LG 6000: blinking red charge light

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 27, 2004 2:59:52 PM

A new wrinkle: suddenly my vx6000 phone charger is blinking its
red indicator light, something unexplained in the manual. The
battery meter says about 3/4 charged. The phone is not old, is
undamaged as far as I know, and doesn't see much use.

Thanks,
pb
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 5:46:11 PM

Try removing the phone from the charger and putting it back in. That
blinking red charge light usually indicates an improper connection to the
charging contacts. I've seen it once in a while with my own 6000.

"pb" <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote in message
news:o viui0hlum0kq68thukg9n2f9k7d2m2cn0@4ax.com...
> A new wrinkle: suddenly my vx6000 phone charger is blinking its
> red indicator light, something unexplained in the manual. The
> battery meter says about 3/4 charged. The phone is not old, is
> undamaged as far as I know, and doesn't see much use.
>
> Thanks,
> pb
August 27, 2004 6:42:45 PM

Bob the Printer wrote:

> Try removing the phone from the charger and putting it back in. That
> blinking red charge light usually indicates an improper connection to the
> charging contacts. I've seen it once in a while with my own 6000.

I had tried that, to no avail. But it seems to be ok now.

Thanks,
pb
August 27, 2004 10:53:58 PM

The same thing happened to my wife all the time. Initially, I was going to
return the charger and get a new one but I found an extra AC charger cable
for my LG4500 phone tucked away in a junk drawer and now she uses my extra
charger cable.

Bruce D. Brown

> Bob the Printer wrote:
>
>> Try removing the phone from the charger and putting it back in. That
>> blinking red charge light usually indicates an improper connection to the
>> charging contacts. I've seen it once in a while with my own 6000.
>
> I had tried that, to no avail. But it seems to be ok now.
>
> Thanks,
> pb
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 12:53:10 AM

"pb" <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote in message
news:o viui0hlum0kq68thukg9n2f9k7d2m2cn0@4ax.com...
> A new wrinkle: suddenly my vx6000 phone charger is blinking its
> red indicator light, something unexplained in the manual. The
> battery meter says about 3/4 charged. The phone is not old, is
> undamaged as far as I know, and doesn't see much use.
>
> Thanks,
> pb

The charger seems to be a bit "Finicky". I have one battery that will
sometimes blink red in it. the other batteries are fine. ALL the batteries
will charge from the car cord or the travel charger, including the one that
sometimes causes the charger to blink red.....Verizon has NO clue as to why
this happens and I am the ***VERY FIRST*** one to ask them about it.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:13:44 AM

"pb" <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote in message
news:o viui0hlum0kq68thukg9n2f9k7d2m2cn0@4ax.com...
> A new wrinkle: suddenly my vx6000 phone charger is blinking its
> red indicator light, something unexplained in the manual. The
> battery meter says about 3/4 charged. The phone is not old, is
> undamaged as far as I know, and doesn't see much use.
>
> Thanks,
> pb

The desktop chargers on most all the LG phones eventually get hinky like
that. Sometimes inserting the phone intot he cradle before plugging the
transformer into the wall helps.

Assuming you've got the phone inserted properly into the cradle, if you
wiggle the phone, that will help- prop up something behind it, put a wedge
of paper in behind it, etc. But just touching the base can set it off again.

I got tired of the desktop chargers and got one on the so called travel
chargers that plug directly into the bottom of the phone. The only hassle
with them is they turn the phone on when you plug them in- so you have to
manually power off the phone.
August 28, 2004 1:13:45 AM

Daniel Dravot wrote:

> Sometimes inserting the phone intot he cradle before plugging the
> transformer into the wall helps.

The only thing I did differently just before it worked was to
blow into the phone's jack. Maybe there was a speck of dust. We
shall see.

pb
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:13:46 AM

pb wrote:
> Daniel Dravot wrote:
>
>> Sometimes inserting the phone intot he cradle before plugging the
>> transformer into the wall helps.
>
> The only thing I did differently just before it worked was to
> blow into the phone's jack. Maybe there was a speck of dust. We
> shall see.

If the contacts on the cradle are exposed try lightly cleaning them
with a pencil eraser.

-Quick
August 28, 2004 1:24:41 AM

Quick wrote:

> If the contacts on the cradle are exposed try lightly cleaning them
> with a pencil eraser.

Good idea. Thanks.
pb
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 3:36:48 AM

I had much the same problem on occasion with my former LG TM510..

"pb" <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote in message
> Bob the Printer wrote:
>
> > Try removing the phone from the charger and putting it back in. That
> > blinking red charge light usually indicates an improper connection to
the
> > charging contacts. I've seen it once in a while with my own 6000.
>
> I had tried that, to no avail. But it seems to be ok now.
>
> Thanks,
> pb
August 4, 2009 12:56:53 PM

PB said:

A new wrinkle: suddenly my vx6000 phone charger is blinking its
red indicator light, something unexplained in the manual. The
battery meter says about 3/4 charged. The phone is not old, is
undamaged as far as I know, and doesn't see much use.

Thanks,
pb

I was having the same problem with my LG cradle charger....I spilled some water on it while it was plugged in....not good,...dried it out and still....flashing light. So that prompted me to once again take the charger cradle apart ...again to see if I could find any further problems other than the dampness that I had eliminated earlier. Lo and behold I found it! The solder joint on the circuit board at the jack plug was broken...Re-soldered...problem fixed!...Keep this in mind when you have trouble with other electronics too...
September 26, 2009 5:54:13 AM

tesla4all said:
I was having the same problem with my LG cradle charger
Lo and behold I found it! The solder joint on the circuit board at the jack plug was broken...Re-soldered...problem fixed!...Keep this in mind when you have trouble with other electronics too...

I'm here a bit late - found this thread while trying to fix my VX6000 cradle charger.
I have the same problems as the OP and others - intermittent blinking red.

What I discovered so far is that the battery has three terminals, the middle
one tells the cradle that a correct battery is in place. If that pin is open
circuit the cradle will give the "blinking red" and no charging current.

I had previously tried to get better connections and this time I busted off one
of the three pins in the cradle while attempting an adjustment.

As luck would have it I found a simple work around. Short the middle pin ("ID"
on the PCB silk screen) to the bat -ve pin ("-" on the PCB silk screen) and the
cradle will 'think' the correct battery is in place. There is a small capacitor to
remove noise from the ID pins when the phone or battery are installed, so
a jumper across this component is easy to add.

No more blinking red, just solid red (charging) and a solid green (charged).

UPDATE:
However, the unplugged phone will cause the blinking red, which I just
noticed when I pulled mine out of the modded cradle.

I hope this helps someone!
!