newbie question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 27, 2004 6:02:10 PM

Hi,

I got my new laptop yesterday (dell inspirion 8600) with wireless.

As soon as I turned it on and got set up, the computer told me there was an
unsecured
wireless network available, and would I like to connect, so I did.

Then...nothing.
I tried to access the internet, but IE would not use the wireless
connection.
in the configuration, I only have option for dial-up land and broadband.
How do I access the internet once this connection is made?

Thanks,
jojo

More about : newbie question

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 27, 2004 6:02:11 PM

Do you have cable or DSL broadband and a wireless router or access point.
Chances are, if you just connected to any wireless signal (not your own)
then they may be using security (WEP or WPA), in this case you wont be able
to access the internet through them. Download the free wireless program
netstumbler at www.netstumbler.com and put it on your pc. It will tell you
how many connections in range and if they are using securtiy.

"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I got my new laptop yesterday (dell inspirion 8600) with wireless.
>
> As soon as I turned it on and got set up, the computer told me there was
an
> unsecured
> wireless network available, and would I like to connect, so I did.
>
> Then...nothing.
> I tried to access the internet, but IE would not use the wireless
> connection.
> in the configuration, I only have option for dial-up land and broadband.
> How do I access the internet once this connection is made?
>
> Thanks,
> jojo

October 27, 2004 7:41:30 PM

Thanks....It's not illegal or anything is it...to connect to an unsecured
network?

"Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
> Do you have cable or DSL broadband and a wireless router or access point.
> Chances are, if you just connected to any wireless signal (not your own)
> then they may be using security (WEP or WPA), in this case you wont be
able
> to access the internet through them. Download the free wireless program
> netstumbler at www.netstumbler.com and put it on your pc. It will tell
you
> how many connections in range and if they are using securtiy.
>

> "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got my new laptop yesterday (dell inspirion 8600) with wireless.
> >
> > As soon as I turned it on and got set up, the computer told me there was
> an
> > unsecured
> > wireless network available, and would I like to connect, so I did.
> >
> > Then...nothing.
> > I tried to access the internet, but IE would not use the wireless
> > connection.
> > in the configuration, I only have option for dial-up land and broadband.
> > How do I access the internet once this connection is made?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jojo

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 27, 2004 7:41:31 PM

Im a wireless junkie not a lawyer......but if its not secure then give it a
try, just dont have any bad intentions

!