Verizon comment: Crippling Bluetooth in V710

Tags:
  • Verizon
  • Bluetooth
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Product
Last response: in Network Providers
August 27, 2004 11:09:23 PM

27-Aug-2004, From Ellery (at) StarBus (dot) com

Scroll down and see BOTH answers that I got from Verizon...

[From me to Verizon]...

I suspect that you are going to get a lot of customers asking for this same
information... The bluetooth feature works with a headset or as a link to a
modem, but it fails to connect to all other services: Phone book import,
off-load photos, and data exchange.

It appears that this feature has been DISABLED in just the Verizon OEM
version of this phone. When I borrow a NON-Verizon V710, these features work
just fine! I now have dozens of high res images to transfer into my PC. I
can't even dump them through a data cable, because the software does not yet
support this model. Even if I found a TransFlash memory card (not yet
available), my images are in the built-in memory, so it is too late to
transfer the photos in this manner. Please help me to activate the standard
features of my V710. Please don't tell me to email the photos:

1. They are for me, and not another customer
2. There are too many
3. They are high-res. It would take hours to transfer

I really hope that you or someone at Verizon with the secret code helps me
to use the features that Motorola built into this phone.
_____________

[Response from Jamie at Verizon Wireless Data Tech Support]...

Verizon Wireless chose not to support downloading pictures via a data cable.
Downloading pictures from your phone directly to your computer is a common
request; however, not an option that we support at this time. Your
suggestion has been forwarded on to the appropriate department for further
review.

Our camera phones allow you to send picture messages on the spur of the
moment. They do not replace a camera, they allow you to take a picture when
you do not have your camera with you and to be able to share that pictures
with others right away.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
_____________

[From me to Verizon]...

Hello Jamie. Thank you for responding so promptly. You said...

> Verizon Wireless chose not to support downloading pictures
> via bluetooth or cable. Although it is is a common request, it is
> not an option that we support at this time.

Verizon is my service provider. As such, you offer a SERVICE FEATURE:
Sending photos over the Verizon network. I get it... That's nice.

Motorola offers a HARDWARE FEATURE that was built into this new phone:
Downloading photos with bluetooth (and uploading wallpaper, synchronizing
phonebooks, adding ring-tones, etc). I am not asking Verizon wireless to
"support" this feature. It is an inherent feature of the Motorola phone that
I have just purchased. I am asking that Verizon unlock the feature that has
apparently been disabled before I even opened the box.

I also take issue with your statement that the phone is not meant to
substitute for a camera. Of course it is!! That's the whole point of packing
1.3 Megapixels into a phone. It is a print-quality camera. Why would I buy
this phone if I intended to carry around another gadget on every outing?
_____________

[Response from Erika at Verizon Wireless Data Tech Suppor]...

Bluetooth connectivity is supported. It will enable you to connect to
numerous other devices and applications that support and use that
technology.

Support for the specific Bluetooth capabilities and external Motorola
devices that work with that device, are provided by Motorola.

We here at Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support will continue to support
the wireless data products and services that we sell such as Get It Now,
Picture Messaging and our VZW branded Mobile Office Connectivity Kits.

More about : verizon comment crippling bluetooth v710

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 11:09:24 PM

Ellery Davies wrote:

> [Response from Erika at Verizon Wireless Data Tech Suppor]...
>
> Bluetooth connectivity is supported. It will enable you to connect to
> numerous other devices and applications that support and use that
> technology.
>
> Support for the specific Bluetooth capabilities and external Motorola
> devices that work with that device, are provided by Motorola.
>
> We here at Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support will continue to support
> the wireless data products and services that we sell such as Get It Now,
> Picture Messaging and our VZW branded Mobile Office Connectivity Kits.

Sounds like Bluetooth ISN'T supported between the PC and the phone. I agree
with the speculation that it's because they'd rather *sell* PIX messaging.

C'mon Verizon, you're already the most expensive carrier out there, why nickel
and dime people to death on top of that?

August 27, 2004 11:09:25 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Ellery Davies wrote:
>
>> [Response from Erika at Verizon Wireless Data Tech Suppor]...
>>
>> Bluetooth connectivity is supported. It will enable you to connect to
>> numerous other devices and applications that support and use that
>> technology.
>>
>> Support for the specific Bluetooth capabilities and external Motorola
>> devices that work with that device, are provided by Motorola.
>>
>> We here at Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support will continue to
>> support the wireless data products and services that we sell such as
>> Get It Now, Picture Messaging and our VZW branded Mobile Office
>> Connectivity Kits.
>>

> Sounds like Bluetooth ISN'T supported between the PC and the phone. I
> agree with the speculation that it's because they'd rather *sell* PIX
> messaging.
>
> C'mon Verizon, you're already the most expensive carrier out there,
> why nickel and dime people to death on top of that?

Nope. Don't agree. If they were looking to sell a service they would
have one to send pics from the phone to their pic service so you could
keep an album and download it to your PC. Maybe that's in the works?

I can understand the support issues as soon as you commit to supporting
something that includes personal equipment/PCs.

"My pics don't download"
"Are you using a Mac or a PC?"
"I have a PC... what's a Mac?"
"What operating system are you running?"
"Microsoft"
"What version of Microsoft Windows are you using?"
"How do I find that out? This is my Dad's PC"

Headset is a different issue. Much more controlled and easier
to support.

Support is a big issue. I'm not saying that a good portion of
the reason, if not the largest portion, is to sell services. I believe
this *is* where the money is (and has always been for providers).
Basic cell service can be a business on it's own but it will be the
additional/enhanced services that will provide far greater revenues.
Business will sell what people are willing to pay for.

Hopefully the OP is within the 15 day trial and returns the phone.
One option (true with VZW and not some others) is to purchase
a non customized phone elsewhere and activate it on VZW service.
Of course you forego the VZW subsidized price. Part of the deal.

Note: It is *highly* unlikely that there is a "unlock" code for the
functionality. The manufacturers (all of them) provide customized
firmware for service providers. A VZW phone will be flashed
(and branded) at the factory with a different image than a Sprint
phone, etc.

-Quick
August 28, 2004 1:59:04 AM

I thought they already had one:
http://www.vzwpix.com/mlib/index.jsp

> Steve Sobol wrote:
>> Ellery Davies wrote:
>>
>>> [Response from Erika at Verizon Wireless Data Tech Suppor]...
>>>
>>> Bluetooth connectivity is supported. It will enable you to connect to
>>> numerous other devices and applications that support and use that
>>> technology.
>>>
>>> Support for the specific Bluetooth capabilities and external Motorola
>>> devices that work with that device, are provided by Motorola.
>>>
>>> We here at Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support will continue to
>>> support the wireless data products and services that we sell such as
>>> Get It Now, Picture Messaging and our VZW branded Mobile Office
>>> Connectivity Kits.
>>>

>> Sounds like Bluetooth ISN'T supported between the PC and the phone. I
>> agree with the speculation that it's because they'd rather *sell* PIX
>> messaging.
>>
>> C'mon Verizon, you're already the most expensive carrier out there,
>> why nickel and dime people to death on top of that?
>
> Nope. Don't agree. If they were looking to sell a service they would
> have one to send pics from the phone to their pic service so you could
> keep an album and download it to your PC. Maybe that's in the works?
>
> I can understand the support issues as soon as you commit to supporting
> something that includes personal equipment/PCs.
>
> "My pics don't download"
> "Are you using a Mac or a PC?"
> "I have a PC... what's a Mac?"
> "What operating system are you running?"
> "Microsoft"
> "What version of Microsoft Windows are you using?"
> "How do I find that out? This is my Dad's PC"
>
> Headset is a different issue. Much more controlled and easier
> to support.
>
> Support is a big issue. I'm not saying that a good portion of
> the reason, if not the largest portion, is to sell services. I believe
> this *is* where the money is (and has always been for providers).
> Basic cell service can be a business on it's own but it will be the
> additional/enhanced services that will provide far greater revenues.
> Business will sell what people are willing to pay for.
>
> Hopefully the OP is within the 15 day trial and returns the phone.
> One option (true with VZW and not some others) is to purchase
> a non customized phone elsewhere and activate it on VZW service.
> Of course you forego the VZW subsidized price. Part of the deal.
>
> Note: It is *highly* unlikely that there is a "unlock" code for the
> functionality. The manufacturers (all of them) provide customized
> firmware for service providers. A VZW phone will be flashed
> (and branded) at the factory with a different image than a Sprint
> phone, etc.
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:59:05 AM

W wrote:
> I thought they already had one:
> http://www.vzwpix.com/mlib/index.jsp

Yep. Appears they do. That would fit with their disabling that
functionality on their phones (along with the secondary support
issues). They have done this in the past with some phones in
the context of getting games and/or ring tones on the phone
and circumventing the GIN stuff.

-Quick

> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Steve Sobol wrote:

>>> Sounds like Bluetooth ISN'T supported between the PC and the phone.
>>> I agree with the speculation that it's because they'd rather *sell*
>>> PIX messaging.
>>>
>>> C'mon Verizon, you're already the most expensive carrier out there,
>>> why nickel and dime people to death on top of that?
>>
>> Nope. Don't agree. If they were looking to sell a service they would
>> have one to send pics from the phone to their pic service so you
>> could keep an album and download it to your PC. Maybe that's in the
>> works?
>>
>> I can understand the support issues as soon as you commit to
>> supporting something that includes personal equipment/PCs.
>>
>> "My pics don't download"
>> "Are you using a Mac or a PC?"
>> "I have a PC... what's a Mac?"
>> "What operating system are you running?"
>> "Microsoft"
>> "What version of Microsoft Windows are you using?"
>> "How do I find that out? This is my Dad's PC"
>>
>> Headset is a different issue. Much more controlled and easier
>> to support.
>>
>> Support is a big issue. I'm not saying that a good portion of
>> the reason, if not the largest portion, is to sell services. I
>> believe this *is* where the money is (and has always been for
>> providers). Basic cell service can be a business on it's own but it
>> will be the additional/enhanced services that will provide far
>> greater revenues. Business will sell what people are willing to pay
>> for.
>>
>> Hopefully the OP is within the 15 day trial and returns the phone.
>> One option (true with VZW and not some others) is to purchase
>> a non customized phone elsewhere and activate it on VZW service.
>> Of course you forego the VZW subsidized price. Part of the deal.
>>
>> Note: It is *highly* unlikely that there is a "unlock" code for the
>> functionality. The manufacturers (all of them) provide customized
>> firmware for service providers. A VZW phone will be flashed
>> (and branded) at the factory with a different image than a Sprint
>> phone, etc.
>>
>> -Quick
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:40:56 AM

In article <RFUXc.91838$l_2.11885@fe36.usenetserver.com>,
"Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote:

> People, give Cingular a try!!!! You'll love them!

They don't have any service where I live.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous

Quick wrote:

> I can understand the support issues as soon as you commit to supporting
> something that includes personal equipment/PCs.

OK. I can see it creating support issues too.

> Hopefully the OP is within the 15 day trial and returns the phone.
> One option (true with VZW and not some others) is to purchase
> a non customized phone elsewhere and activate it on VZW service.
> Of course you forego the VZW subsidized price. Part of the deal.

Yup.

August 30, 2004 2:55:06 PM

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <RFUXc.91838$l_2.11885@fe36.usenetserver.com>,
> "Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> People, give Cingular a try!!!! You'll love them!
>
> They don't have any service where I live.

Please don't cloud the main issue with irrevelant side issues.
Why would you need to talk with anyone else when you can
talk to your PC?

-Quick
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 3:07:25 PM

Killer Madness wrote:
> Ya know, maybe the lack of Verizon helping ANYONE with their Bluetooth
> problem they will actually start to see the light at the end of the
> tunnel. Verizon could care less about any problem you are having with
> your new fancy Bluetooth buggy phone they just released. Why?

Because they don't support it? They didn't say they did. I guess the
OP didn't try it before either.

Yea, I'm still miffed that my TM510 couldn't talk to the Iridium satellite
network...

> When I called Cingular for help with some
> thing regarding the Bluetooth connectivity they were willing to help
> and answered my question. They didn't tell me to go shove it like
> Verizon is telling all it's customer's. People, give Cingular a
> try!!!! You'll love them!

I did try Cingular. Didn't work in my house. Didn't work in my office
on the top floor of the building. 3 Cingular reps told me "It doesn't
work in my house either" and "Does your office building have electronic
equipment in it like PCs? Because that can interfere with the signal...".
Uhhh, I work in Silicon Valley. That was special. Then they charged
me full ETF on two lines. VZW had held my account for 90 days for
me so I only had to reactivate my old plan with 7pm nights which
wasn't offered any more.

-Quick
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 7:13:58 PM

In article <1093888361.125947@sj-nntpcache-5>,
"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> >> People, give Cingular a try!!!! You'll love them!
> >
> > They don't have any service where I live.
>
> Please don't cloud the main issue with irrevelant side issues. Why
> would you need to talk with anyone else when you can talk to your PC?

I have a USB microphone that I can talk to my PC with, and I probably
could get a Bluetooth microphone. I don't need no stinkin cell phone to
talk to my PC.

That's why!

So, there!

An so's yer old man!!!

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:32:25 AM

Most important question - where did you manage to get a non-verizon v710?
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 3:17:35 AM

A friend of mine couldn't wait for the Verizon introduction. The V710 has
been floating around on eBay for at least 4 months (for $700 and up). In
fact, both Aston Martin and Bentley offered a promo where the car came with
a free V710 during April/May (I'm not sure about Bentley). One of these car
companies plated the phone in gold or perhaps replaced the plastic case and
placed it into a luxurious cherry wood cigar box. I've seen photos on the
web.

Once you have any 850/CDMA phone, Verizon is pretty good about provisioning
it without a contract. They will even swap numbers between them whenever you
call. For example, if I want a temporary phone when one is being repaired,
or even if I visit someone and I want to borrow their phone on my account.
Their only concern is that phone's on the America's choice program must be
tri-mode. If you present them with a phone that doesn't support PCS or
Analog, they will only allow it if the phone is capable of locking out all
unfriendly towers without user intervention (i.e. carrier-mandatory PRL).
Few older phones can do this. As far as I know, only the v8160 and the
Qualcomm 820/860.

!