :D

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"EvilBill" <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:gyEpd.23409
>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>> engine?
>>
>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)
>>

> Quake IV, the sequel to Quake II :D

I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.

Anything before 2005?

Gary.

Gary wrote:

> I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.
>
> Anything before 2005?
>
> Gary.

I heard its going to have both, a 1 player sequel to quake 2 and an all new
multiplayer

"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>> engine?
>>
>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)
>
> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>
> I hear Call of Duty 2 will be using the Doom3 enine.
>
> -Mike

Drool....

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
> "EvilBill" <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:gyEpd.23409
>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>> engine?
>>>
>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)
>>>

>> Quake IV, the sequel to Quake II :D
>

> I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.

It's not MP focused in the way Q3 was. It's the direct sequel to Quake II -
both in singleplayer storyline and multiplayer style, at least as far as I'm
aware.

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>> engine?
>>
>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)
>
> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.

If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :)

gary.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:

>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>> engine?
>>>
>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)
>>
>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>

>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :)

In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
up.)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:35:40 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:

>What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?
>
>Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)

Considering you need a 3.2 P4 and a GF 6800 Ultra to get a steady 60
FPS in room-size maps I don't think any company is going to invest big
money in their game engine any time soon.

Mabye in 3 or 4 years the Doomed 3 engine will come into fashion if it
can do more than Doomed 3 did.

As for Half Life Source... OMFG! Their wide open maps and graphics
blow away anything out there. And you get great frame rates to boot.
I definitely want to see more games using that engine.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:32:29 -0000, "DooM³d" <NOSPAM@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.
>>
>> Anything before 2005?
>>
>> Gary.
>
>I heard its going to have both, a 1 player sequel to quake 2 and an all new
>multiplayer

A sequel to Quake 2??

I'm sorry... Did Quake 2 have a storyline? I must have missed it.
Maybe they'll make a movie... :/

On 26 Nov 2004 08:24:23 -0800, Mike359@gmail.com (Mike359) wrote:

>"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?
>>
>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)
>
>If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>
>I hear Call of Duty 2 will be using the Doom3 enine.

Yeah I hear WW2 was fought in little rooms with nazis with glowing
eyes popping out of the dark. Should make for a good sequal.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:35:04 GMT, "Cy Edmunds"
<cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>> engine?
>>>
>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)
>>
>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>>
>> I hear Call of Duty 2 will be using the Doom3 enine.
>>
>> -Mike
>
>Drool....

Yeah try not to drool over your GF 6800 ultra.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:33:29 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>
>>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message

>>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>>

>>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :)
>>

>In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
>properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
>up.)

Heretic 2 used the Quake 1 engine.

Games like Half Life 1 used a modified version of the Quake 2 engine.

Hi Raymond,
It does on my system.

G.
"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>
>>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message

>>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>>

>>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :)
>>

> In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
> properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
> up.)

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name SCRAPPLE

System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 04

System Model D7210B-ABA 7905

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 0 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~1594 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. 3.05, 8/28/2001

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

User Name SCRAPPLE\Owner

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 534.10 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.21 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:32:29 -0000, "DooM³d" <NOSPAM@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>I heard its going to have both, a 1 player sequel to quake 2 and an all
>>new
>>multiplayer
>
> A sequel to Quake 2??
>
> I'm sorry... Did Quake 2 have a storyline? I must have missed it.

More of a storyline than any other FPS around at the time.

Besides, it's still my favourite game of all time, so a sequel is highly
welcome :D

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:33:29 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
> wrote:
>>
>>In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
>>properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
>>up.)
>
> Heretic 2 used the Quake 1 engine.
>
> Games like Half Life 1 used a modified version of the Quake 2 engine.

It's the other way round - HL used an extremely modified version of the
original Quake engine, whereas Heretic II (and SiN, Kingpin, etc) used the
Quake II engine.

George M. Reagan wrote:

> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
>
> OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

Sorry about your luck.

--
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
nothing."--Edmund Burke

Gary wrote:

> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?
>
> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)
>
> Gary.

Quake 4
Wolfenstein 2
Elite force 3
CoD 2
Some new jedi sequel, title unknown at the moment.

--

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:49:35 -0500, James Riske wrote:

>> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>>
>> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
>>
>> OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

> Sorry about your luck.

That does look painful, doesn't it...? :)

Linux Registered User #327951

> As for Half Life Source... OMFG! Their wide open maps and graphics
> blow away anything out there. And you get great frame rates to boot.
> I definitely want to see more games using that engine.

Nobody really cares what you want to see.

.... and yet I still thought Doom 3 had better graphics than Half Life 2.

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:35:40 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>
>>What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>engine?
>>
>>Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :)
>>

> Considering you need a 3.2 P4 and a GF 6800 Ultra to get a steady 60
> FPS in room-size maps I don't think any company is going to invest big
> money in their game engine any time soon.
>
> Mabye in 3 or 4 years the Doomed 3 engine will come into fashion if it
> can do more than Doomed 3 did.
>
> As for Half Life Source... OMFG! Their wide open maps and graphics
> blow away anything out there. And you get great frame rates to boot.
> I definitely want to see more games using that engine.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Quake 4
Looking forward to this, but Decdember 2005? Man...

> Wolfenstein 2
Cool, when?

> Elite force 3
Not planned / scrapped due to some wierd legal issue I heard. I may be
wrong...Also, Raven made the previous SVEF, surely they wont be releasing it
until after Quake 4? So ages away if planned...

> CoD 2
Sweet, again when?

> Some new jedi sequel, title unknown at the moment.

Never played these games, any good?

Gary.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:31:21 -0500, "George M. Reagan"
<georgeunderscorereagan@hellmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Raymond,
> It does on my system.

It also works on mine, but I have to boot from my removable hard-drive. I
strongly suspect that there's some video codec is messing things up, as SiN
also crashes as soon as it tries to play a movie. Both are installed on the
removable, and I can still play them when I want - even if I have to reset
the computer.

Can't do it now, though. Have to restart my computer and plug the
hard-drive in first.