Please give me a suggestion (SC2 FPS)

Aoebil

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Ok so I have a problem/question. My machine is nothing special. In fact it's pretty crappy but it's all I can afford at the moment. Here goes lol ....

CPU: Intel Celeron D CPU 2.66Ghz

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Celeron D, 2679 MHz
CPU Alias Prescott-256
CPU Stepping G1
Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Original Clock 2667 MHz
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Mobo: Unknown lol - Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 63-131-0000010-00101111-013007-VIA$4CDVT131_4COREDUAL-VSTA BIOS P1.40
Motherboard Name Unknown

Memory: 2x 1GB Corsair DDR2 667Mhz

----To the point. My issue is Starcraft 2 is suggesting everything on Ultra except shaders and lighting on low. And actually if the setting above those 2 is on ultra, lighting cannot be put at low. But that's besides the point. I set my graphics to LOW. Everything. On big campaign missions and in anything 2v2+ I get a majorly bad framerate. I mean in the big battles it's less than 1 fps. And at BEST its 12.

What can I do to solve this problem? Do I need to upgrade? I don't understand why it would give me suggested settings of Ultra and I can't even run it on low.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
ok well if you read the tomshardware review on it. it stated that SC2 works on very low quality video card. but needs a Dual Core 2.2ghz CPU.

your video card is well above the requirements. but the problem is your CPU is only a single core. thats undoubtable whats causing your bad framrates. like i said the only way to fix it is just to spend maybe 50-100$ and get a at least a Dual core 2.2ghz CPU. that should fix it. good luck

Aoebil

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
You know I think you're right. I have been under the impression that my cpu was dual core. A guy built it for me years ago, and at the time I was completely hardware illiterate. I didn't think to actually look it up to the exact name, but it is only single core. Upgrade time I guess..

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
yea there are some Celerons that are Dual cores. but in my opinion Celerons suck. their pretty old. if you can i would go for a Core two Duo. but their a bit over 100$. so if you want to stay under that go for a Pentium. keep in mind your socket type (i believe is a 775)

just search it on newegg and it will give you a whole selection for whatever your price range is. any of the Pentium or Core two duos on there should be fine.

Aoebil

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Yeah but at this point why drop another 100 or 150 into a crap dual core processor? I need to just get a new BB kit. I found this one
LINK: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6256262&CatId=332

It's a quad core and mobo. I'll need to buy the memory but I have an IDE 500GB HD that I can use. And the 350 watt power supply is crap but I can upgrade that as well. I'll end up spending 500 dollars on a fairly good computer (IMO).

In case I don't go that route, how do I check my socket type to make sure I can basically swap out what I have for a pentium dual core?

Aoebil

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hey I want to tell you I really appreciate you taking your time to help me with my pc issues. I was wondering, if you have time of course, if you could help me just a little bit more. I'm looking into buying that intel pentium that you were talking about. I don't want to spend that much money, because I feel like it'd be a waste in this rig. This is the very last thing I'll do before getting a brand new updated rig (which right now I cannot afford because I'm paying my way through school and with bills, etc.)

So I was looking at this: http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=914

It's a dual core with a 775 socket like you said. I did some research and found that I have a ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA mobo. Which does have a 775 socket. So my question to you; is it worth buying a refurbished processor for 35 dollars? Basically since it's so inexpensive, I figure I'll buy it so it can basically "hold me over" until I can afford my big Intel I7 or AMD Phenom II X4 system.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
well it all depends how bad you want to play SC2 lol? and it also depends how long it is before you can afford your next system. but for me at least 35$ isnt too bad. so i would probably get it so you have something decent before you can get your next system. you should be able to use the cooler from your old celeron so you dont have to buy a new cooler. unless you already have it your going to need to buy some thermal paste. im not positive though you can use the celeron cooler for it so i would double check on that

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-100-007-_-Product

so basically its about 45$. which isnt bad. and yea if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. an ill try my best to answer them. remember though even with this dont expect it to be some dreamy computer lol . it should be decent enough though in SC2. compared to your performance now

Aoebil

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Yeah my buddy who built my pc to begin with is gonna help me with the installation of it via the phone. I've seen him do it many times so I think I can do it. I know I need thermal paste. And I should be able to use the old heatsink but I'll look into that. Yeah it's gonna be some time before I can get a new machine because I have rent and car and insurance, like most people lol. I also am paying for school until I can get financial aid. And my job isn't the highest paying job even though I work my ass off lol. I'm guessing it'll be 8-12 months before I can even consider buying a higher end machine. So I figure this will get me by until then. The last upgrade this computer can handle. Lol. Since we built it I doubled my memory, replaced the HD, upgraded the PS, replaced the video card, (the onboard soundcard went bad ) and added a sound card. The last possible things I can do are buy 2x2GB DDR2 667 so I can have 4 gigs (which I don't think I'm going to do), and upgrade the processor. The specs on my mobo say it can handle quad core but it slows something down, but it can handle dual core no problem. So I'll go with a weaker dual core for cheap until I can save 800-1000 dollars and buy a good MOBO/CPU BB kit.

And yeah I know it won't be a dream machine but at least maybe I can operate at say above 10 FPS? Lmfao. I'd be happy if I got 40-50 fps during gameplay and 20 in big battles. I can't seem to find anything about using the old cooler with the new. Can you help me figure that out? Thanks again for your help.

EDIT: I just was looking on this website and for 8 bucks more i can get the Pentium D 930. Supposedly runs cooler and faster than the 35 dollar one. I think I'll go with that: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PD3000775-R&cat=CPU
And hopefully the guy next door to where I work will let me borrow some thermal paste lol. He's also looking to see if he's got or can get ahold of a Pentium D for me.

Aoebil

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
One more thing, while I got ya helpin' me lol. I have been wondering this for a while. A core 2 duo E6300 is a dual core processor that only runs at1.6 - 1.88 ghz. The Pentium D is a dual core processor running anywhere between 2.66 - 3.0 ghz.

Everyone agrees that the core 2 duo E's are better than the pentium D. But the pentium D is faster and has 2 cores. Would you mind shedding some light on why a slower speed is better than the faster?

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
ok now that i think about it the old CPU cooler should work fine. all your doing is replacing the chip underneath it. and they both use a 775 socket. so it should be fine. im not sure how good of a cooler it is so mind your CPU temperatures (i use HWMonitor) but it should keep it reasonably cool.

im not exactly sure why the Core 2 Duo is better. newer and better architecture i suppose. i wouldnt be surprised if the Pentium you chose could easily beat a 1.86 Core 2 Duo. its got twice the cache. plus of course the clock speed.

jawn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Dont go with the Core 2 Duo. Just get a phenom II 550BE. Just over clock it, and it easily beast a Core processor. Even if you dont overclock, its a better deal. Its clocked at 3.1 Ghz for christ sakes.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

ok first of all he has a intel 775 socket. so an AMD is out of the question. second clock speed isnt everything. ever wonder why an I7 of a lower clock speed can still beat a Phenom II x4? third a 550 is 100$ while this is under 50$

im not denying that a Phenom II could probably beat a Pentium and possibly a Core 2 Duo. but its obviously not the processor for this situation.

Aoebil

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
In fact an intel I7 can beat a phenom II x6 lol. But anyway back to my issue. I've done loads of research and am looking into getting an Intel E5500 or E5400. Only problem is it's not on the list of supported CPU's for my MOBO. I found a BIOS that will work with it, but of course it's in German. Trying to figure this out is such a headache.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

go for the GTX 465 first. your CPU is good enough for now but a 9600gt is a pretty weak card.

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
UR VGA is fine , ur bottle neck is ur CPU , its too low for ur system . not sure about ur PSU but its important too . I suggest u to go for GTX 460 instead of GTX 465 because GTX 465 is more expensive than GTX 460 but GTX 460 is much better than GTX 465 .

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I AGREE WITH dEAne ! By building new PC u realy gonna get Performance & abilities from each new hardwares , for example

Mobo: USB 3.0 Fast transfer rates , & it makes other hardwares work so fast
CPU: faster processing , faster gaming , specialy on Quad Cores Like i5 700 series
RAM: today games need something like 1333MHZ ddr 3 which make games & Other things work so smoot
PSU: makes all of these hardwares Work great , its Like Kitchen that make good foods & Feed its Workers .

ALL of these things make NEW vga card WORK JUST GREAT !

& ALL ALL of these above things , makes u feel in haven when u play with PC games or doing some other works . NEW BUILD is this .i ca recommand u one .