What a silly way to run a business ....

So I have an AC family share plan from two years ago. It
is the $40 first line/$20 second for 400 minutes with
unlimited n+w and 1000 m2m.

I wanted to give Verizon another $10 per month to increase
it to 500 minutes, but they claim there is no way of
doing that without extending my contract (due to expire in
January 2005) for a year (ie expire August 2005).

Why would they refuse to take more of my money? All it
is doing is encouraging me to use my landline more.
(I could understand them being iffy to take less of my
money ...)

Roger

Because they can do what they want since they have the best celluar network
around. Why would they keep your original plan when you will eventually
renew your contract with them anyway? Trust me pal, they could care less on
what you want.

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> So I have an AC family share plan from two years ago. It
> is the $40 first line/$20 second for 400 minutes with
> unlimited n+w and 1000 m2m.
>
> I wanted to give Verizon another $10 per month to increase
> it to 500 minutes, but they claim there is no way of
> doing that without extending my contract (due to expire in
> January 2005) for a year (ie expire August 2005).
>
> Why would they refuse to take more of my money? All it
> is doing is encouraging me to use my landline more.
> (I could understand them being iffy to take less of my
> money ...)
>
> Roger

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> So I have an AC family share plan from two years ago. It
> is the $40 first line/$20 second for 400 minutes with
> unlimited n+w and 1000 m2m.
>
> I wanted to give Verizon another $10 per month to increase
> it to 500 minutes, but they claim there is no way of
> doing that without extending my contract (due to expire in
> January 2005) for a year (ie expire August 2005).
>
> Why would they refuse to take more of my money? All it
> is doing is encouraging me to use my landline more.
> (I could understand them being iffy to take less of my
> money ...)
>
> Roger

I would guess that it has something to do with the old promos that are no
longer available. (no more 1000 m2m, it is unlimited in-network and (was or)
between shared lines, was just between shared lines, but they have a new
promo where all lines on a shared plan get unlimited in-network), and for
some strange reason, anytime you mess with in-network, you change the
contract date.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> So I have an AC family share plan from two years ago. It
> is the $40 first line/$20 second for 400 minutes with
> unlimited n+w and 1000 m2m.
>
> I wanted to give Verizon another $10 per month to increase
> it to 500 minutes, but they claim there is no way of
> doing that without extending my contract (due to expire in
> January 2005) for a year (ie expire August 2005).
>
> Why would they refuse to take more of my money? All it
> is doing is encouraging me to use my landline more.
> (I could understand them being iffy to take less of my
> money ...)
>
> Roger

That is my pet peeve about all wireless companies. I can certainly
understand why they apply it in a subsidy situation (eg you get a phone at a
discounted price). But I don't think there is any other line of business
that can get away with requiring a contract extension because you want to
change the purchase quantity.

George wrote:

> That is my pet peeve about all wireless companies. I can certainly
> understand why they apply it in a subsidy situation (eg you get a phone at a
> discounted price). But I don't think there is any other line of business
> that can get away with requiring a contract extension because you want to
> change the purchase quantity.

I suspect that had he not had the NW/1000 Mobile to Mobile promotion, no one
would have asked for a contract extension. Verizon's policy is clear on that.
Normally they will not require a contract extension if you just up the number
of minutes.

On the other hand, I do wonder why it was done on this case? If the NW/M2M
minutes were on one shared phone and not the other, increasing the monthly
airtime allotment wouldn't require putting the promotional package on the other
phone, would it?

Steve Sobol wrote:
> On the other hand, I do wonder why it was done on this case? If the
> NW/M2M minutes were on one shared phone and not the other, increasing
> the monthly airtime allotment wouldn't require putting the
> promotional package on the other phone, would it?

The 400 peak minutes and 1000 m2m are shared by both phones.

In my particular case their current plans are already a better
deal (unlimited m2m).

The strange thing is that I want to give them *more* money. I would
expect them to be happy to take more money, and have all sorts of
silly issues when you want to reduce the amount of money you
give them, but not to increase.

Oh well, their loss.

Roger