Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I think I may have killed my mobo- but I am hoping not! I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. I changed the cpu (from my old Athlon XP 2400 to an Athlon mobile 2500+) Now, I can't get the computer to post- I get an error of "System failed memory test" and it shuts down. The memory is new Corsair TwinX 3200, and I had installed it last week and it was running with absolutely no problems.
Just to make sure the memory was OK, I tried re-installing my old memory (which I know is good) and got the same error message. I did also clear the CMOS in between changing memory sticks, but it did not help. (I only changed the jumper and removed the battery for 10 or 20 seconds- was that enough time to clear the CMOS?)
I did have a hard time removing my Vantec heat sink/fan, and wonder if the force I had to use to get the hold-down clip off might have damaged the mobo in such a way as to make the memory unreadable. The Asus support website is (as usual) no help, so my only hope is with you guys! Any suggestions?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jonlandy on 04/04/05 10:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Some desktop mobos don't play well with mobile chips - chances are a BIOS update will fix the problem.

Goto your manufactures website, and find your self a BIOS update!

Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I do have the most recent BIOS (v 1008) available from the Asus website. Do I need to reflash? I mean- I can't even get it to post. I hope not- I don't think I have a boot disc?!

(I only changed the jumper and removed the battery for 10 or 20 seconds- was that enough time to clear the CMOS?)
Are you sure the memory is seated properly? Did you change the jumper back to original setting when done? You only need to do one or the other. Try removing the battery for 5 mins - 10-20 secs is not long enough. Will the system POST - where is it stopping in the boot process? Do you have a Memtest86 disk?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If your using two sticks, try one.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

:/ Then I've heard conflicting info. I guess that's not too uncommon of an occurence, though. It won't hurt to leave it out for longer.

Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I did try the memory sticks in all combinations of slots- 1 and 3, 2 and 3, 1,2,and 3 with a single stick. No help. The system is in the process of posting (I think) when it shuts down. I do get the "post reporter" pre-recorded voice message of "System failed memory test" and then it immediately shuts down. I even tried re-installing my old CPU- same result. Does the heatsink/fan have to be clamped onto the cpu for the system to post? I have connected the fan to the mobo (and it runs) but I didn't want to re-clamp it to the cpu (in case my using force to remove it was the cause of my problems).
Is there any sense in trying to create a boot disk and re-flashing the bios? I'm not exactly sure on how to do that, but I will scour the forums for instructions.

Does the heatsink/fan have to be clamped onto the cpu for the system to post? I have connected the fan to the mobo (and it runs) but I didn't want to re-clamp it to the cpu (in case my using force to remove it was the cause of my problems).
If the HSF does not have proper contact with the CPU, then the system will shut down shortly after you start it up - it will overheat.

So...the system was running stably last week. This week you changed to the Mobile 2500+ and now you have the problems? If you're not overheating your CPU from the above issue, then I think Ned got it right.

If you're not getting past the POST screen (where it displays CPU, does a memory test, detects the HDD, etc.) then you can't even get to a place where you can reflash the BIOS. How did you update the BIOS in the first place? (Asus utility?)

Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Yes- I reflashed the bios through the ASUS AWDFLASH utility. So- if clamping on the HSF, and properly resetting the CMOS doesn't work, then there is nothing I can do to reflash the bios, given that I can't even get that far in the boot process? Meaning- I did kill my mobo (in that case)?

It's not necessarily dead...
Do you have any other RAM that you can try? Just one stick in one slot (whatever slot your mobo manual recommends for one stick) - not a stick in slots 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 1 and 3 or 1/2/3.

pat

Expert
Power off the computer, hold down the "Insert" key, power on while holding it. It may takes up to 30 second before the computer load the fail safe BIOS and boot again.. So keep it pressed until you see the post screen.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

Interesting - is that a standard BIOS feature for all boards or specific to this Asus board?

Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I tried both the insert key trick and putting a single stick of ram into each of the 3 slots (at different times) Neither worked- it doesn't even appear to be getting to post. Once I hit the power on, i get the Memory failed message after about 6-8 seconds, and the system immediately shuts down.

pat

Expert
Well, I think it is for nforce2 board. It happened to me one time that I had to use that trick on my Soltek when I remove my twinx which setting were set manually in BIOS :) and putting some kind of generic memory that happen to not like those settings...

I shut down the computer (completly, not just restart), press and hold the insert key, power on and leave my finger on the ins key until the machine reset to default BIOS and the, I could set the timing to auto. Otherwise, I would had to open the case, move the jumpers...

Cool...I guess the failsafe BIOS is also stored on the BIOS chip. Learn something new everyday!

Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
So -now Iam able to get past the memory failed test issue, but now the computer won't do anthing but run. (fans on, but no monitor or post- only black screen (monitor has no signal from mobo). does it look like la nock

How'd you get it past the memory failure?

Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I got past the memory failure either by
a- properly clearing the CMOS or
b- fully attaching the HSF to the CPU
I tend to lean towards the HSF because I tried clearing the CMOS several other times.
Now my problem is my system runs stupidly without post completion. I get no more verbal messages form the post reporter, but because my monitor is receiving no signal from the bios, I am literally in the dark!My system simply runs without doing anything!
I guess now I need to completely remove all my components and add them one by one, retesting the boot with each addition, although it is perhaps more likely that I simply trashed the bios chip. Oh well- I have gotten past one problem and run smack into another!

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
did u disconnect the PSU when u were clearing the CMOS ?

Did you reattach everything correctly when you swapped CPU's?
LIke did you undo the floppy cable and put it in backwards?

All your IDE cables are firmly in place?

Your 4 pin power connector (if your mobo has one) is also connected?

Etc. etc.

What did you touch/loosen when you swapped the CPU's ????

The loving are the daring!

Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
PSU was disconnected during CMOS clear
Everything was properly reattached after CPU swap (believe me- I checked)
All IDE cables firmly in place.
Power connecter in place
I think everything is physically in place.

Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
When the HSF was not attached to the CPU, the system shut itself down within 6-8 seconds after I turned the power on. Through my various times testing different things, I probably tried to boot 8-10 times. Is this little amount of time (before shutting down) enough to fry the cpu!!??

pat

Expert
When the HSF was not attached to the CPU, the system shut itself down within 6-8 seconds after I turned the power on. Through my various times testing different things, I probably tried to boot 8-10 times. Is this little amount of time (before shutting down) enough to fry the cpu!!??

So you asked if you did mess up?

If it is what you did, yes, you really did mess up.

Jonlandy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
The first time after installing the new cpu, I did have the hsf properly clamped onto the cpu, and that was when I got the first "System failed memory test" message, and the system shut down. But my question remains: is 6-8 seconds from cold start to shutdown enough time fry a cpu if no hsf is attached?