wireless net problem

my flatmate has a netgear router DG834G and we have been trying for
ages to set up a network so i can use his ADSL internet connection
too. he was given the netgear WG121 USB 2.0 network card along with
the router when he bought it.
the network is detected by the card but no connection is ever made.
my flatmate says he s using PSK/WPA and not just WEP, and since we
cannot configure that on the user interface of the card, it will never
work.
hhmmm... i ve read some user reviews on ebuyer.com and it seems to
work for other people (or maybe they re only using WEP).
so: we re stuck, and i cannot use the internet at home. please help
me, i m a www addict! also, any reccomendations for alternative
network cards/access points are welcome. many thanks, if anyone ever
figures it out i will be eternally grateful!
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless problem

    To use WPA, you do have to have the correct driver as WPA is fairly new,
    also you either have to be running
    WinXP SP2 or (SP1 with the hotfix added)

    wrkhlcuk2000@netscape.net (Ian) wrote in

    > the network is detected by the card but no connection is ever made.
    > my flatmate says he s using PSK/WPA and not just WEP, and since we
    > cannot configure that on the user interface of the card, it will never
    > work.

    Are you sure about that? Have you gone to the Web Site for the card and
    downloaded the driver and then installed the driver and configured the card
    using Device Mangaer?

    > hhmmm... i ve read some user reviews on ebuyer.com and it seems to
    > work for other people (or maybe they re only using WEP).
    > so: we re stuck, and i cannot use the internet at home. please help
    > me, i m a www addict! also, any reccomendations for alternative
    > network cards/access points are welcome. many thanks, if anyone ever
    > figures it out i will be eternally grateful!

    Linksys.

    Duane :)

    To use WPA, your Wireless router / AP/ PC & Notebook cards must
    support it. You DO NOT have to install the SP1 hotfix or have SP2
    installed to use WPA unless you're using the Windows XP Wireless Zero
    Configuration utility. If you disable WZC and use the utility that
    came with your card (s) you can use WPA as long as the card(s) and
    router/AP supports it.

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:55:15 -0500, "Airhead"
    <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote:

    >To use WPA, you do have to have the correct driver as WPA is fairly new,
    >also you either have to be running
    >WinXP SP2 or (SP1 with the hotfix added)

    Just Me, D

    "Smith" <Smith@donotreply.org> wrote in news:4UPfd.44374$bk1.5208
    @fed1read05:

    > Linksys. Which one? Need a wireless router with an SPI firewall. WRV54G?
    > Smith

    I don't why you need WRV54G with VPN solution as there is WTR54G a non VPN
    solution.

    Duane :)

    I stand corrected
    hotfix = wzc
    no wzc= no hotfix

    "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message
    > To use WPA, your Wireless router / AP/ PC & Notebook cards must
    > support it. You DO NOT have to install the SP1 hotfix or have SP2
    > installed to use WPA unless you're using the Windows XP Wireless Zero
    > Configuration utility. If you disable WZC and use the utility that
    > came with your card (s) you can use WPA as long as the card(s) and
    > router/AP supports it.
    >
    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:55:15 -0500, "Airhead"
    > <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote:
    >
    > >To use WPA, you do have to have the correct driver as WPA is fairly new,
    > >also you either have to be running
    > >WinXP SP2 or (SP1 with the hotfix added)
    >
    > Just Me, D

Wireless Internet Wireless Networking