Sign in with
Your question

Chipset Driver conflict with Graphics Driver!?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Chipsets
Last response: in Motherboards
April 3, 2005 7:23:22 AM

I'm about at wits end with this one! I have a Gigabyte k8ns pro motherboard with a socket 754 amd 64 3200+ and a BFG 6800 GT OC video card. Long story short...after putting the card into my computer whenever I tried to run hl2 or 3dmark 2005 I would get about a second or two of game and then the screen would freeze for about 5+ seconds or so and repeat this process. I've tried various different drivers for both my chipset mobo and video card and a few times i've got it to work quite well. I thought i'd try a different video driver to improve my 3d mark score and after that I haven't had much luck getting it to work right. The ONLY way i've got things to go back to normal is by uninstalling the mobo chipset drivers, does this pose any problem with the flow of the cpu to operate? Has anyone else had a problem like this???

Thanks.

More about : chipset driver conflict graphics driver

April 3, 2005 12:31:28 PM

List your system specs - including PSU.
Do you have to reboot the system, does it auto reboot or does it just freeze and then startup again? Will it run 3DMark01 or 03? Does it freeze any other time?

What are your temps (system and CPU)? What are your voltages on your 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails?

April 3, 2005 2:24:28 PM

Back up. Did the card work correctly after you installed it the first time? When you have changed drivers are you removing the old driver before installing the new one?

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU
April 3, 2005 2:29:38 PM

Great point! With that rig he's going to need some serious juice...if it's not drivers, then the PSU is my guess.

April 4, 2005 4:31:42 AM

The chipset drivers include the gart driver, I think. That would mean you were running in PCI mode for graphics. Sounds like a graphics card problem. Do you have an extra power plug for your graphics card?
Have you loaded SP2?
Do you have the lattest directx loaded?
April 4, 2005 3:28:35 PM

if you look in the graphics card forum, lots of mentions of incompatability with 6800s and nforce 3 boards. Don't run eithe rmyself, so take that for what it's worth.
April 4, 2005 3:54:22 PM

Thsoe are primarily issues with the GART drivers, nF3 chipsets and an OC'd 6800...

April 5, 2005 2:12:29 PM

He's running a BFG 6800 GT OC, an nforce 3 chipset, and said he has trouble when he isntalls the motherboard drivers. So which of those doesn't match up with your list there? :) 
April 5, 2005 2:22:10 PM

Just that BFG guarantees their boards to run stable/error free at those speeds.

April 5, 2005 5:47:09 PM

Yeah, but fact board is stable doesn't mean anything if it's a driver conflict, etc.
April 5, 2005 5:57:13 PM

True, but with a retail OC, you would figure that testing would occur...

April 5, 2005 8:35:28 PM

ASS u me.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
April 5, 2005 9:53:45 PM

I never said assume! They're a reputable company. If they're selling/guaranteeing a card that is over stock settings, then you know they've tested the thing at those speeds on multiple/likely platforms. I'm not saying that it is impossible to have the GART/nF3 issues with the BFG OC, but less likely than a card that is bought stock and then OCed by an individual.

April 8, 2005 6:01:31 PM

Well I had my system running pretty good with the nforce 6.39 drivers (guess they're for the nforce 4 chipset, but ppl have had success with them on nforce 3 chips) and the 76.10 video drivers. I was running 3dmark03 and noticed that my cpu score was only like 163 when everyone else (in my compy range) was 700-800+. Someone on the futuremark.com boards suggested I ensure I had my chipset drivers installed and I figured since I had beta chipset drivers installed i'd try actual windows verifed drivers. So I installed nforce 5.10 drivers (with the 76.10 video drivers still installed) and of course now i'm getting that video lag back again. Kinda at my wits end with this, but if push comes to shove i'll have to reinstall the 6.39 drivers again and take my loss with the cpu hit i'm getting in 3dmark03. Do I dare try to underclock this card to maybe what a standard 6800 gt should be? No I do not have sp 2 installed only sp 1 and yes I do have a power cord to my video card, I also have the latest direct x ver. 9.c
April 8, 2005 9:18:52 PM

I'd say follow Wusy's instructions above for updating the drivers. Contat BFG and see what they have to say about the GART/nForce driver issue with OC'ed 6800 cards. Maybe they didn't test it sufciently and they are having issues with that combo. They may even have a fix for their card...you'll never know until you ask the question. Keep us informed about what BFG says - it will be interesting to get their take on the issue.

April 8, 2005 9:35:41 PM

Ok, i'll check it out right now, thanks for the info. Keep you posted on what I find out.
April 8, 2005 9:49:50 PM

Good luck! :wink:

April 8, 2005 11:31:42 PM

Ok, didn't find any info on either bfg or nvidia's website about this. I ended up putting my original chipset drivers (that came w/mobo) on my computer. And installed the 71.90 and a few other video drivers but still had trouble. I called bfg's customer support number and while I was on hold I was messing around in the video options and unselected the write combining option. I tried benchmarking it and I have no problems what-so-ever now! That was all I had to do, lol. Before with nforce 4 chipset I had installed (must have been for pci-e config) because it said my bus was pci-0 instead of agp 8x. But regardless the write combining was what was messing me up. So I guess bottom line to those that have a nforce 3 chipset and a bfg 6800 series oc, DISABLE YOUR WRITE COMBINE! Thanks to all who tried to help!!
!