Foxconn Installing Safety Nets to Catch Jumpers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
third floor, c'mon thats not far enough. what about a really good 30 floor swan dive. and make sure to wear an ipad as a helmet!

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Really? Nets are the best they can do? It's like trying to stop a serial killer by banning him from using knives. They'll just use a different method. First of all, determine if there is a problem. Foxconn is huge, and suicide rates should be compared to suicide rates of the entire surrounding area. If there is, in fact, a problem, they need to treat it at the source, probably by making people's lives more pleasant. A raise isn't going to fix a crappy work environment.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Wow they pulled the no-suicide because "they realized it was a bit insensitive". Didn't they realize its DUMB. How do you hold someone to a contract if they DO kill themselves? Can you sue a dead body for breach of contract over there (I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone trying it here in the States)

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]xxyyzz[/nom]How stupid do you have to be to see the net and still make the jump?[/citation]
If their lives are so miserable then that actually might sound like fun.

G

I would be tempted to jump off the roof every lunchtime just for kicks if this was my work.

G

I would be tempted to jump off the roof every lunchtime just for kicks if that was my workplace

[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Suicides? There are no suicide issues here. Those nets are part of our antenna mesh to improve reception.[/citation]

For the iPhone 4!!!!

Seriously though, why on the 3rd floor? Someone can still jump out the 2nd floor window head first and snap their neck.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
"Attention Foxconn employees!" "Today is the start of a new day, we now have stress relief programs started on the top level of the building." "Simply talk with HR department to get you signed up for the Stress Relief Roof Jumping Program also known as SRRJP.""We have installed safety nets connecting the north and south sides of the buildings for the weak" "You will need to jump from the east and west sides of the buildings to actually commit your destiny." "Thank you and have a great day."

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]slickyfats[/nom]Wow they pulled the no-suicide because "they realized it was a bit insensitive". Didn't they realize its DUMB. How do you hold someone to a contract if they DO kill themselves? Can you sue a dead body for breach of contract over there (I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone trying it here in the States)[/citation]

they have done it, just ask the RIAA,

PSiKoTiC

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Just. Wow. I seriously think there need to be some ethical production of technology here. Stuff is made cheaply in other places by other companies (atleast compared to north american labour costs) without such morale issues. Sick that I sit and chuckle at these nets, while other people salivate over their new Iphone/Pad. There needs to be more legislation in place to make ethical importation. They do it with coffee now, why not apple?

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]PSiKoTiC[/nom]Just. Wow. I seriously think there need to be some ethical production of technology here. Stuff is made cheaply in other places by other companies (atleast compared to north american labour costs) without such morale issues. Sick that I sit and chuckle at these nets, while other people salivate over their new Iphone/Pad. There needs to be more legislation in place to make ethical importation. They do it with coffee now, why not apple?[/citation]
Technology companies are only a few of the worst offenders. We buy stuff that's produced by slaves every time we go shopping essentially. They won't change anything because they don't have to.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The nets are more in place as a deterrent to spontaneous suicides. It wont stop the ones who have absolutely sold themselves on dieing but it will still keep the guy who just got fired from dieing if he/she jumps. I'm thinking Foxconn is at the point where any idea to reduce/eliminate suicides is a good idea. At least they tried the raises as the first.

Since everyone seems to be making a joke of this:
They could be pigeon nets. Damn flying rats!

Status
Not open for further replies.