Early Benchmarks: iPad > iPhone 4 > iPhone 3GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Must be hard up for page hits![/citation]
Indeed. But at least thez don't FUD for a while.

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
If you guys need help testing any of those things just let me know and I'll send you my address...what can I say I woke up feeling like a team player today.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I was wondering about speed for the same reasons. Apple likes to play with numbers on the "Retina Display" as that makes for effective marketing, but obviously a lower GHz number (albeit equally meaningless on different OS) wouldn't make people "ooh and aah". Thanks for the post, helps putting things into perspective.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]So it may be 750Mhz just makes my 1GHz android phone all the better[/citation]
As a TG reader, you should know very well that clock speed is not the only deciding factor.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Maziar[/nom]to pocketdrummer ARM is the CPU(A4 chip) and PowerVR SGX is the Graphic chip of iPhone 4.[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]"It's nice little ARM and PowerVR combo chip that works quite well the iOS."What?[/citation]

I think he knows that, and was just commenting on the grammer that was used in the sentence.

G

I suppose a more accurate title just doesn't fit into the character limit for TH's articles. Here is what it should have been:

HTC Evo > HTC Incredible > Droid > cake > smoke signals > Morse Code > iPad > iPhone 4 > iPhone 3GS > tin cans connected by string

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I wouldn't consider those benchmarks all that accurate. Also considering that the iPad has half the ram of the iPhone 4, and both use the same A4 Processor (clock speed unknown), and same PowerVR SGX GPU (rendering less pixels on the iPhone).

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]As a TG reader, you should know very well that clock speed is not the only deciding factor.[/citation]

it does if thats the only difference. now while apple has tweaked the chip, including cpu cache and memory bandwidth, ALL these smart phones use pretty much exactly the same gpu and cpu combo.

question: WHAT IS GAME PERFORMANCE LIKE? I remember a little something from the PC world... umm... oh yeah, when you take the same GPU,(its the same as the one in the 3GS) and quadrupedal the number of pixels it has to paint, you better have one hell of an overclock up your sleeves!

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
The difference between other phones and the iPhone is that the a4 has the cpu and gpu on one chip. Making it more efficient and also giving it the potential to run faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.