ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 comments?

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
Hi all,
Im looking into getting a new system.
A64 socket 939 based with pci-express.
looking at the mobos available and wanted to hear your thoughts on the ATI chipset available on these mobos.
and on <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-485&depa=1" target="_new">this</A> one in particlular if you may. :)
thank you.

Asus P4800 Deluxe - 3.0C - 4X256MB corsair twinx - 6800GT 256mb - sata w/8mb 160gb - 120gb w/8mb - Thermaltake purepower 480w - Thermaltake XaserIII

I don't like MSI mobos. I've had too many bad expereinces with them and I'm not the only one...

I haven't seen in-depth reviews comparing performance with current chipsets. I'm leary of new tech - especially something as critical as a chipset. I'll wait this one out and let it get debugged before I test those waters.

If you do decide to get a board with this chipset, then get something other than MSI and post benchmarks when you get it up and running! :smile:

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
The reason im asking about this motherboard is cause im building a computer for a friend of mine. This specific motherboard is the only solution to onboard vga while still being current with a 939 socket and an optional pci-express.
all other 939 mobos dont have onboard vga. my friend rarely plays 3d games, and the onboard graphic accelerator seems pretty good. So getting this board which is a bit cheaper than other 939 boards plus not needing to buy a graphic card is quite a deal. If you know any other 939 mobos with onboard vga, id be happy to hear about it.
Thanks.

Asus P4800 Deluxe - 3.0C - 4X256MB corsair twinx - 6800GT 256mb - sata w/8mb 160gb - 120gb w/8mb - Thermaltake purepower 480w - Thermaltake XaserIII

And That's the rest of the story...

Ok, with those stated requirements I don't know of a better board that meets your needs. It doesn't make me like MSI anymore than I did yesterday. :tongue: :smile: While the X300 onboard is probably one of the best onboard graphics today, I don't think it will play modern games worth a flip. It is still integrated graphics - did you notice whether the board has dedicated memory or will it be using the system RAM? If it's using system RAM, then get him 1GB. Make sure you flash the most recent BIOS on first boot. I would imagine that there will be relatively frequent updates to drivers/BIOS initially and you should teach him how to do the updates or do them for him...

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
im assuming Nforce and via chipsets dont support including onboard vga, cause not even one board with these chipsets include it. can you confirm this?
I read on the specs of nforce for on nvidia's website, nothing mentioned about onboard vga, but then again, maybe this doesnt concern the type of chipset.
oh and the X300 uses system ram, it doesnt have dedicated ram, thanks for pointing that out. at the cost of another 512mb (i was planning only on 512mb), i might consider just getting a seperate graphic card, and if im on the route, i might consider another mobo :).
but truth is, i doubt he'll play any 3d games. The good thing is that with this setup he can always upgrade to something better, even for the best (except for an SLI configuration ofcourse).

I'm not a believer in SLI at this point anyway - price/performance ratio sucks. You can get a good, single 512MB stick of RAM for around $40 or a 1GB, 2X512MB pack of Mushkin for $85.67. Newegg has some refurbs with some really good prices - Sapphire X600XT for $68.

Stay with an nForce chipset if not going ATI. Something like the Epox EP-9NPA+ for $113 after rebate or for a little less, the Chaintech VNF4 Ultra for $95. I would definitely go with the Epox for the extra $18.

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
everything you said is true.
But ill add another detail to the story :).
I dont live in the states, i live in Israel, and prices here are much more expensive. I wish we were able to order parts from newegg over here. I personally buy a computer like once a year when i come to visit in the states through newegg. just before i go to the states, i sell my computer for more than what i even bought it for on newegg. :)
Ive been recycling the same $1000 for a few years now.

LOL - I love the prices in the states!