Is PC gaming any better than console gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanlia

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I've never played an Xbox or a PS3 before but are they more funto play than PC's ? I have a pretty good PC but consoles seem to be alot cheaper, and you can still play the same games on them, should I get one ?

Solution
Gaming Experience from a PC is very different. First off, keyboard and mouse control is much easier to hand-eye coordinate...meaning if a console and pc gamer would face off, the inferior game controller would simply not feel as natural to control and would lose terribly. Secondly, the graphics potential of a PC are far superior. The reason consoles can handle games well while being incredibly cheap is because games are scaled down in their graphical aspect so the console can play it. On a PC, you can tweak, customize graphics to such a larger extent that it can make the same game look like night and day. A good computer can play on much higher resolutions with higher details and graphics technologies. Next, games on the PC can be...

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
No keep with a PC - better graphics, easy to control with the PC. If youve got the money, go with a PC. The only good things about consoles are that they are cheaper and more people will be playing online

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Consoles are cheaper and pc's are costlier this itself is your answer bro and the dx 10 and dx 11 settings and the level of detail that you get in pc games will not be available in consoles. So just stick with your system and if you have a nice gc play and see the difference.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I prefer playing games on the PC. I like the controls of a keyboard and mouse, it seems to me way more accurate and responsive than a gamepad. And the graphics are way better :)
There are some games which don't come out of the PC though, like Gears 2 for example, which I would have liked to play, but refuse.
I suppose it works both ways though, cause the STALKER games were PC only. Until STALKER 2 comes out that is.
Thing is I use my PC for everything. I could get an e-phone and a console and I could do everything communications and gaming wise that I can do on a PC, but I would have to contend with not having the latest tech (DX10/11) and trying to use Facebook on a tiny mobile phone screen.
My 24" 1080p ASUS monitor lets me do both gaming and Facebooking etc (emails, skype) very nicely, all in one place. :)

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'm a flatout PC gamer, but can see the benefit and conveniance of having a console. Walk over, flick it on and start playing...none of this driver crap or worrying if your PC meets requirements. And instant multiplayer at any time, rather than making sure your mate has the same game etc.

Price...well...it depends on which way you look at it. I watch all my movies, tv, browse web, word process and game etc. on my PC...so i save when it comes to massive tv's, dvd/bd players etc. Having a decent computer with it's ability to do such a multitude of things is more cost effective than a console in my opinion.

For conveniance and casual gaming, console. For serious gaming which requires precision movements with the mouse, macro keyboarding in RPGs etc...PC.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Gaming Experience from a PC is very different. First off, keyboard and mouse control is much easier to hand-eye coordinate...meaning if a console and pc gamer would face off, the inferior game controller would simply not feel as natural to control and would lose terribly. Secondly, the graphics potential of a PC are far superior. The reason consoles can handle games well while being incredibly cheap is because games are scaled down in their graphical aspect so the console can play it. On a PC, you can tweak, customize graphics to such a larger extent that it can make the same game look like night and day. A good computer can play on much higher resolutions with higher details and graphics technologies. Next, games on the PC can be tweaked much more, often through consoles and or the programming....in whichever way it might be. Plus since the keyboard has many more controls, functions, and keys...it allows users to play extremely complex games such as RTS games that console gamers would never be able to play with their crappy ass controllers.

Solution

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
As said above, it all depends on what you play.

I NEVER play FPS or RTS games on a console - you just don't get the control responsiveness unless you use a mouse and keyboard.

Everything else though I play on a console, especially fighting games.

There is always a cross-over where you can play PC games with a game pad, so that's then down to personal preference really and the kit you have available.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
PC gave birth to the console. PC will still dominate in cutting edge graphics and versatility. I used to be really big into PC then my system got old and crappy - all during which I was into consoles - NES, SNES, N64, gamecube, Wii, playstation, xbox, xbox360. Consoles have really come a long way - a 360 connected to xbox live can do all kinds of great stuff. all stuff you could do on a PC before, granted, but it makes it easier for the average user to enjoy this funcitonality on their big screen tv with surround sound and ass on the sofa. Gaming can be just as fun on the console, particularly when playing with friends that are physically present. And a note on FPS console... it's still fun. Now I played CS since it first came out and I love the twitch precision of a console shooter, but just look at the robust communities of people playing Halo and CoD on xbox live... there may be more bratty kids on there but it's certainly competitive and you might even argue it takes more skill to be precise with a thumbstick poppin off headshots one after the other. Both platforms are good. Consoles are catching up. I'm about to get a new PC pretty much for Sc2 and the upcoming Diablo3. I'm sure I'll give crysis a try and some of the other stuff i've been missing .

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
It always comes back to Halo. Halo is possibly the most overrated game of all the consoles...purely because the lack of decent shooters on Xbox. I can gaurantee you that the majority of PC FPS players out there wouldn't look side ways if Reach was released on PC.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Though I sympathize with your enthusiasm for boobies, don't belittle my comments because I mentioned Halo. It's a solid game. Besides, there's lot of shooters that have staked their claim on 360 turf: the Halos, the Cod franchise, Bioshock, Left for Dead, Orange Box, and mixed breeds like 3rd persons with shooter aspects like Gears or Mass Effect or Tom Clancy games.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Indeed. That being said I think it's fair to say each platform has some exclusive games worth playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.