Adelphia Cable Modem and Airlink+ Wireless Router

I am trying to get my router to connect throught the Adelphia Cable
Modem. Adelphia says they dont support it, so the only help they
offered was that I need to use DHCP.

I had my Airlink+ do a test, which apparently started by trying to
contact the DHCP server. This failed.

That sounds pretty basic, so I think I am going in the wrong
direction.

Has anyone accomplished setting up a wireless router with Adelphia
Cable Modem? What do I need to do? (Maybe my router won't work and I
need something else.)

Thanks,
Jim Beasley
2 answers Last reply
More about adelphia cable modem airlink wireless router

    On 26 Oct 2004 22:23:04 -0700, Jim Beasley wrote:

    > I am trying to get my router to connect throught the Adelphia Cable
    > Modem. Adelphia says they dont support it, so the only help they
    > offered was that I need to use DHCP.
    >
    > I had my Airlink+ do a test, which apparently started by trying to
    > contact the DHCP server. This failed.
    >
    > That sounds pretty basic, so I think I am going in the wrong
    > direction.
    >
    > Has anyone accomplished setting up a wireless router with Adelphia
    > Cable Modem? What do I need to do? (Maybe my router won't work and I
    > need something else.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim Beasley

    http://www.airlinkplus.com/faq.htm
    See Q&A # 6

    The usual problem I have found is that users are not following
    the router instructions to start the process by turning
    everything off (modem, PC and router).

    If after following the instructions in Q&A #6, you still have a
    problem, then turn off the power to the cable modem for 10
    seconds and then turn it back on.

    On 26 Oct 2004 22:23:04 -0700, jimbeasley@earthlink.net (Jim Beasley)
    wrote:

    >I am trying to get my router to connect throught the Adelphia Cable
    >Modem.

    Which make and model? Adelphia doesn't manufacture cable modems.
    http://www.adelphia.com/high_speed_internet/modems.cfm

    >Adelphia says they dont support it, so the only help they
    >offered was that I need to use DHCP.

    Let's see if I understand this. Adelphia sold you a modem and then
    claims they won't support it? Perhaps you're referring to the
    wireless router?

    >I had my Airlink+ do a test, which apparently started by trying to
    >contact the DHCP server. This failed.

    Did you "clone" the PC's MAC address into the router? There should be
    a page somewhere in the wireless router that offers to either clone
    the MAC address or more crudely, inscribe it manually. That's fairly
    standard for todays routers.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html
    http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/3320171

    >That sounds pretty basic, so I think I am going in the wrong
    >direction.
    >
    >Has anyone accomplished setting up a wireless router with Adelphia
    >Cable Modem? What do I need to do? (Maybe my router won't work and I
    >need something else.)

    How about a clue if the system works without the router? Just plug
    your PC into the modem and see if that works. If so, don't make sure
    you have a personal firewall (XP SP2 firewall, ZoneAlarm, Norton
    Firewall, Kerio, etc) installed before browsing or you'll get attacked
    by hackers via the internet. Once it's working with a PC, then try it
    with the wireless router.

    Also, did you go through the self-activation ordeal?
    http://www.adelphia.com/high_speed_internet/self_activation.cfm

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Wireless Router Modem Wireless Networking