Why I can't see my D-Link DCS-2100+ from the Internet??? N..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 27, 2004 10:52:46 AM

Hello,

I have:

1. LinkSys Wireless-B
2. D-Link DCS-2100+ Internet Camera
a. http port = 85
b. control port = 5001
c. audio port = 5002
d. video port = 5003

When I try to access the camera at work, I get a warning message (not
sure
if it's Window's or IE's warning message) but it reads "Because the
connection problem of network environment, the transmission protocol
changes to HTTP" with the OK button. I click "OK" and the camera
always says "Connecting...."
but I am not receiving the stream video in the window. I can do
remote management on the camera, ex., configure the camera's settings
but I am just not getting the video.

The tech guys at D-Link are no help. As soon as they hear the camera
is working fine, then that's not their problem.

I've reviewed some of the settings in IE and did not see anything that
could
cause this problem. I believe it's either a security issue at work or
IE setting related. By the way, my machine is W2K PROF and IE v6.0

If you have some ideas or know what the problem might be, please let
me know.

Sydney
sydneyluu@yahoo.com

More about : link dcs 2100 internet

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:15:40 PM

Would assume if its saying;
"Because the connection problem of network environment,
the transmission protocol changes to HTTP"
This would mean your camera is set internally UDP probably by default.
Admin login has a connections page offering check boxes for UPD/TCP/HTTP
Try choosing TCP - that's what I use for dlink router / dlink dcs2000,
with camera set UDP and the dlink di624a router would not work here - and
produces same message which goes no where.

"Sydney Luu" <sdluu@sunocoinc.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have:
>
> 1. LinkSys Wireless-B
> 2. D-Link DCS-2100+ Internet Camera
> a. http port = 85
> b. control port = 5001
> c. audio port = 5002
> d. video port = 5003
>
> When I try to access the camera at work, I get a warning message (not
> sure
> if it's Window's or IE's warning message) but it reads "Because the
> connection problem of network environment, the transmission protocol
> changes to HTTP" with the OK button. I click "OK" and the camera
> always says "Connecting...."
> but I am not receiving the stream video in the window. I can do
> remote management on the camera, ex., configure the camera's settings
> but I am just not getting the video.
>
> The tech guys at D-Link are no help. As soon as they hear the camera
> is working fine, then that's not their problem.
>
> I've reviewed some of the settings in IE and did not see anything that
> could
> cause this problem. I believe it's either a security issue at work or
> IE setting related. By the way, my machine is W2K PROF and IE v6.0
>
> If you have some ideas or know what the problem might be, please let
> me know.
>

> Sydney
> sydneyluu@yahoo.com
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:15:41 PM

test
"bumtracks" <posted@usenet.bud> wrote in message
> Would assume if its saying;
> "Because the connection problem of network environment,
> the transmission protocol changes to HTTP"
> This would mean your camera is set internally UDP probably by default.
> Admin login has a connections page offering check boxes for UPD/TCP/HTTP
> Try choosing TCP - that's what I use for dlink router / dlink
dcs2000,
> with camera set UDP and the dlink di624a router would not work here - and
> produces same message which goes no where.
>

> "Sydney Luu" <sdluu@sunocoinc.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have:
> >
> > 1. LinkSys Wireless-B
> > 2. D-Link DCS-2100+ Internet Camera
> > a. http port = 85
> > b. control port = 5001
> > c. audio port = 5002
> > d. video port = 5003
> >
> > When I try to access the camera at work, I get a warning message (not
> > sure
> > if it's Window's or IE's warning message) but it reads "Because the
> > connection problem of network environment, the transmission protocol
> > changes to HTTP" with the OK button. I click "OK" and the camera
> > always says "Connecting...."
> > but I am not receiving the stream video in the window. I can do
> > remote management on the camera, ex., configure the camera's settings
> > but I am just not getting the video.
> >
> > The tech guys at D-Link are no help. As soon as they hear the camera
> > is working fine, then that's not their problem.
> >
> > I've reviewed some of the settings in IE and did not see anything that
> > could
> > cause this problem. I believe it's either a security issue at work or
> > IE setting related. By the way, my machine is W2K PROF and IE v6.0
> >
> > If you have some ideas or know what the problem might be, please let
> > me know.
> >

> > Sydney
> > sydneyluu@yahoo.com

October 28, 2004 5:43:47 AM

On 27 Oct 2004 06:52:46 -0700, sdluu@sunocoinc.com (Sydney Luu) wrote:

>1. LinkSys Wireless-B

Is there some reason that you've failed to disclose the exact model of
your Linksys Wireless Router? Is it a secret unannounced model
perhaps? Fear of numbers?

>2. D-Link DCS-2100+ Internet Camera
> a. http port = 85
> b. control port = 5001
> c. audio port = 5002
> d. video port = 5003

Looks good so far.

>When I try to access the camera at work, I get a warning message (not
>sure
>if it's Window's or IE's warning message) but it reads "Because the
>connection problem of network environment, the transmission protocol
>changes to HTTP" with the OK button. I click "OK" and the camera
>always says "Connecting...."

Two possibilities:

1. Welcome to the joy of proxy servers. Your office apparently (my
guess) has a proxy server running for outgoing connections. Any ports
not specifically specified in the proxy server is not going to work.
The usual default is to redirect the traffic to port 80(http). That
seems to be what the message is mumbling. Your port 85 traffic is
going out via port 80. Since port 80 is not configured on your
unspecified Linksys model router to be directed to the camera, it will
try forever to connect to something that's not there.

2. You screwed up in redirecting the IP ports in your unspecified
model Linksys wireless router.

>but I am not receiving the stream video in the window. I can do
>remote management on the camera, ex., configure the camera's settings
>but I am just not getting the video.

Ahah. A clue. The proxy server apparently is only setup to manage
"well known ports" which are those less than 1024. Port numbers
greater than 1024 go right through. Change the configuration of your
DCS-2100+ to set the http port to 5000. Change the IP redirection in
your unspecified model Linksys wireless router to correspond to the
port change. It should work.

>The tech guys at D-Link are no help. As soon as they hear the camera
>is working fine, then that's not their problem.

Yep. Applications support is not provided.

>I've reviewed some of the settings in IE and did not see anything that
>could
>cause this problem. I believe it's either a security issue at work or
>IE setting related. By the way, my machine is W2K PROF and IE v6.0
>
>If you have some ideas or know what the problem might be, please let
>me know.
>

>Sydney
>sydneyluu@yahoo.com

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
October 28, 2004 10:10:55 AM

Thanks for responding.

Fear of numbers? Not really. Just didn't think it was neccessary to
troubleshoot this problem at the time when I composed this message.

However, here's what I have left out and maybe it's important to know.
I contacted two friends of mine who work for different companies and
they
had no problems seeing my camera. Does this still sound like a port
issue?

I believe all ports are blocked at my company except 80. But I will
definitely give it a try by changing the camera's + router to point to
port 5000 as you suggested. At this point, I am willing to try
anything...

Thanks again.

Sydney
sydneyluu@yahoo.com

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<9cj0o0pc6q791cueokpootn7spsi70063h@4ax.com>...
> On 27 Oct 2004 06:52:46 -0700, sdluu@sunocoinc.com (Sydney Luu) wrote:
>
> >1. LinkSys Wireless-B
>
> Is there some reason that you've failed to disclose the exact model of
> your Linksys Wireless Router? Is it a secret unannounced model
> perhaps? Fear of numbers?
>
> >2. D-Link DCS-2100+ Internet Camera
> > a. http port = 85
> > b. control port = 5001
> > c. audio port = 5002
> > d. video port = 5003
>
> Looks good so far.
>
> >When I try to access the camera at work, I get a warning message (not
> >sure
> >if it's Window's or IE's warning message) but it reads "Because the
> >connection problem of network environment, the transmission protocol
> >changes to HTTP" with the OK button. I click "OK" and the camera
> >always says "Connecting...."
>
> Two possibilities:
>
> 1. Welcome to the joy of proxy servers. Your office apparently (my
> guess) has a proxy server running for outgoing connections. Any ports
> not specifically specified in the proxy server is not going to work.
> The usual default is to redirect the traffic to port 80(http). That
> seems to be what the message is mumbling. Your port 85 traffic is
> going out via port 80. Since port 80 is not configured on your
> unspecified Linksys model router to be directed to the camera, it will
> try forever to connect to something that's not there.
>
> 2. You screwed up in redirecting the IP ports in your unspecified
> model Linksys wireless router.
>
> >but I am not receiving the stream video in the window. I can do
> >remote management on the camera, ex., configure the camera's settings
> >but I am just not getting the video.
>
> Ahah. A clue. The proxy server apparently is only setup to manage
> "well known ports" which are those less than 1024. Port numbers
> greater than 1024 go right through. Change the configuration of your
> DCS-2100+ to set the http port to 5000. Change the IP redirection in
> your unspecified model Linksys wireless router to correspond to the
> port change. It should work.
>
> >The tech guys at D-Link are no help. As soon as they hear the camera
> >is working fine, then that's not their problem.
>
> Yep. Applications support is not provided.
>
> >I've reviewed some of the settings in IE and did not see anything that
> >could
> >cause this problem. I believe it's either a security issue at work or
> >IE setting related. By the way, my machine is W2K PROF and IE v6.0
> >
> >If you have some ideas or know what the problem might be, please let
> >me know.
> >

> >Sydney
> >sydneyluu@yahoo.com
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 1:03:07 PM

On 28 Oct 2004 06:10:55 -0700, sdluu@sunocoinc.com (Sydney Luu) wrote:

>Fear of numbers? Not really. Just didn't think it was neccessary to
>troubleshoot this problem at the time when I composed this message.

Well, there was a possibility that the problem was at your end in your
router. Knowing the manufactory, model, and firmware versions are
important. However, in this case, it's not at your end.

>However, here's what I have left out and maybe it's important to know.
>I contacted two friends of mine who work for different companies and
>they
>had no problems seeing my camera. Does this still sound like a port
>issue?

It's an IP port (proxy server) issue at your company end. Staying
away from ports below 1024 should take care of it. The clue was that
you were able to access the control ports (5001-5003) but not the web
server (http) image port (85). Move the image port and it should
work.

>I believe all ports are blocked at my company except 80. But I will
>definitely give it a try by changing the camera's + router to point to
>port 5000 as you suggested. At this point, I am willing to try
>anything...

I don't think *ALL* ports are blocked because you were able to get to
the control ports (5001-5003). If desperate, you can chance the
camera image port to 80. However, that will work only if your
unspecified router does not expose it web configuration to the
internet on port 80, and if the port forwarding will allow redirecting
port 80. There are some routers that do this badly so have an
accomplis help with the testing from the internet side.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 11:36:07 AM

Jeff, again thanks for responding.

I took your suggestion. I reconfigured my router and camera to have my
HTTP set to 5000 last night. Tried at work today and still got the
warning
message. Did not work. If ports like, 21 (FTP), 23 (Telent) are
being used at work, could I use one of these as the HTTP? I am not
network guy so I don't have the technical knowledge of how ports work.

Also the video control port = 5003, by looking at the description, I
thought
this was responisble for delivering the video/image, not HTTP=85 which
I had
it before. Can you clarify these ports? When you make a request to
the camera
from office and when the signal travels back to office from home, what
kind of
port information does this signal have? I am just trying to
understand how
the information is being delivered back to the client/caller. Can you
or anyone provide some details to this?

Thanks.
Sydneyluu@yahoo.com

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<mf52o09abrih00sja56neij45ngmjjm9fr@4ax.com>...
> On 28 Oct 2004 06:10:55 -0700, sdluu@sunocoinc.com (Sydney Luu) wrote:
>
> >Fear of numbers? Not really. Just didn't think it was neccessary to
> >troubleshoot this problem at the time when I composed this message.
>
> Well, there was a possibility that the problem was at your end in your
> router. Knowing the manufactory, model, and firmware versions are
> important. However, in this case, it's not at your end.
>
> >However, here's what I have left out and maybe it's important to know.
> >I contacted two friends of mine who work for different companies and
> >they
> >had no problems seeing my camera. Does this still sound like a port
> >issue?
>
> It's an IP port (proxy server) issue at your company end. Staying
> away from ports below 1024 should take care of it. The clue was that
> you were able to access the control ports (5001-5003) but not the web
> server (http) image port (85). Move the image port and it should
> work.
>
> >I believe all ports are blocked at my company except 80. But I will
> >definitely give it a try by changing the camera's + router to point to
> >port 5000 as you suggested. At this point, I am willing to try
> >anything...
>
> I don't think *ALL* ports are blocked because you were able to get to
> the control ports (5001-5003). If desperate, you can chance the
> camera image port to 80. However, that will work only if your
> unspecified router does not expose it web configuration to the
> internet on port 80, and if the port forwarding will allow redirecting
> port 80. There are some routers that do this badly so have an
> accomplis help with the testing from the internet side.
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 12:25:00 PM

On 29 Oct 2004 07:36:07 -0700, sdluu@sunocoinc.com (Sydney Luu) wrote:

>I took your suggestion. I reconfigured my router and camera to have my
>HTTP set to 5000 last night. Tried at work today and still got the
>warning
>message. Did not work.

Did you try it with a friend or accomplis when you set it up last
night? First you make sure it's working before you try it at work.

Also, what are you using to view the picture? A web browser or the
D-Links surveillance software?

>If ports like, 21 (FTP), 23 (Telent) are
>being used at work, could I use one of these as the HTTP?

You could, but I don't think it's necessary. The trick is to find a
port or ports that are not being mangled by the office proxy server.
That would be port 80(http). 5000 should have worked, but I can't
tell from here what's happening.

Time for some details:

1. How are you addressing the camera from the browser?
It should be something like:
http://123.123.123.123:5000 (or whatever)
http://123.123.123.123:5003 (not sure if this will work)
http://123.123.123.123:80 (the official way)
One of these should work. However, I would also try the "Monitor"
application, and not the browser. Will your company allow you to
install the Monitor application on your office computah?

2. Are you sure you have the correct IP address for your home system?
If DHCP or PPPoE is used, the IP address can change.

3. Do you have any kind of "personal firewall" running on your office
PC? XP SP2 firewall, ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Black Ice, Norton Firewall,
McAffee Firewall, etc? These will block outgoing control requests.

>I am not
>network guy so I don't have the technical knowledge of how ports work.

Well, have you considered asking the office network guy for some clues
as to how his firewall/proxy/IDS system works? It would be easier if
I knew what I was dealing with. The important thing is that it does
work with other users that don't have a firewall/proxy/IDS in the way.

>Also the video control port = 5003, by looking at the description, I
>thought
>this was responisble for delivering the video/image, not HTTP=85 which
>I had
>it before. Can you clarify these ports?

80 (TCP) HTTP Port (allows access to web-configuration and transmits
video if other ports are not forwarded)
5001 (TCP/UDP) Control Channel Port (used to synchronize audio and
video)
5002 (TCP/UDP) Audio Channel Port (transmits synchronized audio)
5003 (TCP/UDP) Video Channel Port (transmits synchronized video)

It would seem that you could get video from *EITHER* 80 or 5003. My
guess is that the 5003 is only useful to the monitor application.
5001-5003 get used with the various monitor and security applications.
If you don't care about audio, port 80 will deliver just video.

This might help:
"How do I remotely view DCS-2000 or DCS-5300 series cameras that are
behind a router or gateway? "
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1433

Oh, this is cute.
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1344
If you look carefully at the Javascript code, they don't use port 80,
but have redirected it to port 5004 instead. Well, instead of 5000,
try 5004. Perhaps there's some non-obvious magic involved.

>When you make a request to
>the camera
>from office and when the signal travels back to office from home, what
>kind of
>port information does this signal have?

Well, the port numbers for the outgoing connections from the camera
can be anything between 1024 to 65000. The web servers inside the
camera assigns these on the fly, as needed. You can see these in
action on your PC with:
(open a dos window with Run->cmd or Run->command)
netstat -n
The numbers after the ":" in the "Foreign Address" column are the
incoming port numbers. I don't think you have to worry much about
the cameras outgoing port numbers. What's important is the incoming
(controlling) port numbers to the camera.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 11:37:35 AM

Ok, this is where I am right now and still trying to resolve my one
remaining
issue, which is not receiving video from the Internet. Please read my
comments
below.

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<t3m4o0tfdao7nlr42kkejraekgu1ddm3mj@4ax.com>...
> On 29 Oct 2004 07:36:07 -0700, sdluu@sunocoinc.com (Sydney Luu) wrote:
>
> >I took your suggestion. I reconfigured my router and camera to have my
> >HTTP set to 5000 last night. Tried at work today and still got the
> >warning
> >message. Did not work.
>
> Did you try it with a friend or accomplis when you set it up last
> night? First you make sure it's working before you try it at work.

No, I didn't do this but should have.

> Also, what are you using to view the picture? A web browser or the
> D-Links surveillance software?
>
> >If ports like, 21 (FTP), 23 (Telent) are
> >being used at work, could I use one of these as the HTTP?
>
> You could, but I don't think it's necessary. The trick is to find a
> port or ports that are not being mangled by the office proxy server.
> That would be port 80(http). 5000 should have worked, but I can't
> tell from here what's happening.

Made a wrong choice to set HTTP=21 on Friday. Like I said port 21 is
designated for FTP service and the camera has logic to take on FTP
requests
when it sees 21. What happened was, after reconfiguring both router
and camera
to 21. When I tried to access camera from Internal LAN, it told me
"Access
Denied". Apparently I hadn't setup the FTP account on the camera. I
couldn't
get back to homepage anymore I had to click the "Reset" button to
return
the camera back to its orignal D-Link's defaults and I had to re-do
the camera
setup again. Bad decision on my part but you live and learn.

After getting the camera going again, I reconfigured the HTTP=137 and
asked a
guy at work to try it, it didn't work and he got the same warning
message that I had posted originally. I chose 137 since it showed up
as being used and under the "Stealth" mode - protected by the
firewall.

> Time for some details:
>
> 1. How are you addressing the camera from the browser?
> It should be something like:
> http://123.123.123.123:5000 (or whatever)
> http://123.123.123.123:5003 (not sure if this will work)
> http://123.123.123.123:80 (the official way)
> One of these should work. However, I would also try the "Monitor"
> application, and not the browser. Will your company allow you to
> install the Monitor application on your office computah?

Yes, I know my WANIP is changing but I have DDNS. Here's how I have
been
accessing the camera from the Internet:

via Dynamic DNS:
http://mystatichost.com:85 (orginally set at)
http://mystatichost.com:5000 (orginally set at)

via my WANIP:
http://CurrentWANIP.com:85 (orginally set at)
http://CurrentWANIP.com:5000 (orginally set at)

I don't care about the audio signal. I only want the video. So what
I will
do today is reconfigure both the router and camera for HTTP = 80. I
just wanted to try this port 80 again. It it fails, I will try:

http://CurrentWANIP.com:5003

since port 5003 will be forwarded to my camera's IP. Again, this is
just all
trail-and-error.

> 2. Are you sure you have the correct IP address for your home system?
> If DHCP or PPPoE is used, the IP address can change.
>
> 3. Do you have any kind of "personal firewall" running on your office
> PC? XP SP2 firewall, ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Black Ice, Norton Firewall,
> McAffee Firewall, etc? These will block outgoing control requests.

No software firewall on my work PC other the company's firwall (where
and what
ever this is).

> >I am not
> >network guy so I don't have the technical knowledge of how ports work.
>
> Well, have you considered asking the office network guy for some clues
> as to how his firewall/proxy/IDS system works? It would be easier if
> I knew what I was dealing with. The important thing is that it does
> work with other users that don't have a firewall/proxy/IDS in the way.
>
> >Also the video control port = 5003, by looking at the description, I
> >thought
> >this was responisble for delivering the video/image, not HTTP=85 which
> >I had
> >it before. Can you clarify these ports?
>
> 80 (TCP) HTTP Port (allows access to web-configuration and transmits
> video if other ports are not forwarded)
> 5001 (TCP/UDP) Control Channel Port (used to synchronize audio and
> video)
> 5002 (TCP/UDP) Audio Channel Port (transmits synchronized audio)
> 5003 (TCP/UDP) Video Channel Port (transmits synchronized video)
>
> It would seem that you could get video from *EITHER* 80 or 5003. My
> guess is that the 5003 is only useful to the monitor application.
> 5001-5003 get used with the various monitor and security applications.
> If you don't care about audio, port 80 will deliver just video.
>
> This might help:
> "How do I remotely view DCS-2000 or DCS-5300 series cameras that are
> behind a router or gateway? "
> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1433
>
> Oh, this is cute.
> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1344
> If you look carefully at the Javascript code, they don't use port 80,
> but have redirected it to port 5004 instead. Well, instead of 5000,
> try 5004. Perhaps there's some non-obvious magic involved.
>
> >When you make a request to
> >the camera
> >from office and when the signal travels back to office from home, what
> >kind of
> >port information does this signal have?
>
> Well, the port numbers for the outgoing connections from the camera
> can be anything between 1024 to 65000. The web servers inside the
> camera assigns these on the fly, as needed. You can see these in
> action on your PC with:
> (open a dos window with Run->cmd or Run->command)
> netstat -n
> The numbers after the ":" in the "Foreign Address" column are the
> incoming port numbers. I don't think you have to worry much about
> the cameras outgoing port numbers. What's important is the incoming
> (controlling) port numbers to the camera.
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 12:14:37 PM

On 31 Oct 2004 08:37:35 -0800, sdluu@sunocoinc.com (Sydney Luu) wrote:

>Made a wrong choice to set HTTP=21 on Friday. Like I said port 21 is
>designated for FTP service and the camera has logic to take on FTP
>requests

Please stay away from port numbers < 1024. I'm fairly sure your
company's firewall is "protecting" those ports. If this is gonna
work, it has to be done on port numbers >1024. The Javascript example
for the MacIntosh I posted may offer a clue. DLlink move the main
HTTP port from 80 to 5004. That's worth trying.

>I had to click the "Reset" button to return the camera back to its
>orignal D-Link's defaults and I had to re-do the camera
>setup again. Bad decision on my part but you live and learn.

Note my URL. http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
That's one of the nice things about working with wireless routers and
devices. If you screw up, just punch reset and try again. My
philosophy is that I can make more mistakes per minute than anyone
else. That worked fine until I ran into the medical profession.
Their attitude is to make no mistakes, ever. Somehow, they just
failed to appreciate my methodology. Oh well.

>After getting the camera going again, I reconfigured the HTTP=137 and
>asked a
>guy at work to try it, it didn't work and he got the same warning
>message that I had posted originally. I chose 137 since it showed up
>as being used and under the "Stealth" mode - protected by the
>firewall.

Your office has a NETBIOS proxy going through the firewall? Yech.

>via Dynamic DNS:
>http://mystatichost.com:85 (orginally set at)
>http://mystatichost.com:5000 (orginally set at)
>
>via my WANIP:
>http://CurrentWANIP.com:85 (orginally set at)
>http://CurrentWANIP.com:5000 (orginally set at)

OK. Either of those should work just fine. Actually, we know it
works because a while back, other users at other locations were able
to access the camera.

>I don't care about the audio signal. I only want the video. So what
>I will
>do today is reconfigure both the router and camera for HTTP = 80. I
>just wanted to try this port 80 again. It it fails, I will try:
>
>http://CurrentWANIP.com:5003
>
>since port 5003 will be forwarded to my camera's IP. Again, this is
>just all
>trail-and-error.

Those are two very good tests. Setting it up for port 80 is a good
idea because proxy servers almost invariably setup port 80(http) to be
pass thru. I'm not sure what 5003 will do, but it's also worth a try.

>No software firewall on my work PC other the company's firwall (where
>and what ever this is).

Well, the key to this puzzle is that firewall, which I'm guessing by
the error messages is a proxy server. At least do some internal
espionage and try to find out what make and model so that we know what
we're dealing with. If my guess is a correct, and your company has a
proxy server, simply re-using a port that goes through the proxy will
work. Port 80 is my suggested best shot. 8080(http-alternate) is
another good one to try. A possible problem with port 80 is that your
router may not appreciate redirecting port 80, especially if it is
used for remote configuration from the WAN. Just test it from a
friends or accomplis's machine before you try it at work.

Also, scanning the firewall from inside with a port scanner is
probably a great way to get yourself fired, so I wouldn't do that.

Keep trying and best of luck.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:42:41 AM

http://CurrentWANIP.com:85
no .com on end of ip number
4.4.4.10:85 and not 4.4.4.10.com:85

fwiw.;
Get nearly if not exact message here;
"Because the connection problem of network environment, the transmission
protocol changes to HTTP"
apparently comes from either my dcs2000 or a di624a router. No proxy
involved .
- message has appeared whenever camera is set to stream UDP(UDP=least
bandwidth=none or less sync check/correction audio/video)
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:42:42 AM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 03:42:41 GMT, "bumtracks" <posted@usenet.bud>
wrote:

>http://CurrentWANIP.com:85
>no .com on end of ip number
>4.4.4.10:85 and not 4.4.4.10.com:85

Please re-read the previous 2 replies. He's using a dynamic DNS
service and apparently didn't want hackers like me to attack his
system by posting the real fully qualified domain name. So, he used a
name substitution. There were no IP addresses involved in the command
line incantation. If there were, you would be correct to drop the
..com suffix.

>fwiw.;
>Get nearly if not exact message here;
> "Because the connection problem of network environment, the transmission
>protocol changes to HTTP"
> apparently comes from either my dcs2000 or a di624a router. No proxy
>involved .
>- message has appeared whenever camera is set to stream UDP(UDP=least
>bandwidth=none or less sync check/correction audio/video)

Thanks. So much for my proxy server theory, maybe...

My next potentially bad guess(tm) is that the message is coming from
the camera. The router would have no reason to switch protocols on
incoming traffic. If it really is coming from the DCS2000 camera,
then he's able to make the connection through his router, only to be
rejected by the camera. It would be interesting to know what happens
when "connection problem of network environment" is displayed in the
router or camera log pages.

I thought all the outgoing audio and video was UDP. TCP with
acknowledgements would have too much overhead and really slow things
down. HTTP is always TCP, not UDP. The recommended router
configuration:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1433
shows both TCP and UDP being port forwarded. It shouldn't really
complain about UDP.

I have to remind myself that the camera DOES work through his router
from a friends computah via the internet. That means that his camera
and router configs are probably fine and that it has to be something
at the office end.

At this point, I would fire up a sniffer and see what's going back and
forth. However, that's kinda difficult to do from here.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 4:22:14 PM

fwiw
From a well secured large network IT guy couldn`t complete the connection
to dcs2000 here until he dropped most IE Security settings at his
workstation, ActiveX snafu I believe.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 10:03:28 AM

I still can't the video to be displayed in the browser at work. I
have further
experimented with the following:

1. Reconfigured HTTP port on router and camera at 5000, 5004, 41300.
All these
are just trial-and-error and suggested by
jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us.
Setting ports at high numbers tend to make it worst, not allowing
me to get
the camera at all from internal LAN (inside the home).

2. Took a closer look at some of the camera settings and saw
"Connection Type".
Clicked this button and the available options are UDP, TCP and HTTP
in this
order listed. Reviewed D-LINK's manual to see what these are.
According to
manual and for general users, use UDP and TCP. My LinkSys router
does not
have UDP and currently checked with TCP and HTTP when I did the
"Forwarding".

I manually made it to be "TCP" just for trying. Tried at work and
still got
the original warning message I posted and still no video. Remember I
can get to
the camera's homepage. With this experiment, I now believe this
warning must come from the DCS-2100+ because when I logged on to the
camera, I
noticed it changed my setting to HTTP. Hence, "Because the
connection problem
of network environment, transmission protocol changes to HTTP". The
camera
is really saying, I am changing it to "HTTP" becuase of your network
environment
setting.

Given a bit info here, maybe you guys could narrow this problem down
for me. Is
it still port issue? Remember I can get to camera's homepage and
confirgue settings.

Thanks for all your help!!

"bumtracks" <posted@usenet.bud> wrote in message news:<aMqhd.8299$vB.353@trnddc03>...
> fwiw
> From a well secured large network IT guy couldn`t complete the connection
> to dcs2000 here until he dropped most IE Security settings at his
> workstation, ActiveX snafu I believe.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 7:26:54 PM

Maybe you can pull a single image? Then maybe make a html page with 5sec
java image refresh at least until you figure out how to do the stream.
Example DCS-2000 path ...
http://logmein:p lease@192.168.0.26:86/cgi-bin/video.jpg

If you can install homewatcher.com maybe it will do video for your desk
which would tell you its just your ie settings.

!