Sign in with
Your question

help with disabling on-board graphics

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2005 4:03:24 AM

Can anyone help me with disabling an on-board graphic card. I want to replace it with an AGP graphic card.

My motherboard is an MSI ms-6390. I want to replace it with Nvidia GeForce 4 mx440.

Ive tried just inserting the graphics card, hooking the monitor to it and just booting it up. The monitor stays blank. When the monitor is connected to the on-board graphics, the monitor stays blank.

Ive tried looking in the bios but there is no option to disable the on-board graphics. There is an option to change the amount of shared memory that the on-board graphics receives which includes disable. Tried this but the screen gets filled with coloured blocks.

Could somebody please help me?!

My system specs:
MSI MS-6390 ver 1
Athlon XP 1800
512 MB DDR RAM
Windows XP SP2
March 28, 2005 5:20:57 AM

I don't know a whole lot about your MB, but in the Integrated Peripherals section of your BIOS, there is a selection called Init Display First. Have you tried changing that to AGP? Don't really know if that will help, but it's worth a shot.
March 28, 2005 5:27:44 AM

yes i've tried that. It didnt seem to do anything different im afraid, but thanks.
Related resources
March 28, 2005 5:39:32 AM

Ok see if this works. Take the gfx card out. Start windows. Go into device manager, display adapters and disable your onboard adapter there. Turn off your pc and put the gfx card and then start up. Make sure that your monitor is pluged into the gfx card and not the onboard one. Windows should then detect your new gfx card and you’ll be on your way.
March 28, 2005 5:44:39 AM

i tried that too, but that didnt work either. When it was disabled and it was connected to the AGP card, the monitor was still in stand by, and none of the bios boot up was displayed. i.... uh..im stumped.
March 28, 2005 5:50:57 AM

Have you tried removing the onboard display in device manager than restarting with the new gfx card in?
March 28, 2005 5:59:31 AM

yeah thats what i've tried, the monitor just doesnt display anything. like nothing is coming through.
March 28, 2005 1:29:01 PM

Either the video card is defective or the PSU not strong enough to power the video card.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MSI BOARD !!!
!