Multi Monitor config

shoeless

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2005
Unlike most, my interest is not in 3d performance or max framerates, what I need to do is drive 4 19" LCD monitors that I use in my Futures Trading business. (with the ability to expand to 6 monitors) I still want good performance and want to limit CPU overhead as much as possible. So, would a PCIe motherboard like the ASUS A8N be a good choice and would I get good results by using two PCI express video cards but NOT in SLI mode. Is it even possible to do this? Could these two cards drive my 4 monitors with good performance? Any other ideas? There is always the Matrox G450 MMS PCI card which will drive 4 monitors by itself, but I'm wondering if there are better solutions. If my idea is valid, can you recommend some video cards that would work well in my situation. Your help is greatly appreciated! shoeless

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I have an Asus p4c800 with a 6600GT card. I played around with dual monitors for a little bit. It worked just fine, but of course, realize you are dividing the cards abilities between the two monitors-ie, each monitor only has half of the cards abilities. For you purposes, it should be just fine.

The Asus A8n is a good board and two cards gives you 4 monitors. Fore more you would need a third card-pci.

You will need to be using windows xp pro version to do this.

This post would prob get more response in the Graphics Card forum...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
MSI offers an nForce4 board with a PCIe x16 slot and a PCIe x4 slot with an open end. The open end allows x16 cards to be installed and function as x4 cards.

The advantages are simple: No need to configure the mode of the board, and you get by with a cheaper non-SLI chipset.

x4 is a faster interface than what you need anyway.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>