Data Corruption Question

Juncomatt

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
re-post from CPUs...

Hello All. I built the following PC about a year and a half ago and about six months ago I started having major problems with data corruption.

Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Lanboy Case w / 400W PS
MSI K7N2G nForce 2 Motherboard
2 / 512MB Infineon RAM
Maxtor 160 GB HD
Radeon 9700 Pro

Seemingly out of nowhere, when I would boot the machine it started checking the hard drive for errors, it would supposedly fix all the errors and continue to boot. I noticed that the files which were corrupted were driver files. My computer started to run slower and continued to check the disk every third time id boot it for about a month.

I formatted the disk and reinstalled windows, drivers, service pack 2 and all that stuff. About two weeks later, it did the same thing. I formatted two more times without any improvement. Then I started noticing that my processor speed on boot was reading as 1.2 Ghz, which is way low. My disk isn't making weird noises, but files are still getting corrupted and my computer eventually wont boot after about a week. Does anyone recognize this problem? Could it be my mobo, or power supply?

I would load the default settings in the bios, then check the frequency and voltage control section, and be sure your cpu fsb is at 166. I would also use the maxblast program (a free download off of maxtor's website), and see if it has any diskcheck programs to rule out problems with the hardrive.