dell motherboard upgrade

ste

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
well i wish i could upgrade my current dell with 256mb of rdram memory, but i cant find it anymore in my country. So i found someone to sell the ram to, and i would like to buy a new motherboard and ram. The cpu is p4 2,26G 533M bus. So which chipset is better 848pe or the 865?.
Also my current dell is so quiet and stable, it makes almost no noise when the cpu is idle, i think it adjust the fan speed according with the cpu load, will i get a louder system with another board?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Personally, I like the 865. And I think it's pretty standard these days to regulate the CPU fan's voltage.

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most Dell systems don't use standard cases. There are a FEW that use Micro ATX, but most use Dell's own standard.

Look at the back of your case, if it has 4 card slots it's Micro ATX, anything else it's non-standard.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I'm certain that 5-slot Dell cases use a special Dell form factor motherboard.

Micro ATX cases support exactly 4 slots, ATX cases support exactly 7 slots. Some boards don't use all available slots, but the standard remains for the cases.

The only exception I know of was an IBM case with 6 slots, ATX, where the top slot was simply blocked off. If you look at the Dell case, there's no room to have the top 2 slots blocked off.

I have a 5-slot Dell P4 system case sitting on my patio right now, I don't have a board to fit it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>