add antenna to wifi router or remote pc?

Hi,

I'm wondering whether I should add an antenna to my router, or replace
a remote 802.11g device with a more robust device, or both.

I have a d-link di-524 802.11g wireless router and a d-link dwl-g120
usb 802.11g dongle at a remote pc about 30 feet away. The remote pc
is a Dell Dimension 4600C, which contains only a single half-height
PCI slot, and I chose a USB dongle since there are few half-height PCI
802.11g cards on the market.

The remote PC functions as an HTPC (home theater PC), and therefore
sits on a low shelf in my TV cart. The positioning is very
unfavorable in terms of interference from all the nearby electronics,
and I rarely obtain good signals even though the router is only 30
feet away, and I frequently lose the signal entirely. OTOH, when I
bring a laptop home from work and wander around the house, I get good
signals on the laptop, so I think that the problem is due more to the
dwl-g120 dongle and its environment than to the router.

It would be relatively cheap and easy to add an antenna to the router,
but I don't know whether that will provide adequate two-way
communication if the dwl-g120 is unable to transmit adequately.

Another alternative is to replace the dwl-g120 with a Hawking HWU54D
high-gain USB wireless-G adapter:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Hawking_HWU54D_high_gain_USB_wireless_G_adapter/4505-3380_7-30825857-2.html?tag=glance

Do you have any opinions as to which will work better? Or should I
just buy the router antenna and then try the USB device if necessary?

Thanks,

Jonathan
2 answers Last reply
More about antenna wifi router remote

    jaepstein_63@yahoo.com (Jonathan Epstein) wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm wondering whether I should add an antenna to my router, or
    > replace a remote 802.11g device with a more robust device, or
    > both.
    >
    > I have a d-link di-524 802.11g wireless router and a d-link
    > dwl-g120 usb 802.11g dongle at a remote pc about 30 feet away.
    > The remote pc is a Dell Dimension 4600C, which contains only a
    > single half-height PCI slot, and I chose a USB dongle since
    > there are few half-height PCI 802.11g cards on the market.
    >
    > The remote PC functions as an HTPC (home theater PC), and
    > therefore sits on a low shelf in my TV cart. The positioning is
    > very unfavorable in terms of interference from all the nearby
    > electronics, and I rarely obtain good signals even though the
    > router is only 30 feet away, and I frequently lose the signal
    > entirely. OTOH, when I bring a laptop home from work and wander
    > around the house, I get good signals on the laptop, so I think
    > that the problem is due more to the dwl-g120 dongle and its
    > environment than to the router.
    >
    > It would be relatively cheap and easy to add an antenna to the
    > router, but I don't know whether that will provide adequate
    > two-way communication if the dwl-g120 is unable to transmit
    > adequately.
    >
    > Another alternative is to replace the dwl-g120 with a Hawking
    > HWU54D high-gain USB wireless-G adapter:
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/Hawking_HWU54D_high_gain_USB_wireless_G
    > _adapter/4505-3380_7-30825857-2.html?tag=glance
    >
    > Do you have any opinions as to which will work better? Or
    > should I just buy the router antenna and then try the USB device
    > if necessary?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jonathan

    Try using a USB extension lead to position the USB dongle higher up
    and away from metalwork as much as possible.

    Jonathan Epstein <jaepstein_63@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I'm wondering whether I should add an antenna to my router, or replace
    > a remote 802.11g device with a more robust device, or both.

    Reflectors for both would be pretty simple.

    > I have a d-link di-524 802.11g wireless router and a d-link dwl-g120
    > usb 802.11g dongle at a remote pc about 30 feet away. The remote pc
    > is a Dell Dimension 4600C, which contains only a single half-height
    > PCI slot, and I chose a USB dongle since there are few half-height PCI
    > 802.11g cards on the market.

    Is the dongle plugged directly into the computer, or is it on a cable?
    If it's on a cable, you could simple put it about 1" in front of a flat
    piece of tin, like a pie plate, oriented as a reflector toward the access
    point. The orientation of my DWL-122 is important. It is not an
    omnidirectional antenna. Are you using some signal strength indication to
    orient the dongle?

    You can put a simple reflector on the existing antenna of the access point.
    Try an EZ-10 from http://www.freeantennas.com

    You might be able to make a corner reflector for the dongle, but a flat
    piece works for about 5 points on the NetStumbler scale.

    --
    ---

Routers WiFi Wireless Networking