Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Doom Engine in other games...

Tags:
  • Engine
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 26, 2004 2:35:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?

Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 

Gary.

More about : doom engine games

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:35:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?
>
> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 

If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.

I hear Call of Duty 2 will be using the Doom3 enine.

-Mike
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 3:00:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:gyEpd.23409
> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
> engine?
>
> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>

Quake IV, the sequel to Quake II :D 

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
Related resources
November 26, 2004 3:13:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"EvilBill" <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:30okn3F32okmtU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:gyEpd.23409
>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>> engine?
>>
>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>
>
> Quake IV, the sequel to Quake II :D 



I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.

Anything before 2005?

Gary.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:32:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Gary wrote:

> I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.
>
> Anything before 2005?
>
> Gary.

I heard its going to have both, a 1 player sequel to quake 2 and an all new
multiplayer
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 9:35:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:6f25bef2.0411260824.74325932@posting.google.com...
> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
> news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>> engine?
>>
>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>
> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>
> I hear Call of Duty 2 will be using the Doom3 enine.
>
> -Mike

Drool....

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 10:40:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
news:h5Fpd.23424$up1.8912@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> "EvilBill" <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:30okn3F32okmtU1@uni-berlin.de...
>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:gyEpd.23409
>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>> engine?
>>>
>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>>
>>
>> Quake IV, the sequel to Quake II :D 
>
>
>
> I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.
>

It's not MP focused in the way Q3 was. It's the direct sequel to Quake II -
both in singleplayer storyline and multiplayer style, at least as far as I'm
aware.

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
November 27, 2004 2:43:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:6f25bef2.0411260824.74325932@posting.google.com...
> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
> news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>> engine?
>>
>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>
> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.


If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :) 

gary.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 2:33:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:

>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:6f25bef2.0411260824.74325932@posting.google.com...
>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>> news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>> engine?
>>>
>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>
>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>
>
>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :) 
>

In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
up.)
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 4:25:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:35:40 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:

>What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?
>
>Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>

Considering you need a 3.2 P4 and a GF 6800 Ultra to get a steady 60
FPS in room-size maps I don't think any company is going to invest big
money in their game engine any time soon.

Mabye in 3 or 4 years the Doomed 3 engine will come into fashion if it
can do more than Doomed 3 did.

As for Half Life Source... OMFG! Their wide open maps and graphics
blow away anything out there. And you get great frame rates to boot.
I definitely want to see more games using that engine.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 4:34:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:32:29 -0000, "DooM³d" <NOSPAM@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.
>>
>> Anything before 2005?
>>
>> Gary.
>
>I heard its going to have both, a 1 player sequel to quake 2 and an all new
>multiplayer

A sequel to Quake 2??

I'm sorry... Did Quake 2 have a storyline? I must have missed it.
Maybe they'll make a movie... :/ 
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 4:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On 26 Nov 2004 08:24:23 -0800, Mike359@gmail.com (Mike359) wrote:

>"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?
>>
>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>
>If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>
>I hear Call of Duty 2 will be using the Doom3 enine.

Yeah I hear WW2 was fought in little rooms with nazis with glowing
eyes popping out of the dark. Should make for a good sequal.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 4:42:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:35:04 GMT, "Cy Edmunds"
<cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:6f25bef2.0411260824.74325932@posting.google.com...
>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>> news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>> engine?
>>>
>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>
>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>>
>> I hear Call of Duty 2 will be using the Doom3 enine.
>>
>> -Mike
>
>Drool....

Yeah try not to drool over your GF 6800 ultra.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 4:44:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:33:29 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>
>>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:6f25bef2.0411260824.74325932@posting.google.com...
>>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>>> news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>>> engine?
>>>>
>>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>>
>>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>>
>>
>>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :) 
>>
>
>In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
>properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
>up.)

Heretic 2 used the Quake 1 engine.

Games like Half Life 1 used a modified version of the Quake 2 engine.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 10:31:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Hi Raymond,
It does on my system.

G.
"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
news:i1bhq011vmfp3569b4n130lakudgc2mrim@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>
>>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:6f25bef2.0411260824.74325932@posting.google.com...
>>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>>> news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>>> engine?
>>>>
>>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>>
>>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>>
>>
>>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :) 
>>
>
> In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
> properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
> up.)
>
>
>
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 10:36:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name SCRAPPLE

System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 04

System Model D7210B-ABA 7905

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 0 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~1594 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. 3.05, 8/28/2001

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

User Name SCRAPPLE\Owner

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 534.10 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.21 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

"George M. Reagan" <georgeunderscorereagan@hellmail.com> wrote in message
news:46KdnT9JmPvKgTTcRVn-2g@comcast.com...
> Hi Raymond,
> It does on my system.
>
> G.
> "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> news:i1bhq011vmfp3569b4n130lakudgc2mrim@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:6f25bef2.0411260824.74325932@posting.google.com...
>>>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>>>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>>>> engine?
>>>>>
>>>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>>>
>>>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>>>
>>>
>>>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :) 
>>>
>>
>> In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
>> properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
>> up.)
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:55:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:32:29 -0000, "DooM³d" <NOSPAM@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>I heard its going to have both, a 1 player sequel to quake 2 and an all
>>new
>>multiplayer
>
> A sequel to Quake 2??
>
> I'm sorry... Did Quake 2 have a storyline? I must have missed it.

More of a storyline than any other FPS around at the time.

Besides, it's still my favourite game of all time, so a sequel is highly
welcome :D 

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:56:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:33:29 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
> wrote:
>>
>>In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
>>properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
>>up.)
>
> Heretic 2 used the Quake 1 engine.
>
> Games like Half Life 1 used a modified version of the Quake 2 engine.
>

It's the other way round - HL used an extremely modified version of the
original Quake engine, whereas Heretic II (and SiN, Kingpin, etc) used the
Quake II engine.

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 3:49:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

George M. Reagan wrote:

> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
>
> OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation


Sorry about your luck.



--
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
nothing."--Edmund Burke
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 3:51:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Gary wrote:

> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom engine?
>
> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>
> Gary.
>
>


Quake 4
Wolfenstein 2
Elite force 3
CoD 2
Some new jedi sequel, title unknown at the moment.



--
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
nothing."--Edmund Burke
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 4:01:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:49:35 -0500, James Riske wrote:

>> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>>
>> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
>>
>> OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

> Sorry about your luck.

That does look painful, doesn't it...? :-)

--
If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Linux Registered User #327951
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 8:42:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

> As for Half Life Source... OMFG! Their wide open maps and graphics
> blow away anything out there. And you get great frame rates to boot.
> I definitely want to see more games using that engine.
>

Nobody really cares what you want to see.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 8:57:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

.... and yet I still thought Doom 3 had better graphics than Half Life 2.

"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
news:l6hhq0dg7bqpboebk8qc2bvu8uf5fbv2uu@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:35:40 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>
>>What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>engine?
>>
>>Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>
>
> Considering you need a 3.2 P4 and a GF 6800 Ultra to get a steady 60
> FPS in room-size maps I don't think any company is going to invest big
> money in their game engine any time soon.
>
> Mabye in 3 or 4 years the Doomed 3 engine will come into fashion if it
> can do more than Doomed 3 did.
>
> As for Half Life Source... OMFG! Their wide open maps and graphics
> blow away anything out there. And you get great frame rates to boot.
> I definitely want to see more games using that engine.
>
November 28, 2004 1:18:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

> Quake 4
Looking forward to this, but Decdember 2005? Man...


> Wolfenstein 2
Cool, when?


> Elite force 3
Not planned / scrapped due to some wierd legal issue I heard. I may be
wrong...Also, Raven made the previous SVEF, surely they wont be releasing it
until after Quake 4? So ages away if planned...


> CoD 2
Sweet, again when?


> Some new jedi sequel, title unknown at the moment.

Never played these games, any good?

Gary.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:20:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:31:21 -0500, "George M. Reagan"
<georgeunderscorereagan@hellmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Raymond,
> It does on my system.

It also works on mine, but I have to boot from my removable hard-drive. I
strongly suspect that there's some video codec is messing things up, as SiN
also crashes as soon as it tries to play a movie. Both are installed on the
removable, and I can still play them when I want - even if I have to reset
the computer.

Can't do it now, though. Have to restart my computer and plug the
hard-drive in first.

>
>G.
>"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
>news:i1bhq011vmfp3569b4n130lakudgc2mrim@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Mike359" <Mike359@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:6f25bef2.0411260824.74325932@posting.google.com...
>>>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:<gyEpd.23409$up1.11241@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
>>>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>>>> engine?
>>>>>
>>>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>>>
>>>> If your talking about the Doom Engine then theres a game called Hertic.
>>>
>>>
>>>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :) 
>>>
>>
>> In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
>> properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
>> up.)
>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:23:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:44:59 -0500, count zero <mememe@me2.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:33:29 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :) 
>>>
>>
>>In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
>>properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
>>up.)
>
>Heretic 2 used the Quake 1 engine.

You have it backwards. Heretic 2 was the one to use the Quake 2 engine,
alongside the various other games such as SiN. You can tell because some
of the special effects are built more nativly to the engine, because of the
higher smoothness of the models in the game, and because the game uses the
new nomenclature for filenames.

>Games like Half Life 1 used a modified version of the Quake 2 engine.

Half-Life 1 was primairly based around the Quake engine, even though it was
heavily modified. You can tell because the poly count for some surfaces
still seems to be a little low and/or flat, while the models and other
effects have been improved on. In addition, Half-Life seems to have cases
where you can get snagged on the world without explaination (e.g. some
custom maps), which is most easily done in Quake 1 style of worlds.

HL also uses the old nomenclature.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:45:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:31:34 -0500, count zero <mememe@me2.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:13:01 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>
>>"EvilBill" <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>news:30okn3F32okmtU1@uni-berlin.de...
>>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:gyEpd.23409
>>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>>> engine?
>>>>
>>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>>>
>>>
>>> Quake IV, the sequel to Quake II :D 
>>
>>
>>
>>I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.
>
>Jesus, why don't they just try something new.

They are. JC stated in one of his plans that he is not going to make
another First Person Shooter and try to make a game that is innovative.

>And here's a clue: have weapons that have alt-fire!
>
>What bug does Carmack have up his ass that he refuses to incorporate
>that in all his games.

That would make the game a cheap plastic imitation of Unreal (or Dark
Forces, since LucasArts came out with that first).

Besides, why should weapons have to be mechanically complex enough to
support two different methods of launching whatever at a target? Besides,
the Right-mouse button can easily be set to something a bit more important,
such as Sprint, jump, open, or any other useful function.

If you want to have different firing modes (e.g. scope on or off), then
assign it to a different button such as 'z', 'f', 'x', or something easily
reached. Deus Ex does this fine, and whatever next FPS comes out can do it
the same way.

>BTW, he should fire his sister.

That would be difficult, since his sister doesn't work for iD Software. If
you're talking about Adrian Carmack then you should call her by name rather
than referring her as John's relative - mainly because she is unrelated.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 4:27:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:RBhqd.24685
>
>> Elite force 3
> Not planned / scrapped due to some wierd legal issue I heard. I may be
> wrong...Also, Raven made the previous SVEF, surely they wont be releasing
> it until after Quake 4? So ages away if planned...
>

Ritual made the second one; Raven passed the torch. <g>

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:04:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

His sister, Hahaha! What a dumb ass.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:42:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:55:09 -0000, "EvilBill"
<devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:32:29 -0000, "DooM³d" <NOSPAM@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>I heard its going to have both, a 1 player sequel to quake 2 and an all
>>>new
>>>multiplayer
>>
>> A sequel to Quake 2??
>>
>> I'm sorry... Did Quake 2 have a storyline? I must have missed it.
>
>More of a storyline than any other FPS around at the time.

No way! Duke Nukem 3D had the best storyline with its plot to kick all
the alien butts who were trying to steal the earth chicks!

Now that would make a great movie!

>Besides, it's still my favourite game of all time, so a sequel is highly
>welcome :D 

ID should expand its horizons and come up with something new. But
since they are making the big bucks and a movie the way they rehash
the same old same old, I guess I really can't blame them.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:49:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:45:47 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:31:34 -0500, count zero <mememe@me2.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:13:01 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"EvilBill" <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>news:30okn3F32okmtU1@uni-berlin.de...
>>>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:gyEpd.23409
>>>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>>>> engine?
>>>>>
>>>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Quake IV, the sequel to Quake II :D 
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.
>>
>>Jesus, why don't they just try something new.
>
>They are. JC stated in one of his plans that he is not going to make
>another First Person Shooter and try to make a game that is innovative.

How about making a FPSs that is innovative?

>>And here's a clue: have weapons that have alt-fire!
>>
>>What bug does Carmack have up his ass that he refuses to incorporate
>>that in all his games.
>
>That would make the game a cheap plastic imitation of Unreal (or Dark
>Forces, since LucasArts came out with that first).
>
>Besides, why should weapons have to be mechanically complex enough to
>support two different methods of launching whatever at a target? Besides,
>the Right-mouse button can easily be set to something a bit more important,
>such as Sprint, jump, open, or any other useful function.

Use Mouse 4 for duck and Mouse 5 for sprint. Then F or E for use.
Works good for me.

But if you're talking about realism, obviously people aren't able to
pull out weapons from their bag as fast as in a FPS or reload them.
Not to mention all the weight.

>If you want to have different firing modes (e.g. scope on or off), then
>assign it to a different button such as 'z', 'f', 'x', or something easily
>reached. Deus Ex does this fine, and whatever next FPS comes out can do it
>the same way.

Alt-fire is more fun.

>>BTW, he should fire his sister.
>
>That would be difficult, since his sister doesn't work for iD Software. If
>you're talking about Adrian Carmack then you should call her by name rather
>than referring her as John's relative - mainly because she is unrelated.

Nonsense.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:53:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:56:59 -0000, "EvilBill"
<devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:33:29 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
>>>properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
>>>up.)
>>
>> Heretic 2 used the Quake 1 engine.
>>
>> Games like Half Life 1 used a modified version of the Quake 2 engine.
>>
>
>It's the other way round - HL used an extremely modified version of the
>original Quake engine, whereas Heretic II (and SiN, Kingpin, etc) used the
>Quake II engine.

Huh, HL1 did use the Quake 1 engine, but it was so modified it was
more functional than the Quake 2 engine. I thought it used the Quake 2
engine since it came out a year after Quake 2.

Heretic 2 came out soon after Quake 1 and it didn't have any engine
modifications.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:56:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:23:38 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:44:59 -0500, count zero <mememe@me2.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:33:29 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:43:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>If your talking about Heretic, it uses the Doom engine :) 
>>>>
>>>
>>>In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
>>>properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes it
>>>up.)
>>
>>Heretic 2 used the Quake 1 engine.
>
>You have it backwards. Heretic 2 was the one to use the Quake 2 engine,
>alongside the various other games such as SiN. You can tell because some
>of the special effects are built more nativly to the engine, because of the
>higher smoothness of the models in the game, and because the game uses the
>new nomenclature for filenames.
>
>>Games like Half Life 1 used a modified version of the Quake 2 engine.
>
>Half-Life 1 was primairly based around the Quake engine, even though it was
>heavily modified. You can tell because the poly count for some surfaces
>still seems to be a little low and/or flat, while the models and other
>effects have been improved on. In addition, Half-Life seems to have cases
>where you can get snagged on the world without explaination (e.g. some
>custom maps), which is most easily done in Quake 1 style of worlds.
>
>HL also uses the old nomenclature.

In any case the HL1 engine was more advanced than the Quake 2 engine.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:02:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:57:56 -0000, "Quietman" <quietman1968 at
hotmail dot com> wrote:

>... and yet I still thought Doom 3 had better graphics than Half Life 2.

The human character models and their bump-mapped skins were better in
D3 than HL2. Although I think HL2 had more facial expressions.

But the water effects in HL2 were amazing, and the physics as well.
Not to mention the wide open maps.

The problem with the D3 engine is that it is too far ahead of its
time.

>"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
>news:l6hhq0dg7bqpboebk8qc2bvu8uf5fbv2uu@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:35:40 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>>engine?
>>>
>>>Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>>
>>
>> Considering you need a 3.2 P4 and a GF 6800 Ultra to get a steady 60
>> FPS in room-size maps I don't think any company is going to invest big
>> money in their game engine any time soon.
>>
>> Mabye in 3 or 4 years the Doomed 3 engine will come into fashion if it
>> can do more than Doomed 3 did.
>>
>> As for Half Life Source... OMFG! Their wide open maps and graphics
>> blow away anything out there. And you get great frame rates to boot.
>> I definitely want to see more games using that engine.
>>
>
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:03:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:42:39 -0800, "OscartheGrouch"
<tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>
>> As for Half Life Source... OMFG! Their wide open maps and graphics
>> blow away anything out there. And you get great frame rates to boot.
>> I definitely want to see more games using that engine.
>>
>
>Nobody really cares what you want to see.

This coming from a Sesame Street fan??

Either you're 8 years old, or pathetic.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:03:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
news:mpdoq09eqere31ik00pohmj7h8tl5qo9m2@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:42:39 -0800, "OscartheGrouch"
> <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>> As for Half Life Source... OMFG! Their wide open maps and graphics
>>> blow away anything out there. And you get great frame rates to boot.
>>> I definitely want to see more games using that engine.
>>>
>>
>>Nobody really cares what you want to see.
>
> This coming from a Sesame Street fan??
>
> Either you're 8 years old, or pathetic.
>
>

This coming from someone who called Adrian Carmack John Carmack's sister.
They're not related dippy. And yeah, either I'm 8, or pathetic, or you are
just a retarded troll. Off to bed with you youngster.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Nonsense about them not being related?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/42/42470.html

--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
news:4mcoq0lqp8hv50crajpm9p7ft03bo6fcbc@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:45:47 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:31:34 -0500, count zero <mememe@me2.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:13:01 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>"EvilBill" <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>>news:30okn3F32okmtU1@uni-berlin.de...
>>>>> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:gyEpd.23409
>>>>>> What's coming out fairly soon which will take advantage of the doom
>>>>>> engine?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Would like to play some wicked looking ggames :) 
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Quake IV, the sequel to Quake II :D 
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>I heard Quake 4 is going to be MP focused...maybe I am wrong.
>>>
>>>Jesus, why don't they just try something new.
>>
>>They are. JC stated in one of his plans that he is not going to make
>>another First Person Shooter and try to make a game that is innovative.
>
> How about making a FPSs that is innovative?
>
>>>And here's a clue: have weapons that have alt-fire!
>>>
>>>What bug does Carmack have up his ass that he refuses to incorporate
>>>that in all his games.
>>
>>That would make the game a cheap plastic imitation of Unreal (or Dark
>>Forces, since LucasArts came out with that first).
>>
>>Besides, why should weapons have to be mechanically complex enough to
>>support two different methods of launching whatever at a target? Besides,
>>the Right-mouse button can easily be set to something a bit more
>>important,
>>such as Sprint, jump, open, or any other useful function.
>
> Use Mouse 4 for duck and Mouse 5 for sprint. Then F or E for use.
> Works good for me.
>
> But if you're talking about realism, obviously people aren't able to
> pull out weapons from their bag as fast as in a FPS or reload them.
> Not to mention all the weight.
>
>>If you want to have different firing modes (e.g. scope on or off), then
>>assign it to a different button such as 'z', 'f', 'x', or something easily
>>reached. Deus Ex does this fine, and whatever next FPS comes out can do
>>it
>>the same way.
>
> Alt-fire is more fun.
>
>>>BTW, he should fire his sister.
>>
>>That would be difficult, since his sister doesn't work for iD Software.
>>If
>>you're talking about Adrian Carmack then you should call her by name
>>rather
>>than referring her as John's relative - mainly because she is unrelated.
>
> Nonsense.
>
December 1, 2004 8:11:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:52doq05lh8t6a8cvt03emeo1mejql2g5v9@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:56:59 -0000, "EvilBill"
> <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
> >> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:33:29 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
> >> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>In the meantime, it's sequel uses the Quake II engine, and can't run
> >>>properly on XP. (Base XP works fine, but some unknown upgrade messes
it
> >>>up.)
> >>
> >> Heretic 2 used the Quake 1 engine.
> >>
> >> Games like Half Life 1 used a modified version of the Quake 2 engine.
> >>
> >
> >It's the other way round - HL used an extremely modified version of the
> >original Quake engine, whereas Heretic II (and SiN, Kingpin, etc) used
the
> >Quake II engine.
>
> Huh, HL1 did use the Quake 1 engine, but it was so modified it was
> more functional than the Quake 2 engine. I thought it used the Quake 2
> engine since it came out a year after Quake 2.
>
> Heretic 2 came out soon after Quake 1 and it didn't have any engine
> modifications.
>


Don't confuse Heretic 2 with Hexen 2 :) 

Both are from Raven Software.
Hexen 2 is the one that came out in early 1997, it is based on the Quake 1
engine. It is also a link between Quake 1 and Quake 2.
Since Raven always played something like a sidekick role for iD, they were
also heavily supported by them.
So they got code from John Carmack he was developing right then for Quake 2
which would be published in December 1997.
Things like glass, breakable brushes and brush animations.
Hexen 2 still looks and feels a lot like Quake 1 tho.

Heretic 2 came out 1998, the same year as HL 1 and Unreal 1. It is
completely based on the Quake 2 engine.
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 11:30:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"count zero" <mememe@me2.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:55:09 -0000, "EvilBill"
> <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Besides, it's still my favourite game of all time, so a sequel is highly
>>welcome :D 
>
> ID should expand its horizons and come up with something new. But
> since they are making the big bucks and a movie the way they rehash
> the same old same old, I guess I really can't blame them.
>

id aren't making Quake 4 anyway. Raven are.

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
!