newbie question

Hi,

I got my new laptop yesterday (dell inspirion 8600) with wireless.

As soon as I turned it on and got set up, the computer told me there was an
unsecured
wireless network available, and would I like to connect, so I did.

Then...nothing.
I tried to access the internet, but IE would not use the wireless
connection.
in the configuration, I only have option for dial-up land and broadband.
How do I access the internet once this connection is made?

Thanks,
jojo
3 answers Last reply
More about newbie question

    Do you have cable or DSL broadband and a wireless router or access point.
    Chances are, if you just connected to any wireless signal (not your own)
    then they may be using security (WEP or WPA), in this case you wont be able
    to access the internet through them. Download the free wireless program
    netstumbler at www.netstumbler.com and put it on your pc. It will tell you
    how many connections in range and if they are using securtiy.

    "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I got my new laptop yesterday (dell inspirion 8600) with wireless.
    >
    > As soon as I turned it on and got set up, the computer told me there was
    an
    > unsecured
    > wireless network available, and would I like to connect, so I did.
    >
    > Then...nothing.
    > I tried to access the internet, but IE would not use the wireless
    > connection.
    > in the configuration, I only have option for dial-up land and broadband.
    > How do I access the internet once this connection is made?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > jojo

    Thanks....It's not illegal or anything is it...to connect to an unsecured
    network?

    "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
    > Do you have cable or DSL broadband and a wireless router or access point.
    > Chances are, if you just connected to any wireless signal (not your own)
    > then they may be using security (WEP or WPA), in this case you wont be
    able
    > to access the internet through them. Download the free wireless program
    > netstumbler at www.netstumbler.com and put it on your pc. It will tell
    you
    > how many connections in range and if they are using securtiy.
    >

    > "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I got my new laptop yesterday (dell inspirion 8600) with wireless.
    > >
    > > As soon as I turned it on and got set up, the computer told me there was
    > an
    > > unsecured
    > > wireless network available, and would I like to connect, so I did.
    > >
    > > Then...nothing.
    > > I tried to access the internet, but IE would not use the wireless
    > > connection.
    > > in the configuration, I only have option for dial-up land and broadband.
    > > How do I access the internet once this connection is made?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > jojo

    Im a wireless junkie not a lawyer......but if its not secure then give it a
    try, just dont have any bad intentions

    > Thanks....It's not illegal or anything is it...to connect to an unsecured
    > network?
    >
    > "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
    > > Do you have cable or DSL broadband and a wireless router or access
    point.
    > > Chances are, if you just connected to any wireless signal (not your own)
    > > then they may be using security (WEP or WPA), in this case you wont be
    > able
    > > to access the internet through them. Download the free wireless program
    > > netstumbler at www.netstumbler.com and put it on your pc. It will tell
    > you
    > > how many connections in range and if they are using securtiy.
    > >

    > > "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I got my new laptop yesterday (dell inspirion 8600) with wireless.
    > > >
    > > > As soon as I turned it on and got set up, the computer told me there
    was
    > > an
    > > > unsecured
    > > > wireless network available, and would I like to connect, so I did.
    > > >
    > > > Then...nothing.
    > > > I tried to access the internet, but IE would not use the wireless
    > > > connection.
    > > > in the configuration, I only have option for dial-up land and
    broadband.
    > > > How do I access the internet once this connection is made?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > jojo

Wireless Connection Internet Wireless Networking