Doom3 crashes-- need help with ATI display driver problem

Doom3 on my computer looks and plays just fine until the portion in
Level 1 where the Marine is led by the robot (programmed by Sgt.
Kelly) back thru the base to go and pick up some gear. For whatever
reason, the game always crashes out whenever the robot walks through I
think the 3rd door in the sequence. Whenever the door starts to open
and the robot walks thru, the computer freezes. I didn't have this
problem with Return to Castle Wolfenstein but my machine just can't
seem to handle that graphic on Doom3. This sounds like a video
display driver problem and I've tried everything to fix it, but can't
even download the driver update for some reason. My specs:

eMachines M6811 Notebook
XP, Athlon 64 3400+ 1.59 GhZ
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600/9700 chipset
80 GB hard drive (about 60 GB free, recently defragged)

I've heard of people having to update the video driver before so I
went onto ATI's Website to download the most recent Catalyst 4.11
driver-- http://tinyurl.com/6dqw9-- which ATI's site says is
compatible with the Radeon chipsets.

But when I try to install the driver, the installation always fails.
I downloaded the Mobility Modder (http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/)
to fix the .inf files for the driver and, though I get a bit further
in the install, I constantly get the infuriating error message that
"This display driver is not compatible with the display adapter
installed on your system." I uninstalled the driver that came
preloaded (just earlier Catalyst version IIRC), but that didn't work
either-- same damn error message. Only my previous Radeon driver (in
the Drivers/Video directory) can reinstall successfully, apparently
something with this "Display Adapter" compatibility. I don't know WTF
ATI means by the "Display Adapter" (I presume they're just referring
to the card?) but the upshot is that I'm stuck in this damn Catch-22.
I can't play Doom3 b/c it freezes up due to an apparent driver
problem, but I can't even download the newest driver b/c of this
Adapter compatibility problem.

Does anyone have suggestions here, or maybe have experienced this sort
of problem before? Has anyone had problems with Catalyst 4.11? Did
ATI maybe just screw up with this driver update, and I perhaps just
have to hunt down an earlier version of it? Thanks.

Jack

Did you update Doom3 to V1.1?
http://www.doom3.com/
Head to the site and click on "updates" to get the patch.

I have a Radeon 9600SE and after running Doom3 for 5-10 minutes, the game
would freeze and computer and a reboot would be necessary (very
aggravating). After installing and reinstalling the latest Catalyst drivers
over and over again, I found a better alternative:

http://www.omegadrivers.net

Installing the Omega drivers for my ATI card, the game ran smooth and
beautifully.

Good luck!

"Roirraw Nomed" <roirrawnomed@mail.com> wrote in message
> Doom3 on my computer looks and plays just fine until the portion in
> Level 1 where the Marine is led by the robot (programmed by Sgt.
> Kelly) back thru the base to go and pick up some gear. For whatever
> reason, the game always crashes out whenever the robot walks through I
> think the 3rd door in the sequence. Whenever the door starts to open
> and the robot walks thru, the computer freezes. I didn't have this
> problem with Return to Castle Wolfenstein but my machine just can't
> seem to handle that graphic on Doom3. This sounds like a video
> display driver problem and I've tried everything to fix it, but can't
> even download the driver update for some reason. My specs:
>
> eMachines M6811 Notebook
> XP, Athlon 64 3400+ 1.59 GhZ
> 512 MB RAM
> ATI Radeon 9600/9700 chipset
> 80 GB hard drive (about 60 GB free, recently defragged)
>
> I've heard of people having to update the video driver before so I
> went onto ATI's Website to download the most recent Catalyst 4.11
> driver-- http://tinyurl.com/6dqw9-- which ATI's site says is
> compatible with the Radeon chipsets.
>
> But when I try to install the driver, the installation always fails.
> I downloaded the Mobility Modder (http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/)
> to fix the .inf files for the driver and, though I get a bit further
> in the install, I constantly get the infuriating error message that
> "This display driver is not compatible with the display adapter
> installed on your system." I uninstalled the driver that came
> preloaded (just earlier Catalyst version IIRC), but that didn't work
> either-- same damn error message. Only my previous Radeon driver (in
> the Drivers/Video directory) can reinstall successfully, apparently
> something with this "Display Adapter" compatibility. I don't know WTF
> ATI means by the "Display Adapter" (I presume they're just referring
> to the card?) but the upshot is that I'm stuck in this damn Catch-22.
> I can't play Doom3 b/c it freezes up due to an apparent driver
> problem, but I can't even download the newest driver b/c of this
> Adapter compatibility problem.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions here, or maybe have experienced this sort
> of problem before? Has anyone had problems with Catalyst 4.11? Did
> ATI maybe just screw up with this driver update, and I perhaps just
> have to hunt down an earlier version of it? Thanks.
>
> Jack

Len

Why thank you.
I will go there for my 9200 and see if that works. Same as yours,
about 10 minutes and FREEZE to hard reboot.

> [...]
>> I can't play Doom3 b/c it freezes up due to an apparent driver
>> problem, but I can't even download the newest driver b/c of this
>> Adapter compatibility problem.
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions here, or maybe have experienced this sort
>> of problem before? Has anyone had problems with Catalyst 4.11? Did
>> ATI maybe just screw up with this driver update, and I perhaps just
>> have to hunt down an earlier version of it? Thanks.
>>
>> Jack

>>I have a Radeon 9600SE and after running Doom3 for 5-10 minutes, the game
>>would freeze and computer and a reboot would be necessary (very
>>aggravating). After installing and reinstalling the latest Catalyst
>>drivers
>>over and over again, I found a better alternative:
>>
>>http://www.omegadrivers.net
>>
>>Installing the Omega drivers for my ATI card, the game ran smooth and

I used the Omega drivers also for D3 demo with same lockups.
They didn't help until .........I reinstalled the game again, then
all was well :)

MrKoko