Adelphia Cable Modem and Airlink+ Wireless Router

I am trying to get my router to connect throught the Adelphia Cable
Modem. Adelphia says they dont support it, so the only help they
offered was that I need to use DHCP.

I had my Airlink+ do a test, which apparently started by trying to
contact the DHCP server. This failed.

That sounds pretty basic, so I think I am going in the wrong
direction.

Has anyone accomplished setting up a wireless router with Adelphia
Cable Modem? What do I need to do? (Maybe my router won't work and I
need something else.)

Thanks,
Jim Beasley

Alan

On 26 Oct 2004 22:23:04 -0700, Jim Beasley wrote:

> I am trying to get my router to connect throught the Adelphia Cable
> Modem. Adelphia says they dont support it, so the only help they
> offered was that I need to use DHCP.
>
> I had my Airlink+ do a test, which apparently started by trying to
> contact the DHCP server. This failed.
>
> That sounds pretty basic, so I think I am going in the wrong
> direction.
>
> Has anyone accomplished setting up a wireless router with Adelphia
> Cable Modem? What do I need to do? (Maybe my router won't work and I
> need something else.)
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Beasley

http://www.airlinkplus.com/faq.htm
See Q&A # 6

The usual problem I have found is that users are not following
the router instructions to start the process by turning
everything off (modem, PC and router).

If after following the instructions in Q&A #6, you still have a
problem, then turn off the power to the cable modem for 10
seconds and then turn it back on.

On 26 Oct 2004 22:23:04 -0700, jimbeasley@earthlink.net (Jim Beasley)
wrote:

>I am trying to get my router to connect throught the Adelphia Cable
>Modem.

Which make and model? Adelphia doesn't manufacture cable modems.
http://www.adelphia.com/high_speed_internet/modems.cfm

>Adelphia says they dont support it, so the only help they
>offered was that I need to use DHCP.

Let's see if I understand this. Adelphia sold you a modem and then
claims they won't support it? Perhaps you're referring to the
wireless router?

>I had my Airlink+ do a test, which apparently started by trying to
>contact the DHCP server. This failed.

Did you "clone" the PC's MAC address into the router? There should be
a page somewhere in the wireless router that offers to either clone
the MAC address or more crudely, inscribe it manually. That's fairly
standard for todays routers.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html
http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/3320171

>That sounds pretty basic, so I think I am going in the wrong
>direction.
>
>Has anyone accomplished setting up a wireless router with Adelphia
>Cable Modem? What do I need to do? (Maybe my router won't work and I
>need something else.)

How about a clue if the system works without the router? Just plug
your PC into the modem and see if that works. If so, don't make sure
you have a personal firewall (XP SP2 firewall, ZoneAlarm, Norton
Firewall, Kerio, etc) installed before browsing or you'll get attacked
by hackers via the internet. Once it's working with a PC, then try it
with the wireless router.

Also, did you go through the self-activation ordeal?
http://www.adelphia.com/high_speed_internet/self_activation.cfm

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

TRENDING THREADS