New MoBo and Processor

alex228

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
Over the last few months I've upgraded almost all of my old pc's parts and the only remaning factory parts are the hardrive, the processor and the motherboard. Well Im looking to buy a new motherboard and processor. I was looking in Newegg and noticed that the AMD processors were noticeably cheaper than the Intel processors. When looking at the AMD processors for example " AMD Athlon XP 2600+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor" under the name it says "Operating Frequency: 1.9GHz" Does that mean that that processor runs at a 1.9 speeds if put into Intel terminology? Im not sure if im saying it correctly but what im asking is if the operating frequency is 1.9 then would that make it the same as buying an Intel 1.9? Cause if it is then I understand why Intel processors are a bit more expensive, because they sell the actual number than they show. Or maybe I have it all wrong.

Anyways If I do go with a AMD processor im probably gonna go with Athlon XP since they are up there but not as high as the 64's. Also I don't have that much money at my disposal. Also im gonna need to pair it with a motherboard. Any suggestions on something good for the buck?

AMD uses a Performance Rating (PR) system. A 2600+ PR rating is supposed to be comparable to an Intel, of the same time period, at that Mhz. In other words a Barton 2600+ was supposed to perform as well as an Intel 2.6Ghz from the same time. Kind of confusing to say the least...
THG has a really good 2 part article on CPUs. Highly recommend you read it. What are your current system specs (including power supply unit (PSU)) and what is your budget?

endyen

Splendid
The best socketA board is the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-166&depa=0" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-166&depa=0</A>
Abit makes a few with a name that is close, but aren't worth having. Only the NF7-S is it.
Better option would be to get the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-200&depa=0" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-200&depa=0</A> and a s754 sempron. For about the same money, the sempron will blow it's rivals away.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AMD processors are based on older technology similar to the PIII, and won't clock as high, BUT so is Intel's Pentium-M (of Centrino fame) and both tear the arse out of the P4 in clock-for-clock comparisons. Remember when the PIII 1000EB outperformed the P4 1.4? The legacy continues.

So the big number you see is AMD's approximation of P4 performance. And the lower clock rate you see is the actual clock speed the CPU uses to get that performance.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

alex228

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
My current system specs are a 1.0 AMD Athlon CPU, Radeon 9500 Pro video card, a 350 watt power supply, 40gb HDD, 640 MB. I kinda wanna try to stay under $ for both but i guess i could go a bit over but im gonna try not to.

I read the article I liked these:
$50 to $100:- Sempron 2600+ (socket 754) or faster CPU within budget
$100 to $150:- Athlon64 2800+, Athlon64 3000+ (Newcastle 2.0 GHz)

So I guess im gonna go with the AMD's.. but i still dont get how the PR works. Will a 2.6 Athlon XP work as fast as a Intel 2.6? or are the AMD's much lower in ghz. Right now im trying to decide whether to go with AMD or Intel and then i can decide what type of motherboard to get with it. I do some gaming so i want something that will work decently.

So the big number you see is AMD's approximation of P4 performance. And the lower clock rate you see is the actual clock speed the CPU uses to get that performance.
What Crash said about the PR system hits the nail on the head. The AMDs are clocked slower than their P4 counterparts, but perform as well or better.

How many amps on your 12V rail in that PSU (there should be a label on the side of the PSU that says +12V). What do you primarily use the system to do? Gaming, internet, office apps, DV editing? What area do you want the best performance? What is your budget - <i>under $</i> isn't a good number we can help you stay under. Under $200, under $300, under $1000...

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Will a 2.6 Athlon XP work as fast as a Intel 2.6? or are the AMD's much lower in ghz.
Both! The AMD chips are more efficient, so they get the same performance out of a lower clock speed.

When you look at a Sempron, the pr rating (2600+) compares to the Celeron D of the same speed (2.6ghz). When you look at an Athlon XP the rating compares to earlier Pentium 4s. When you look at an Athlon 64 the rating compares to current Pentium 4s.

If you have the money, I would go with an Athlon64 setup. Even if its only the 2800+.

Mike.

alex228

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
Ok I think I get it, so even though the ghz are lower it performs just as well as the higher ones because of its components.

Im looking at the side of the PSU and in the side of it there is a table with Voltage, Current, and Frequency. Under Voltage and under +12v it says 15a. Does that answer your question, there are other things that have a number and a "a" beside it but thats the one I saw thats right under +12v.

Im gonna be using the game mostly for gaming and stuff. I do have some video editing software and I've always wanted to try it but I doubt I will. Yeah I use Office and Macromedia software occasionally. Lol and i thought i wrote it but i guess it didnt show up, I wanna try to stay under 180 or 150. You see my friend will be paying for the processor and Im buying the motherboard but I still dont wanna make him pay too much for the processor, Oh and i mean 180-150 for both parts, if its possible.

After reading the article from
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=168861#168861
i guess those are some good examples, any more suggestions? and what motherboard should I be looking at.

Oh and another question is, when i look at cpu's what does 64kb L2 or 128..256..513 kb L2 mean?

15A is OK - especially considering the vid card you have. Who is the PSU mfr?
Oh and another question is, when i look at cpu's what does 64kb L2 or 128..256..513 kb L2 mean?
Tese are the cache stats for the CPU. Higher is better. One of the differences between A64 and Sempron is the size of the cache and the A64 will support 64bit OS like Win64. If you can spend a few dollars more, an A64 will be the best route - it will be a faster CPU and will support Win64 down the road. If I were in your situation, I'd go with the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-180-061&depa=1" target="_new">Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR</A> for $75 and an <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-452&depa=1" target="_new">A64 2800+</A> for $120. I'd kick my buddy $25 to help with the CPU to balance the spending. To stay under the budget you can get the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-104-226&depa=1" target="_new">Sempron 2600+</A> for $78. High cost would be $195 and the low cost would be $163. I personally think you would be better served by spending the extra $30 for the A64, but every persons situation is different.

alex228

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
Ok that helped alot, thanx for the help guys. Now i just gotta go see if my buddy will pay 120 for that processor.
Hey I was wondering what does FSB: 800MHz Hyper Transport mean, i have never ehard of that, oh and also whats Onboard LAN: 1000 BASE-T Ethernet mean, like i've seen something like 100/1000 ethernet but never seen that. Anyways thanx for the suggestions and i'll let u guys know if he agrees or not.

alex228

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
Ok so I just talked to him a few minutes ago and he said he would do it!! lol im so happy, my system is gonna be sweet now.

Congrats! Good luck on the upgrade and if you need help, then drop a note. Make sure you read the CPU and Mobo FAQs...

alex228

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
Ok I should be ordering the processor and motherboard in about 3 days, one thing I was wondering though, I might be interested in overclocking later on, will I be successfull on high overcloking with this motherboard/cpu?